Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:14:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to recognize scam  (Read 3157 times)
markers

Activity: 350
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 06:18:48 PM

The best way to recognise scam is to do your own research on team track record, project perspective and announcement correctness, etc. In most cases inappropriate or faulty info become evident rather quickly and easily. The more misstatements or strange things you notice, the more chances that you deal with scam project.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinSpeculator

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 06:28:32 PM

my opinion is you can't if they are good scammers. but according to my experience that's the motto you must remember all your life time ''too good to be true''
Longfellow27

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 06:33:46 PM

Most ICOs that are not successful are considered by many as scams. I think this is a bit unfair. It is not good to consider this as a criteria for judging a an ICO as scam. I think the best way to look at the ICO to be a scam is by checking the team behind it, if they are actually the person as named or just somebody who pretended to be. Second  is that products are developed and without any visible product to show these means they are certainly a scam and the last one that I would be considering is that if the ICO is asking for payments and offers impossible or too good to be true bargains just to attract customers.
idioma1

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 06:35:36 PM

Absolutely agree with your points. Before perticipating in any ICO I often deeple research the project. My advice is to pay attention whether the projects has a ready-made product as it is some kind of guarentee that it is not a scam as well as  long termed activity before ICO. It is an indicator that team goes stright to thir goal and will not give up.
PetrovichCoinMaster

Activity: 224
Merit: 17

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 06:42:30 PM

I think that scammers can very well disguise themselves and it is very difficult to distinguish a good project from scammers.
markers

Merit: 106

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 02:46:06 PM

All you need is to double check key project facts and management statements. Fortunately, if you deal with scam ICO, it takes no so much time to start discovering significant discrepancies between info provided by the project team and reality. Just be careful!

BrentMack

Activity: 204

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 06:00:36 PM

If you are not greedy then you are less likely to get scammed than a greedy person. Knowing a scam is always easy, they always sound too good to be true and they are always making unrealistic promises which means that only greedy people will fall for them and get hooked on their schemes. If something does not have a face behind it, then you should be very wary of that project
Kratos2019

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 05:51:29 AM

In my own opinion. i think you could recognize scams by the way the project is going and doing. and if project isn't competitive in the market at all.
https://medium.com/@dcc.finance2018/stewie-zhu-on-dccs-plans-for-the-southeast-asian-market-7bf0e7bb3d69

To learn more about DCC, you can visit their website at http://dcc.finance/ or follow them on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DccOfficial2018
Nggedebus

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 06:02:31 AM

What important to know if the project is a scam or not would be to check the team behind the project, They should give a complete list of the team member on the thread or sites to indicate that they are the real team and a guaranty of the project, if not, then it could probably a scam project.
That is for myself, better worry than sorry Cheesy
susutao83

Activity: 55

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 02:36:21 AM

I can not determine at the beginning of the project how it will later behave because it is difficult if the conditions coincide with other projects.
Zudalar

Activity: 90

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 02:38:02 AM

I can not determine at the beginning of the project how it will later behave because it is difficult if the conditions coincide with other projects.
Do you read what the Whitepaper is about? Most teams have Whitepapers, Yellowpapers and other papers that will describe what the project is about.
Geoll29

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:23:12 AM

Scam may be recognize if what they are offering is too good to be true. If they are offeing high returns in a short period of time there is high possibility that they aren't telling the truth. They only want to gain much money in an instant. So we should be aware of them.

phpartisanmaster

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:27:38 AM

Hello everyone!

Today I've read a couple of articles and I've noticed that the most people are used to label each ICO as a scam. That is not fair, I know. Especially when you work in a startup launching ICO and do your best to make a project successful. However, having worked in ICO industry I learned how to recognize a scam just from one conversation with a Founder. I don't know how to explain this feeling. Probably, my subconscious translates knowledge, but I could not say a have a large experience.

So I decided to make a list of scam signs: (and this is just my own opinion)

- A founder and a team are not open.

Talking with a founder is always nice. They are usually full of energy and ready to talk about their project for hours. No matter how tired he/she is: when one is asking about a project, a founder starts talking about it with eyes burn with a fire. No matter who you are. When a founder deflects, tries to escape and avoids it makes you think that he/she just can't tell you anything important. What is more, it is crucial talking to a team. When a team member doesn't know how to answer a simple question about a product, it is also a bad sign.

In case of the lack of opportunity to visit an event and to talk to a team, you always can contact a founder and a team online. They should be open and answer patiently all your difficult questions. Even if you ask it every minute.

- Spending a lot of money on marketing isn't always show professionalism.

Just think. A company needs ICO to raise money for a company development. Isn't it a little bit queerly when an unknown company is too fancy. How? And Why? Why do they need ICO if they already have money on expensive advertisement? I don't know too  Huh

- You know nothing about a founder. And you cant find any information about him/her.

Always google the founder. Always. And now I'm not talking about his/her FB page. I'm talking about his experience, education, photos, events he took part in. A founder should not be a mysterious person who came from nowhere. His background should be open to everyone.

- They don't have a readymade product.

Let's make a sober recognition. The competition is high. In the end of 2017 - the beginning of 2018 you just can't appear with an idea and ask for money. You need to develop your product before ICO. It should not be an amazing one. It could be just prototype. But investors need something real. They need to touch and try your product. However, just 16% of all ICO has a product.

And what do you think about it? What are your signs of a scam?

There is no way for you to recognize an ico if it was a scam or not, the best thing to do is just look at its developers if they are legitimate or not in order to determine the project if it was just a fraud.
malading

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:30:36 AM

I think communicating with the ICO team is a very effective way to identify the true and false! We can get a lot of useful information in the interrogation, and even rely on its answer to analyze whether they are really doing something!

Rollkal

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:33:25 AM

What important to know if the project is a scam or not would be to check the team behind the project, They should give a complete list of the team member on the thread or sites to indicate that they are the real team and a guaranty of the project, if not, then it could probably a scam project.
That is for myself, better worry than sorry Cheesy
The easiest way to test is their Telegram community, they do not follow closely the other investors and do not answer honestly about their projects, so keep track of them in 1 The next week you will realize that, you have to ask about the project and find the relevant questions, which will reveal their deceptive nature.
PatStyle88

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:52:04 AM

Hi

I think so like you. Before you invest, you should be really sure if the project can keep up with the market. Especially as you have already written who has desire is open to all questions and would like to explain everything in detail.
Aryan55

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:52:55 AM

It is too much hard to recognize which project is scam. Scammers always disguise themselves but you may contact with them in telegram they will not follow other investors. So keep track on them and ask relevant question about the project which will reveal there truth.
yaknedo

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:23:27 AM

according to me by looking at the project and team, as well as the vision of the project's mission. but we also have to see the ptoyeo market. Whether there will be many enthusiasts or not.
mcconah

Activity: 187
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:25:55 AM

That is a good point and really helpful for anyone here looking for ICO to invest in. Most of them are afraid because many ICO are scams and failed. They need a good one.

( M P C X )  Revolution Starts Here!  ( M P C X )
Digital Crypto Wealth Management Platform
NetFreak199

Activity: 910
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 11:54:39 AM

That is a good point and really helpful for anyone here looking for ICO to invest in. Most of them are afraid because many ICO are scams and failed. They need a good one.
I think it's good to make a distinction between ICO scams and POW MNs scams. But a lot of the time they withh have similar red flags.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: