Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:26:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When 21 million?  (Read 524 times)
Digitalbitcoin

Activity: 1554
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 07:50:46 PM

Theoretically by 2140, the 21 million bitcoins will be mined. And if you wonder about miners and mining, we will still need them. They will be paid with the transaction fees but not for the newly created bitcoins (as all of them are mined). Hope that help.

Ya its a great feature for futurist after 2130. Little correct as due to time reduction of solving block from 10 minutes to set to reduction of blocks so It will be finished by 2130.

Last Bitcoin will be generate by 2130. This is not obviously a short span of time. Currently we are in 2017. So it means it will take more 113 years to generate last Bitcoin. Till this time if bitcoin survive then it's price will be beyond sky limit.
Argoo

Activity: 2282
Merit: 225

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:52:34 PM

They say that the last bitkoyn will be produced in 2140. Although, given that one bitkoyn mined every ten minutes, it turns out that 21 million will be much earlier. However, it seems to me that by the time the bitcoin itself and its quantity have completely changed. Therefore, it is meaningless to think for a century ahead.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
michkima

Activity: 896
Merit: 514

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:53:08 PM

I know 2140 is a looooong way out, but will the transaction fees alone be able to support the miners? Will too much profit be taken away when there are no new coins to be minted?

Yes it is indeed far far away from now. But yeah that question is valid, but that time miners will be fighting for the fees. If the fees aren't much then it will just balance it out. Likely the number of miners will decrease by then and it will bring things back to equilibrium. Since if miners are not profiting then that means they will not be able to sustain their mining activities which will result to a lot of them quitting and those who stay will be able to earn the fees just to be able to pay for the fees of operating it.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:55:10 PM

Just look at this picture:

When I was a newbie, this picture made me understand how the coin supply would be released across time. As you see, there is still a pretty decent curve from now until 2025, when it starts getting pretty straight. I claim that we'll see anywhere from $200,000 to $1,000,000 by then, given that most of the supply will be mined and exponential demand will keep going on as further fundamentals make Bitcoin more obvious as a store of wealth.
Digitalbitcoin

Activity: 1554
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 08:01:26 PM

They say that the last bitkoyn will be produced in 2140. Although, given that one bitkoyn mined every ten minutes, it turns out that 21 million will be much earlier. However, it seems to me that by the time the bitcoin itself and its quantity have completely changed. Therefore, it is meaningless to think for a century ahead.

I agree it takes 10 minutes to solve  single block to generate 12.5 BTC currently.

In coming future halving also plays important role on production of Bitcoins. We are currently in 3rd phase of halving.

In first phase of halving Block rewards were 50 BTC for 210000 Blocks which were solved in first 4 years from 2008 to 2012.
In second phase of halving Block rewards were 25 BTC for 210000 Blocks which were solved in first 4 years from 2012 to 2016 (Rewards reduced by 50%).
Now we are currently in third phase of having with Block rewards of 12.5 BTC for 2016 to 2020. (Rewards reduced by 50% than second phase).
After 2020 there will be having after that rewards for block will be again reduced by 50% which will be 6.25 BTC for single block solving.

According this calculation it could take 2145. But due to reduction of time for solving blocks (current Block Time is 08:38 min.) according to number of blocks, it will be completed by 2130.
MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 08:14:55 PM

The estimated time when all the 21 million coins will be mined is 2140 but I dont think it is going to take so much time. In 120 years the technology and economy will change.

Even if the mining will become very hard in future ,new powerful machines will be created and they are going to support bitcoin mining so we cant know for sure when will be mined all coins. It can take all 120 years that is estimated ,but it can takes less than 100 years. It is possible that a big investor to start mining bitcoin and they are going to spend a lot of money for technology.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16677

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 11:25:35 AM

~ but I dont think it is going to take so much time. In 120 years the technology and economy will change.

Even if the mining will become very hard in future ,new powerful machines will be created and they are going to support bitcoin mining so we cant know for sure when will be mined all coins. It can take all 120 years that is estimated ,but it can takes less than 100 years. It is possible that a big investor to start mining bitcoin and they are going to spend a lot of money for technology.
Please learn how Bitcoin difficulty adjustment works, it is not possible to mine the last Bitcoin 20 years faster.
The Bitcoin protocol adjusts the difficulty in such a way, that on average 1 block is found every 10 minutes. That won't change.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: