Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:11:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 197 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin Release - First Scientific Computing Cryptocurrency  (Read 687907 times)
n4ru

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:49:14 PM

Has anybody made a GPU miner yet?
a GPU miner will drive up the difficulty and lower the block reward. We'll be dealing with the same exact shit again. What's the point?
"Oh noes don't release a public GPU miner so everyone who can't make one in private suffers".

I'll try to compile one later today.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KrLos

Activity: 768
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:53:05 PM

Finally 1 block of 19.67 in 12 hours...

This is harsh...

I had a phenom II x4 955, minig with 3 threads. getting ~65-80.
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:54:11 PM

Has anybody made a GPU miner yet?
a GPU miner will drive up the difficulty and lower the block reward. We'll be dealing with the same exact shit again. What's the point?
"Oh noes don't release a public GPU miner so everyone who can't make one in private suffers".

I'll try to compile one later today.

Hope you are successful
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:54:28 PM

Cool stuff.  It's great to see all the xperiments and side projects spurred by bitcoin's entrance into the technology world.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
craslovell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 05:00:25 PM

Effectively it's impossible to pump and dump XPM.

Cheesy

I agree. I always wanted to see a CPU-only (no GPU mining ever) coin..
I was hoping for YAC to be CPU-only, but then GPU miners started popping and Sad

You are very naif to think GPU miners for XPM are not already in use.

@ SunnyKing

You should have know that many won't get any coins but dozens will get all of them. You should have know pool for XPM would be ideal solution,
to insure better spread of generated coins. You should have know announcing new altcoin the way you did it is just bad deal. You are on this board
for years now but it seems you have learnt very little. Or it is just like with PPCoin, where dozens including you were ready to instamine it, and got
millions of coins in just few days after the launch?

It seems you are still after original get-rich-quick schemes. Genius, but still scammer.

Millions? Take a look at the total supply mined thus far
eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:02:58 PM

"blocks" : 2070,
"moneysupply" : 41503.7900000

1 block of primecoins should be worth quite a bit.  Tongue

Boing7898

Activity: 686
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:03:49 PM

I agree. I always wanted to see a CPU-only (no GPU mining ever) coin..
I was hoping for YAC to be CPU-only, but then GPU miners started popping and Sad

You are very naif to think GPU miners for XPM are not already in use.

b-bu-but muh cpu farms..
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 05:04:02 PM

I have a very strong academic mathematics background. 'scientific value' is a subjective statement. Most mathematicians would regard anything new or original as advancing mathematics. Do you think patterns in integers have scientific value? Depends on the pattern to an extent and if there are any clear consequences but you'll get varied answers to that question. Some mathematicians and especially scientists such as physicists are snobbish and only regard maths that has a 'real world' application as being useful. It's not clear to me whether this project is finding new prime chain sequences within the known prime numbers or actually trying to determine new, unknown prime numbers using the prime chains as a proof of work. Either way, it has value since it will add new data which will either disprove conjectures or strengthen the likelihood of them being true... plus the analysis of the discovered data could in theory lead to new conjectures (note I know next to nothing about these chains and how much data of them is out there, I'm just writing this reply of the top of my head).

You can also look at this another way. This project could provide a financial incentive for individuals to develop more optimised GPU prime finding algorithms, the theory of which could lead to a greater understanding of prime number distribution e.g. a new sieve or similar construct.

Sunny, can you please clarify whether this project is finding new prime chain sequences within the known prime numbers or actually trying to determine new, unknown prime numbers using the prime chains as a proof of work.

Of course these primes are all 'new'. Finding 'new' primes is not the point, and primes are super-abundant there is no database can store them, it's always trivial to find one not stored in any database.

The point of GIMP is to find the largest known (Mersenne) prime, while the point of primecoin is to find longest chain of reasonable size limit (256 bits to 2000 bits as currently designed). Which one of the two projects is more useful is highly debatable actually. Mersenne has a very long history of study, its infinite existence is not known and they are scarce (only about 50 of them known). While for prime chains, as pointed out by my design paper, these prime chains are connected to the distribution of primes, their infinite existence and distribution is among the top wonders of arithmetic, you know how much mathematician value twin prime conjecture right? At right now I think some mathematicians consider the distribution of these longer chains hopelessly untouchable, and maybe will stay another millenium  Wink  
mustyoshi

Activity: 287

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:13:13 PM

I have a very strong academic mathematics background. 'scientific value' is a subjective statement. Most mathematicians would regard anything new or original as advancing mathematics. Do you think patterns in integers have scientific value? Depends on the pattern to an extent and if there are any clear consequences but you'll get varied answers to that question. Some mathematicians and especially scientists such as physicists are snobbish and only regard maths that has a 'real world' application as being useful. It's not clear to me whether this project is finding new prime chain sequences within the known prime numbers or actually trying to determine new, unknown prime numbers using the prime chains as a proof of work. Either way, it has value since it will add new data which will either disprove conjectures or strengthen the likelihood of them being true... plus the analysis of the discovered data could in theory lead to new conjectures (note I know next to nothing about these chains and how much data of them is out there, I'm just writing this reply of the top of my head).

You can also look at this another way. This project could provide a financial incentive for individuals to develop more optimised GPU prime finding algorithms, the theory of which could lead to a greater understanding of prime number distribution e.g. a new sieve or similar construct.

Sunny, can you please clarify whether this project is finding new prime chain sequences within the known prime numbers or actually trying to determine new, unknown prime numbers using the prime chains as a proof of work.

Of course these primes are all 'new'. Finding 'new' primes is not the point, and primes are super-abundant there is no database can store them, it's always trivial to find one not stored in any database.

The point of GIMP is to find the largest known (Mersenne) prime, while the point of primecoin is to find longest chain of reasonable size limit (256 bits to 2000 bits as currently designed). Which one of the two projects is more useful is highly debatable actually. Mersenne has a very long history of study, its infinite existence is not known and they are scarce (only about 50 of them known). While for prime chains, as pointed out by my design paper, these prime chains are connected to the distribution of primes, their infinite existence and distribution is among the top wonders of arithmetic, you know how much mathematician value twin prime conjecture right? At right now I think some mathematicians consider the distribution of these longer chains hopelessly untouchable, and maybe will stay another millenium  Wink  
Why didn't you up the max length to 2048 bits so we can eventually produce primes that could be used to undermine ecdsa? ECDSA uses primes up to size 2^256, right?
captainfuture

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:15:00 PM

when will difficulty retarget? will it go up or down?
boor

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:40:34 PM

Too difficult to find one block. We need pools.
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 05:47:22 PM

Got 140 XPM from mining. Who wants to buy my privkey?

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:50:34 PM

Btw is anyone is concerned about people using virtual machine instances. The easiest way SunnyKing could disable that possibility would be to exploit what virtual CPU's cannot do. They cannot create truly random numbers and cannot do entropy or encryption very well because of this.
While true (and ignored by most), it's not that hard to work around the entropy issue of virtual machines.

I don't see why you would want to punish Amazon instances. Amazon is very expensive, it just wouldn't be worth it; only hipsters with too much money use The Cloud.

Right now it doesn't seem to be worth it but we don't know how much these Primecoins are going to be worth. They could be worth 0.01 BTC each.
mineral

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:52:59 PM

IMHO, this project is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement of bitcoin.

PoW in bitcoin (and the rest) is an arbitrary search of partial hash collisions, so NOTHING is yielded in this computing effort, just satisfying the proof, no outputs resulting of that.

With the chains of primes found (first class, second class and twined), semi-large chained primes are stored in blockchain, somehow sutaining the underlaying  theorems and giving an output to PoW effort.

People doubtfull must to think: what thing represent a more worthy output from PoW effort , find out partial hash collisions resulting less than a correlative arbitray number or finding new chains of semi large primes ? For me it is clear.

BTC: 1BTGghTiiqz2mQCYP2AiSv5ec5kcvkaJXu
LTC: LfgarrrLJgkZMSUCeScgHatxyfQtiggN9Z
BTG: gTpTt8d9rSejXDm4QX5vrLtPkrXkpwbrDL
bbxx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 06:05:29 PM

i am unlucky here...
just one block within 14 hours mining on
i3@stock and i3570@stock

please share some of your coins
ALWDWYmHtPLWAax9eUxKZFfXLqRLd5emPQ
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 06:06:11 PM

Sure. I wasn't arguing against any of the points you just made Smiley I speak as someone who was at research level in the 'pure' maths field and wanted to provide some insight into the value of this project. I hope you haven't taken the tone of my post the wrong way, I think this is a fantastic achievement and you've made a small mark in history. If I was you I would consider stripping your shroud of anonymity to claim more credit.
mustyoshi

Activity: 287

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 06:07:19 PM

Why didn't you up the max length to 2048 bits so we can eventually produce primes that could be used to undermine ecdsa? ECDSA uses primes up to size 2^256, right?

2^256 is WAY bigger than 2048. 2048 is 2^11.
wait lol i confused myself up to 2000 bits would result in 2^2000, wouldn't it? So that's larger than ECDSA uses... Right?
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 06:12:44 PM

wait lol i confused myself up to 2000 bits would result in 2^2000, wouldn't it? So that's larger than ECDSA uses... Right?

Yes that's right it's 2^2048 so a bit bigger Smiley

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
CryptoBullion

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 06:13:52 PM

gratz one the release looks nice. mining slowly here now blocks yet, but i just started a short while ago

Fold Proteins, earn cryptos! CureCoin. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268556.0
CryptoPCS.com Prepaid phone refills, post paid phone payments, and bill payments https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=285148.0
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 06:20:09 PM

What would be the best pool software to build a mining pool for this coin?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 197 »
  Print  

Jump to: