Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:16:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winkelvoss ETP could become THE pricing mechanism for BTC  (Read 15331 times)
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:23:47 PM

I cant think about bitcoin without think about gold too ... I think I need a lobotomy to wipe that correlation from my memory ...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sawani

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:50:52 PM

Anyone dumb enough to invest in a bitcoin ETF, or any "share" of bitcoin being held by someone else, is dumber than a pile of rocks - seriously.
Just buy the fuckin bitcoins and keep them yourself. Why put your trust in an unknown entity? I think a lot of you are still children that need someone to hold your hand for you.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 09:27:04 AM

Anyone dumb enough to invest in a bitcoin ETF, or any "share" of bitcoin being held by someone else, is dumber than a pile of rocks - seriously.
Just buy the fuckin bitcoins and keep them yourself. Why put your trust in an unknown entity? I think a lot of you are still children that need someone to hold your hand for you.

+1
This ETF is total BS.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:32:41 PM

+1
This ETF is total BS.

You guys simple don't understand the benefits of having an ETF for Bitcoin.  This would be HUGE.  One, it would mean that Bitcoin has a small legal standing per the SEC since they approved the fund.  Two, it would mean having options, futures, and derivatives.  If you don't know why these are good for a "currency", do some Google research.  It means companies can hedge their bets if they hold Bitcoins.  Like airlines do for fuel so they are not subject to short term fluctuations.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:44:26 PM

You guys simple don't understand the benefits of having an ETF for Bitcoin.  This would be HUGE.  One, it would mean that Bitcoin has a small legal standing per the SEC since they approved the fund.  Two, it would mean having options, futures, and derivatives.  If you don't know why these are good for a "currency", do some Google research.  It means companies can hedge their bets if they hold Bitcoins.  Like airlines do for fuel so they are not subject to short term fluctuations.

That's probably why these companies already offer trading in BTC futures and options:
https://icbit.se/
http://options.traderush.com/d/en/bitcoin-mining/index.html
http://lp.tradehits.net/pages/lp/lp_bitcoins.php

(No connection with any of these companies, but I've been following the first for a while because I'm interested in derivatives).

This space intentionally left blank.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:47:30 PM

That's probably why these companies already offer trading in BTC futures and options:

(No connection with any of these companies, but I've been following the first for a while because I'm interested in derivatives).

Until its regulated by a US authority or any sort of regulated trading authority it won't mean anything for the real money out there.  I can't seem Amazon ever using any of those sites listed.  I can see them using CBOE which is where the options would be listed for an ETF.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:54:45 PM

Until its regulated by a US authority or any sort of regulated trading authority it won't mean anything for the real money out there.  I can't seem Amazon ever using any of those sites listed.  I can see them using CBOE which is where the options would be listed for an ETF.

Well, that's something else entirely, isn't it? It's not "you don't understand why derivatives would be beneficial", it's "I believe regulation is beneficial". It's a discussion about regulation, not an assumption about how much we need to use Google. For the record, I think chasing regulatory approval to attract "real money" is not a good call - I'd rather see organic growth and no government interference.

This space intentionally left blank.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 01:57:21 AM

There is money that is tied up in accounts that currently CANNOT be used to buy bitcoin until an ETF such as this is available.

Try to buy bitcoin in your 401K lately?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:06:38 PM

There is money that is tied up in accounts that currently CANNOT be used to buy bitcoin until an ETF such as this is available.

Try to buy bitcoin in your 401K lately?

The difference between this and the stock market is that my 401k shares represent an actual ownership of some percentage of the company's shares.  Unless the Winkelvoss ETP would do something like let you trade in ETP shares for bitcoins, that wouldn't be the case here. 

On the other hand, there are already funds similar to this that trade in Gold and don't let people trade them in for actual gold, so maybe it won't matter.  There's a mix in those: I believe some do let traders exchange for actual gold, and some are trading in gold companies, and some are just tracking the gold market and not exchangeable for actual gold.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
DrGregMulhauser (OP)

Activity: 330
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:22:27 PM

The difference between this and the stock market is that my 401k shares represent an actual ownership of some percentage of the company's shares.  Unless the Winkelvoss ETP would do something like let you trade in ETP shares for bitcoins, that wouldn't be the case here...

As with many commodity ETFs, it's only "Authorized Participants" who are able to create and redeem units, rather than we mere mortals.

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:38:17 PM

The difference between this and the stock market is that my 401k shares represent an actual ownership of some percentage of the company's shares.  Unless the Winkelvoss ETP would do something like let you trade in ETP shares for bitcoins, that wouldn't be the case here...

As with many commodity ETFs, it's only "Authorized Participants" who are able to create and redeem units, rather than we mere mortals.

I thought that was the case, but I double checked with the fund I was thinking of and found I was mistaken.  Thanks for clarifying.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:57:00 AM

Other than moving speculation out of the blockchain, and maybe some press, there's not much value added.
I hope they make some $$ but since they are adding zero BTC merchants, what does it add to the BTC economy.  It isn't even the first Bitcoin ETP/ETF

The value added to Bitcoin from this ETF comes from opening the market to many more potential buyers. The current Bitcoin exchanges are exceedingly bad at what they do and scare more conventional investors away. The price of BTC goes up when more people want to buy it than sell it at any given price point.

There are a ton of people who are not tech savvy but would love to make money. If those people are enabled to buy rather than being scared off by technical hurdles Bitcoin would be much more valuable. Exchanges are going to be for the exceedingly tech savvy people who make up Bitcoin's current community and really want to hold onto their own coins. That's going to make this fund the market's primary price setter.

Personally I see another bubble an order of magnitude bigger than the spring 2013 bubble occurring after this ETF becomes available...

An EFT bubble could be the biggest Bull run ever for BTC.

twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:39:42 AM

In my opinion the Winkelvoss ETP will be very unlikely to become the pricing mechanism for BTC, but since the issue was raised

Whats the ticker?   I want to short this sucker
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 02:43:02 PM

In my opinion the Winkelvoss ETP will be very unlikely to become the pricing mechanism for BTC, but since the issue was raised

Its not out yet.
There is probably a long term play in shorting the ETF against a long bitcoin position just because you aren't paying anything to hold your own coins, but I wouldn't naked short this IIWY.
Consider how many billions are locked into US 401K plans that could suddenly flood into bitcoin holdings.  We should expect this to unlock new investment in bitcoin.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:24:03 PM

We should expect this to unlock new investment in bitcoin.

This is essentially what the Winkelvi are betting on.  There's a lot of big money that can't play in this small space and an ETP would really open the doors.  It's not just retirement accounts, think about all the investment brokers who will be able to recommend this to their clients.  It's much easier to tell a client to invest in something on a known exchange rather than, "hey go to this former magic the gathering card website and buy up some of this stuff."

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:57:24 PM

Its not out yet.
There is probably a long term play in shorting the ETF against a long bitcoin position just because you aren't paying anything to hold your own coins, but I wouldn't naked short this IIWY.
Consider how many billions are locked into US 401K plans that could suddenly flood into bitcoin holdings.  We should expect this to unlock new investment in bitcoin.

I sell near term strangles to buy long term OTM verticals.   Little risk but little probability. But works good for shorting
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 07:01:38 PM

We should expect this to unlock new investment in bitcoin.

This is essentially what the Winkelvi are betting on.  There's a lot of big money that can't play in this small space and an ETP would really open the doors.  It's not just retirement accounts, think about all the investment brokers who will be able to recommend this to their clients.  It's much easier to tell a client to invest in something on a known exchange rather than, "hey go to this former magic the gathering card website and buy up some of this stuff."

At least the market has pending good news.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:10:34 PM

+1
This ETF is total BS.

hum why the hell would i want those twisted tools implemented with bitcoin? Speculating with bitcoin price is one thing but i cant imagine the pile of shit whenever those financial scriptural tools get involved in bitcoin globally. Isnt the actual crisis enough already? why always this urge to meet those banksters expectations? why using their tools? why kneeling before the SEC?
people investing in ETF are going to loose everything one day when it all crash and burn.
here we go, bitcoin subprimes! Cheesy
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 04:59:22 PM

Why fight against choice, diversity and new businesses?
They bought the bitcoin, so who am I to say that they shouldn't do what they want with them?
Lots of folks don't like what they are doing, lots do.
I don't think it should be "THE pricing mechanism", ever, but still think what they are doing is a great thing, and they are going after it in a big way with a lot of energy and resources.  I wish them every success.  Just because we aren't their market doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  

Jump to: