Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:23:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Btguard VPN review  (Read 2043 times)
asically (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:02:07 PM

I want user's review on Btguard.com VPN services.

After a moment btquard drop all VPN connection leaving my IP viewable.

I use win8/7 via VMware. I also tried both PPTP and OpenVpn install option with the same results. After about 30 to whatever minutes of normal use, I'm no longer VPNed.

They accept BTC as payment and a torrentfreak review top-pick.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gnu

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:06:53 PM

I've never used Bitguard. But if it's giving you troubles, try privateinternetaccess.com instead. That's what I use with no problems. They accept BTC.
asically (OP)

Activity: 57

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:21:20 PM

I've never used Bitguard. But if it's giving you troubles, try privateinternetaccess.com instead. That's what I use with no problems. They accept BTC.

I tried privateinternetaccess.com a while back. No good for my torrent needs.
They're in the States so anyone can access their logs with a court paper.

My system is highly customized so the Btguard issue may be my own.
ehoffman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:28:22 PM

A few reviews says that they are one of the best one (PIA) concerning anonymity.  If you use shared IP, then there's no was they can keep logs.  And for now, the bill hasn't passed yet about data retention in the U.S. (though that might come in sometime, but I hardly see how you can keep log for shared IP VPN).  When you use that, then what happen is that multiple users are set to this external IP.  So the only way to track you is if they keep log of EVERY packets sent, from which customer, with which re-mapped TCP port number.  Technically unfeasible for more than a few hours.

Dedicated IP is another story though.

Another one is BolehVPN, based in Malasia.  But they are twice the price of PIA.

Both accepts Bitcoin payments.

A good review site is http://www.greycoder.com/best-anonymous-vpn-for-2013/

I personally use PIA.  One good advantage with their client is the kill switch.  As long as the client is still running, if you get disconnected, then it kill your Internet access.  It can also re-route DNS lookups (DNS leak protection).  So it use *their* DNS for all your queries instead of your own default DNS.

Make sure if you use VPN that you check their policy for torrenting.  Both PIA and BolehVPN ask you not to use U.S. servers for torrenting.  They have a list of servers you should use for that.

One advantage of Boleh though is that you can select fully routed server.  So you can forward every incoming port (useful for torrent).  With PIA though, you can connect to some servers that forward 1 TCP port only.  Although you have to re-configure your torrent client incoming TCP port each time you reconnect to a VPN server.  If you leave your VPN connection active, it's not as bad as it look though.  Though the fully-routed BolehVPN servers are dedicated IP (that's why they can forward all ports back to you).

I did try both, and even chained 2 VPN back to back (just to test if it would work...  that was a pain, using multiple virtual machines, but it worked!).

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
paroxsitic

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:38:48 PM

I am not that great with networking but I wanted to prevent this with my own VPN, so I wrote a small tutorial here:

http://www.brianhare.com/wordpress/2012/12/16/prevent-vpn-from-exposing-your-real-ip-on-disconnection/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: