Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:55:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you lose your coins if your transaction never confirms?  (Read 371 times)
kopipe (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 124

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 10:03:29 PM

I read this page: http://bitcoinfees.com/

And it gave me an interesting question: since we are allowed to broadcast transactions with less than the required fees, what happens if these transactions never confirm? Are the coins lost forever in blockchain heaven? Does the person who initiated the transaction have any way to cancel it?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I'm still fairly new Smiley Thank you.

コピペ copypaste
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 10:04:45 PM

And it gave me an interesting question: since we are allowed to broadcast transactions with less than the required fees, what happens if these transactions never confirm? Are the coins lost forever in blockchain heaven? Does the person who initiated the transaction have any way to cancel it?

I once had a transaction that took two weeks to confirm. Eventually your coins will get there.
kopipe (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 10:06:00 PM

I once had a transaction that took two weeks to confirm. Eventually your coins will get there.

Right, likely because of the "rogue miners" referred to on that page. I'm curious what would happen, specifically, if there were none and everyone followed the reference implementation.

This is a theoretical question.

コピペ copypaste
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 10:53:03 PM

If it has 0 confirmations, I believe you can use Pywallet to remove the transaction.
kopipe (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:02:47 AM

If it has 0 confirmations, I believe you can use Pywallet to remove the transaction.

Wouldn't you cause a double spend if you tried to spend the coins after this?

Which, now that I think about it, would cause both to be rejected by the network and the coins to be returned?  Huh

コピペ copypaste
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:05:36 AM

Wouldn't you cause a double spend if you tried to spend the coins after this?

Which, now that I think about it, would cause both to be rejected by the network and the coins to be returned?  Huh

No double spend attempts don't cause coins to be returned.

However if you delete a transaction then your node will stop broadcasting it.  Eventually all nodes delete the oldest transactions so without continual rebroadcast the tx will simply cease to exist.  At that point you can create a new transaction.

Understand this is a hack and in the future you should follow network rules.  The default client won't allow you to send a tx which requires a fee without a fee for this specific reason.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: