Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:12:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winkelvoss ETP could become THE pricing mechanism for BTC  (Read 15328 times)
Praeconium

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:21:57 PM

... wouldn't there be more benefit purely for ease of transactions if a public company would have all of its assets in Bitcoin, and issue shares against it?

Well done, you just described an exchange traded fund...   Cheesy
True, but which does not exist anywhere as of now and does not exist as legal structure and asset class in many of developing countries Wink While stocks and bonds remain primary financial assets, at least where I live. And I don't intend on changing that due to fancy asset class.

But thank You for pointing that out.

Further, US ETFs are not accessible world wide, while they may be an ideal way of trading and I don't see how (except from regulation which is country-specific) changes the fact if share You trade is stock of a company or ETF, if underlying is the same, and other terms are similar.

If you don't have exclusive access to the key, you don't own it.

This gets mentioned often, but I think it misses the point.

How is this different for general public and status quo than holding anything other than keys of Your real estate? Its always a claim, while key is held by Your broker/banker/etc.

Technically, if bank would say I dunno You, You wouldnt have access to anything. And I understand that is whole point of BitCoin but this ETF is trying to do exactly opposite, get people to invest in new asset class, just because it provides returns. Rather than because it provides You with decentralised, crypto, pseudo-privacy protocol.

These people do not intend to buy something with a share of ETF, and if and when they sell it, it will be for dollars. So they never touch BitCoins anyways.

if I am getting it right?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:30:19 PM

Lawyer for Winkelvoss Twins’ Bitcoin ETF Says SEC Review Going Smoothly
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/17/lawyer-for-winkelvoss-twins-bitcoin-etf-says-sec-review-going-smoothly/

Very nice observation Greg, however do You think that such fund could be opened on any other reputable exchange and have similar effect or ETF-like investing is predominantly US style?

Loads of ETPs in London, this much I know.

There are exchange traded funds (ETF's) on many exchanges around the world.  Most are traded on the American Stock Exchange or the New York Stock exchange.  My guess is if and when this ETF gets approved, it will stabilize the price, but it'll also be "over priced" vs. the real price of a Bitcoin. 

Since they will be first to the market on an easy access way to trade Bitcoins (yes, arguments on other "easy" ways to own/trade), I think it'll trade above its net asset value (NAV), especially in the beginning.  Many ETF's trade above their NAV and its not all that uncommon.

That would be interesting if the price on the ETF is overpriced! Gold in an ETF runs below the price of cash gold. It seems to me that a managed account would be more expensive. There's been many challenges about there really being gold in the gold ETF though. Is inventory really just swaps and leases instead? I guess the same will be done with Bitcoin through derivatives and I'm sure with obfuscation techniques we'll never really be able to tell all the leverage associated with the Bitcoin... make me wonder. Could a leverage protocol be designed?
Praeconium

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:33:46 PM

Manipulating storage is big business and we can see it from Goldman

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/07/how-goldman-made-5-billion-by-manipulating-aluminum-inventories-and-copper-is-up-next.html

I agree with general view that BitCoin ETF must trade at premium, I don't see how it would trade at discount unless there is fear of what is actually in inventory?
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:39:06 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2014, 01:35:53 AM by Lloydie

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/07/how-goldman-made-5-billion-by-manipulating-aluminum-inventories-and-copper-is-up-next.html

I agree with general view that BitCoin ETF must trade at premium, I don't see how it would trade at discount unless there is fear of what is actually in inventory?
Manipulation of physical inventory is differentiated by the fact that bitcoin is not physical and can be divided to 8 decimals. Ie if you drive up the price of btcs, you do not create scarcity. You increase the purchasing power of existing holders of Btc, thus they go on a spending spree if they were so inclined.

So I say to Goldman - please manipulate Btcs. This would do everyone a big favour.
skivrmt

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:57:33 PM

Manipulation of physical inventory is differentiated by the fact that bitcoin is not physical and can be divided to 8 decimals. Ie if you drive up the price of btcs, you do not create scarcity. You increase the purchasing power of existing holders of Btc, thus they go on a spending spree if they were so inclined.

So I say to Goldman - please manipulate Btcs. This would do everyone a big favour.

Exactly this.  I mean, what are they going to do, hoard BTC?  Buy up all the "inventory"?  A physical asset is much different.  Aluminum is needed by companies to make things.  Gold and Bitcoin are not.  If a company hoards, they will drive up the price.  Ok, so how is that bad?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:47:52 PM

If a company hoards, they will drive up the price.  Ok, so how is that bad?

I can't get them cheap.  Is bad, very very bad.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:08:07 PM

If a company hoards, they will drive up the price.  Ok, so how is that bad?

I can't get them cheap.  Is bad, very very bad.

There really isn't such a thing as cheap coins. 
They are worth whatever they are worth when you use them.  If you never use them it never matters what they are worth.  So from your perspective, if they are worth more when you use then than when you acquired them, you got them cheap.

The ETF slowly bleeds out coins in the form of fees and costs (most of which go to other Winklevoss family companies), so it is not entirely a bitcoin black hole investment vehicle.  There is continuous residual dilution of coins in the EFT and as new purchases are apportioned by the assets held in the fund, this dilution never reverses and forms a type of constant debasement of the per share value over time.
That this small continuous dilution is expected to be more than offset by the improvement in value of the bitcoin held is assumed by most anyone and certainly by all who would invest in it.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:34:23 PM

if they are worth more when you use then than when you acquired them, you got them cheap.

The ETF slowly bleeds out coins in the form of fees and costs (most of which go to other Winklevoss family companies), so it is not entirely a bitcoin black hole investment vehicle.  There is continuous residual dilution of coins in the EFT and as new purchases are apportioned by the assets held in the fund, this dilution never reverses and forms a type of constant debasement of the per share value over time.
That this small continuous dilution is expected to be more than offset by the improvement in value of the bitcoin held is assumed by most anyone and certainly by all who would invest in it.

Cheap when I can buy them, relative to when I can use them is the issue.

The arb is to buy bitcoin and short the ETF.  Poor carry unless it's levered super cheaply.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:39:01 PM

if they are worth more when you use then than when you acquired them, you got them cheap.

Right.
By this metric you can expect the fund to create many cheap coins.
The fund is expected to be a net-buyer for a long time even though it will be selling some continuously for fees.

The arb is to buy bitcoin and short the ETF.  Poor carry unless it's levered super cheaply.

Yes, though with the current activity in the gold ETFs, you are likely to get a better/swifter payout there.  Those are being bled out even now by redemption.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
skivrmt

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:56:32 PM

Can't see this ever being profitable.  Buy bitcoin, lets assume no fees (yes, might be some very low fees).  Shorting the ETF will incur interest.  How much price difference can the ETF really have over, say 3-6 months, over the actually price of Bitcoin assuming the ETF has an expense ratio of 1%?  With the interest for shorting, minor trading costs, I think it'll be a really tough arb play.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 12:15:51 AM

Can't see this ever being profitable.  Buy bitcoin, lets assume no fees (yes, might be some very low fees).  Shorting the ETF will incur interest.  How much price difference can the ETF really have over, say 3-6 months, over the actually price of Bitcoin assuming the ETF has an expense ratio of 1%?  With the interest for shorting, minor trading costs, I think it'll be a really tough arb play.

Definitely.  Try to short both TAZ and TAS.  If you could do it with low carry, you'd be guaranteed an amazing return with essentially no volatility, but borrowing them both is ... beyond me, anyhow.

HOWEVER you could short them both synthetically with postive carry by making diagonal put spreads.  Vol goes up but the outcome is no less guaranteed in aggregate over time.  Similarly with BTC and Winklefloii puts.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

So will it be easily possible to build derivatives on this ETF (options, futures,...)?

How likely is that to happen?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
skivrmt

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 12:56:26 PM

So will it be easily possible to build derivatives on this ETF (options, futures,...)?

Is it easy?  Yes.  Will it happen?  Most likely, eventually.  CBOE (Chicago Board Options Exchange) lists options for a huge amount of ETF's.  GLD ETF is a fairly active one.

http://www.cboe.com/Products/optionsOnETFs.aspx

So once this starts trading hopefully later this year, at some point down the road (3+ months), it'll probably be listed on the CBOE depending on the interest in creating options on it.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:23:32 PM

If a CBOE member wants to make a market, then there will be options.  It's pretty well guaranteed if there is significant traffic.  And there will be traffic.  Oh yes, there will be traffic.

DrGregMulhauser (OP)

Activity: 330
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:05:57 PM

Should the ETF go ahead, then IMHO, it's very likely that standardized options will appear -- and that, finally and at long last, will provide a credible mechanism for large Bitcoin handlers to hedge positions effectively. (No, the existing quasi options offered on "THE" exchange don't come close to offering such a credible mechanism. And the futures available on ICBIT become less and less appealing with every new change to the exchange's "rules".) Making more effective hedging possible would arguably remove one of the major roadblocks currently standing in the way of larger scale adoption of Bitcoin for real commerce.

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
skivrmt

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:19:12 PM

Should the ETF go ahead, then IMHO, it's very likely that standardized options will appear -- and that, finally and at long last, will provide a credible mechanism for large Bitcoin handlers to hedge positions effectively. (No, the existing quasi options offered on "THE" exchange don't come close to offering such a credible mechanism. And the futures available on ICBIT become less and less appealing with every new change to the exchange's "rules".) Making more effective hedging possible would arguably remove one of the major roadblocks currently standing in the way of larger scale adoption of Bitcoin for real commerce.

I would bet the farm on exactly this! CBOE wants to make money.  If a member wants the options, if there is demand, options will be created.  And like another posted said, there will be demand for this.  From this, all sorts of mechanisms are available for larger institutions to "hedge" their bets, in either direction.

On a total side note, interesting company, background, and product on the market Greg.  Montana to England, probably don't see many of those. Smiley 
jtpeters

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:45:54 AM

Why do you think it would only be available to US investors? Anyone can trade on NASDAQ or NYSE or amy of the other US exchanges.

Anyone (with a brokerage account)? Are you sure about that?
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:53:32 PM

Can't see this ever being profitable.  Buy bitcoin, lets assume no fees (yes, might be some very low fees).  Shorting the ETF will incur interest.  How much price difference can the ETF really have over, say 3-6 months, over the actually price of Bitcoin assuming the ETF has an expense ratio of 1%?  With the interest for shorting, minor trading costs, I think it'll be a really tough arb play.

Definitely.  Try to short both TAZ and TAS.  If you could do it with low carry, you'd be guaranteed an amazing return with essentially no volatility, but borrowing them both is ... beyond me, anyhow.

HOWEVER you could short them both synthetically with postive carry by making diagonal put spreads.  Vol goes up but the outcome is no less guaranteed in aggregate over time.  Similarly with BTC and Winklefloii puts.

I was thinking the same thing.

When is this fund going to happen?

Bring it on!
jubalix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 11:34:54 PM

it may, in the short term, but I think the EFT trust risks becoming a sort of myspace (kinda ironic) because as apps get better for handeling BTC until the killer app come thought, why would you use and EFT?

Further the BTC in the EFT are always less secure as they are amenable to court orders.

Admitted Practicing Lawyer::BTC/Crypto Specialist. B.Engineering/B.Laws

https://www.binance.com/?ref=10062065
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:02:14 AM

it may, in the short term, but I think the EFT trust risks becoming a sort of myspace (kinda ironic) because as apps get better for handeling BTC until the killer app come thought, why would you use and EFT?

Further the BTC in the EFT are always less secure as they are amenable to court orders.

Totally different use cases.  The ETF is good for institutions with rules which prevent them from holding BTC (which covers most institutional funds), and custodial accounts generally.  It's also a way to leverage high-quality financial infrastructure for derivatives. It allows one to short at low cost, to lever at low cost, and to synthetically gain exposure (in either direction) with positive carry.
90% of the people do not care about these things, but 90% of the money does.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: