Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:28:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie looking for strategy pointers  (Read 176 times)
caz777 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 03:54:04 PM

Heya,

I am a newbie around altcoins, who hope someone more experienced can help me ensure I am going down the correct route(s). Apologies if it gets slightly technical.

My portfolio consist of roughly 20% BTC, 20% ETH and then the rest is 6 altcoins (ARK, REQ, IOTA, STRAT, QTUM, OMG). My total portfolio start value was only around 650USD (750USD now after 3 days), so not a huge fortune. I hope to build this up by having coins with higher increases than BTC or ETH (otherwise no point in not having everything in those Smiley).

So far my IOTA and ARK are at roughly 40% gain, and I am considering changing them back to either BTC or ETH for further trades.
BTC and ETH is up 10%/5% since I started. I am a little in doubt about what is the best approach. As I see it I have the following options:

1) Keep them, and hope for continued better gains compared to BTC or ETH
2) Change them to BTC or ETH, and then attempt to invest in another coin at a time when it is low.
3) Change them to BTC or ETH and just keep them there.

Number 2) is probably the way I will go (at some time). I see both BTC and ETH as base currencies, since they are the ones I can easily transfer into USD if I want.

Would it be better to change them back to BTC? Or to ETH? Since I bought my ARK/IOTA, BTC is 10% more expensive, and thus my real value gain (in BTC) is around 20%. However changing them to ETH would give me a better value gain due to the lower growth of ETH? If one believe ETH will on average have same %-gains as BTC, then changing them to ETH is the better choice?

Another way of putting it is that if the ETH/BTC trade pair price is higher than 'normal' the better strategy is to change to BTC, and if it lower than 'normal' then to ETH...does this sound reasonable?

Let me know if it is unclear, or if it is just manic ramblings Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:20:37 PM

Heya,

I am a newbie around altcoins, who hope someone more experienced can help me ensure I am going down the correct route(s). Apologies if it gets slightly technical.

My portfolio consist of roughly 20% BTC, 20% ETH and then the rest is 6 altcoins (ARK, REQ, IOTA, STRAT, QTUM, OMG). My total portfolio start value was only around 650USD (750USD now after 3 days), so not a huge fortune. I hope to build this up by having coins with higher increases than BTC or ETH (otherwise no point in not having everything in those Smiley).

So far my IOTA and ARK are at roughly 40% gain, and I am considering changing them back to either BTC or ETH for further trades.
BTC and ETH is up 10%/5% since I started. I am a little in doubt about what is the best approach. As I see it I have the following options:

1) Keep them, and hope for continued better gains compared to BTC or ETH
2) Change them to BTC or ETH, and then attempt to invest in another coin at a time when it is low.
3) Change them to BTC or ETH and just keep them there.

Number 2) is probably the way I will go (at some time). I see both BTC and ETH as base currencies, since they are the ones I can easily transfer into USD if I want.

Would it be better to change them back to BTC? Or to ETH? Since I bought my ARK/IOTA, BTC is 10% more expensive, and thus my real value gain (in BTC) is around 20%. However changing them to ETH would give me a better value gain due to the lower growth of ETH? If one believe ETH will on average have same %-gains as BTC, then changing them to ETH is the better choice?

Another way of putting it is that if the ETH/BTC trade pair price is higher than 'normal' the better strategy is to change to BTC, and if it lower than 'normal' then to ETH...does this sound reasonable?

Let me know if it is unclear, or if it is just manic ramblings Smiley

With such small amount you will not gain much by having BTC or ETH, their daily,weekly and monthly growths are now limited.
Ask yourself:
Do you think BTC will reach 20000$ any time soon?
What about ETH grasping 900$ ?
Now what about ETC reaching 100$?

My opinion is:
ETC to 100$ ( 330% growth) - quite possible.
ETH to 900$ (100% growth ) - maybe.
BTC to 20000$ (100% growth) - have no idea.

You see the point? BTC have to rise to 33000$ to have the same amount of growth as ETC to 100$.
caz777 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:34:27 PM

Thank you for your answer @kahc.

I agree with you. I need to hit some smaller coins with chances for 100%+ increases on shorter timescales.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: