Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:19:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closed] Bitfury miner group buy + hosting (with ESCROW)  (Read 37279 times)
jlsminingcorp (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 04:22:42 PM

Hi Stinky_Pete, thanks for giving this some serious thought. I can give a bit more info on some of those thoughts now, but others we may just have to wait and see how things develop with the project.

First thoughts:- I'm glad I wasn't involved in the bitburnerXX scheme
Yes, what a shame that was for all concerned Sad. To be honest, I think burnin was probably the most shafted by all of this - think of the time and effort and money that he must have put in to get that off the ground. Anyway, he's moving on and so shall we!

The hardware on offer seems to be standalone boards, rather than direct plug ins for our M-board (expected in October). So they would need a power source, fans, and some sort of physical support. Does jlsminingcorp have these available, or would part of our money be used for these parts? I'm assuming the useful life time of a PSU and fans is far longer than the mining boards, and don't favour buying new equipment. I do have a spare PSU that could be used if it is required.

Yes, they would be standalone boards, but if the design is bitburnerXX inspired then they are easily stackable and can be connected together with CAN bus to make larger "clusters" (e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179769.msg2900642#msg2900642, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179769.msg2901025#msg2901025). Some power sharing, as well as data sharing, is possible between bitburnerXX boards and I'd imagine will be here too. We have a power supply ready that will run the bitfurystrikesback miner. In principle it should be possible to run both sets of hardware from the same PSU, but I'm a bit wary of this, so another PSU would be better. We don't have another suitable PSU free at the moment, so borrowing one or finding a suitable second hand PSU would probably be the best way to go (only ~ 40W needed per furyburner). I don't believe any fans or supports would be needed (they weren't for bitburners).

I don't see that the >40Gh/s speed is guaranteed, rather it seems to be a design goal. End-user overclocking also appears to be a design goal, so final speeds will probably be variable from board to board, and dependent on PSU and cooling efficiently, as well as the end-users views on safe chip temperatures, life time, and general gungho-ness. Does jlsminingcorp have any experience in overclocking similar hardware?
I wouldn't worry about this actually. The bitfurystrikesback chips are seriously under clocked - for power efficiency in the 100TH mine that they were designed for. C-scape has demonstrated 40GH/s from 16 bitfury chips with very limited cooling (marto74 has a s-hash board running well at these clocks - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293030.0). Burnin's design goal is 5GH/s per chip, but nobody has demonstrated anything that high with these chips - an interesting idea though. We've overclocked CPUs and GPUs if that counts. No magic smoke yet Wink.

Do I recall that the equipment will be in a domestic setting? I hope there is good ventilation since I imagine these boards will surpass GPUs in the heat produced.
No need to worry here. A 40 GH/s board would only use ~40W, compared to the ~150W+ from a 7950. Cooling any bitfury ASIC miners will be much easier than getting rid of the heat from GPU mining.

The timetable is unclear, as one might expect. But it seems that CryptX will be handling all the sales and marketing and there is an implication, but no promise, that they will inform people with existing Bitburner orders before the public "We will sent a mailing to all the Bitburner clients with the exact launch moment." also "Prices and Hashrate will be made public at the moment of the launch." (People with existing Bitburner orders also get vouchers as part of a complicated refund scheme). My impression is that the window for purchasing could be short, and so having the funds available to move quickly would be important. (I'm thinking back to the order of the August Bitfury Starter Kit, which sold out in less then 24 hours.)
This is the bit that worries me. We don't actually have much information to go on at the moment. However, I think if we've had the discussion now then we will be in a better position to make a quick decision when the time comes. I am particularly worried about the statement "Prices and Hashrate will be made public at the moment of the launch." If the price increases from burnin's initial estimate then these boards will look less attractive as an alternative to H-boards and there will be no incentive to switch. My suggestion for the group would be that we order the bitfury hardware with the best GH/s/BTC when we have funds to place an order, this makes decisions rather simple.

In these days of difficulty increasing by 30% every ten days, the thought of getting a faster board in early October is very appealing, and I would be happy to invest.

My usual preference is always to keep financial schemes simple, so wonder if this might be better organised as a separate group-buy. If that isn't a viable option, or if the group decides against it, then I would like to see a worked example with some assumed dates, difficulty, and expected payouts, because I get muddled when I try to work them out! Perhaps a spreadsheet so we could all tweak the numbers and see what effect delays or poor hashing rates have.
Our feeling is that to split the hosted bitfury GB into two would be a mistake. Apart from anything else it would penalise this group, who have paid a premium for the starter kit and need to add additional hardware with at least the GH/s/BTC of the H-cards added to the group's mining power in order to offset the higher cost of the starter kit. Having diversified suppliers would for the most part be simple I think. The group's hashrate will grow with more hardware added (whether it's H-boards or furyburners) and a certain number of shares, depending on the price paid for components at the time of order will be issued. If we're able to buy hardware at better GH/s/BTC rates then the GH/s/share for the group will ultimately be better. The only snag is timing - what if furyburner components arrived before bitfurystrikesback components? We've said in the OP that payments will only be made to group members who have shares in components that have been delivered (this is the incentive for early group members, who took the biggest risk). However, it would seem a bit unfair if later joiners whose shares paid for furyburners were to get mining payouts first. I need to give this aspect some thought. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 04:37:46 PM

Now 0 / 10.29 shares remaining for next component (at current BTC rate shown in the OP)

We will ask John K to place an order for H-board #5 as soon as he can and will open the collection for the next component shortly.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 04:57:54 PM

The collection for H-board #6 is now open

Now 10 / 10.29 shares remaining for next component (at current BTC rate shown in the OP)

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:43:39 PM

Our feeling is that to split the hosted bitfury GB into two would be a mistake. Apart from anything else it would penalise this group, who have paid a premium for the starter kit and need to add additional hardware with at least the GH/s/BTC of the H-cards added to the group's mining power in order to offset the higher cost of the starter kit. Having diversified suppliers would for the most part be simple I think. The group's hashrate will grow with more hardware added (whether it's H-boards or furyburners) and a certain number of shares, depending on the price paid for components at the time of order will be issued. If we're able to buy hardware at better GH/s/BTC rates then the GH/s/share for the group will ultimately be better. The only snag is timing - what if furyburner components arrived before bitfurystrikesback components? We've said in the OP that payments will only be made to group members who have shares in components that have been delivered (this is the incentive for early group members, who took the biggest risk). However, it would seem a bit unfair if later joiners whose shares paid for furyburners were to get mining payouts first. I need to give this aspect some thought. Any suggestions would be welcome.

OK, so could we call the furyburner board 'component 7' and collect funds separately from components 6 & 8 (or whatever)? I'm still of the opinion that we should have funds ready to go when the orders are opened - if the performance/price when orders open is not good enough then we just let the opportunity pass and get an H-board instead.

I'd like to see how you propose to deal with the (most-optimistic) timetable if the furyburner board arrives in 'early October' and starts hashing, then the bitfurystrikesback starter kit comes a couple of weeks later. I haven't thought of a good scheme yet...

mare

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 10:14:21 PM

The only snag is timing - what if furyburner components arrived before bitfurystrikesback components? We've said in the OP that payments will only be made to group members who have shares in components that have been delivered (this is the incentive for early group members, who took the biggest risk). However, it would seem a bit unfair if later joiners whose shares paid for furyburners were to get mining payouts first. I need to give this aspect some thought. Any suggestions would be welcome.

you could stick to the OP rule of payout only for delivered boards just for the H-boards while treating any Furyburners as a hedge for the whole group. In case the Furyburners arrive early the payout rule would change and payouts would be made to all share holders for the time being. Thus there would be an incentive for existing share holders to agree to this fury hedge. I for one would buy more shares to get this fury hedge going... not sure though how much this arrangement would discourage potential new share holders from buying into those slightly less attractive shares of the furyburners... just my 2 cents.
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:32:33 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for your thoughts. These were the kind of things that were in our minds too. I will be away from a PC for most of today, but will post some more thoughts later.

Update: John K placed orders for H-boards #4 and #5 for the group last night, so we now have 150 GH/s on order. I'll post screenshots of the order details etc. later today.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:33:44 AM

150 GH/s already ordered for the group

Now 8 / 10.29 shares remaining for next component (at current BTC rate shown in the OP)

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:47:23 AM

150 GH/s already ordered for the group

Now 7 / 10.29 shares remaining for next component (at current BTC rate shown in the OP)

scotjam

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 06:48:27 PM

My usual preference is always to keep financial schemes simple, so wonder if this might be better organised as a separate group-buy. If that isn't a viable option, or if the group decides against it, then I would like to see a worked example with some assumed dates, difficulty, and expected payouts, because I get muddled when I try to work them out! Perhaps a spreadsheet so we could all tweak the numbers and see what effect delays or poor hashing rates have.

I agree that this would be better as a separate group buy. I'm on the fence as to whether I will participate in this group buy, but I would participate in a burnin bitfury group buy
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:54:54 PM

Hi All, so here's a link to the order page for H-boards #4 and #5 as promised

http://s24.postimg.org/ikbyyjjb9/hboards_4_5.jpg

I'll do the calculations and update the OP with the correct prices paid now.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:20:01 PM

I agree that this would be better as a separate group buy. I'm on the fence as to whether I will participate in this group buy, but I would participate in a burnin bitfury group buy

Hi scotjam, thanks for your input, it's very useful to get some insight from potential group members. As I mentioned to Stinky_Pete, we're not too keen on splitting into two GBs. I do appreciate where you are coming from, but personally I think that we should be trying to get the best hardware (bitfury based at any rate) at the best prices for this group and if an alternative supplier comes along that may provide this then we should be highlighting this to the group and (if there's agreement) potentially switching suppliers. If somebody started selling H-boards at 60% of the price of bitfurystrikesback then it would be pretty clear that the group should buy from the new supplier (as long as they seem reputable etc.) I don't think that we would be discussing a new GB in this case. I don't see burnin's bitfury offer as being so different from this situation, although the exact form of the hardware is different to the H-boards. My concern is that if we split into two GBs then they will inevitably compete with each other and both will be weakened as a result. However, this is just my feeling and if the majority of the group want to continue with this GB as we are then this is what we will do.

I'm quite aware that not many current group members have commented on the burnin bitfury possibility yet. If you do have any thoughts on this then please do post here. Once there's been a bit of discussion in the thread I think that we'll be in a position to propose some possible ways forward and take a vote on these.

Stinky_Pete

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:07:59 PM

They're on sale!!

http://www.asic-hardware.com/

Stinky_Pete

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:15:16 PM

I've changed my mind, I now think the Bitburner Fury boards fit into this group buy, and I think we should buy one (with heatsink) or more as quick as we can.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:06:06 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2013, 02:39:31 PM by jlsminingcorp

I've changed my mind, I now think the Bitburner Fury boards fit into this group buy, and I think we should buy one (with heatsink) or more as quick as we can.

The cheeky sods were supposed to email us loyal customers when the site opened, and yet did an email arrive Angry?

Anyway, thought that you would all be interested in some pricing on these boards - not quite what was initially announced Cry!

Burnin bitfury board + chips + heatsink + postage + VAT (> 40 GH/s) = 895.40 Euro = 9.95 BTC (at 90 Euro/BTC) = 4.02 GH/s/BTC
H-boards (25GH/s): October delivery: 390 Euro + VAT = 483.6 Euro = 5.37 BTC (at 90 Euro/BTC) = 4.66 GH/s/BTC

This doesn't look good in terms of GH/s/BTC if we assume that the burnin boards run at 40 GH/s. Since nobody has demonstrated chips running much faster than this it would be a bit of a gamble IMO to assume that they will run outside the 40-50 GH/s range (anything else would be a bonus - if anybody can do it then burnin can though). There could be an advantage with burnin boards in terms of delivery dates if burnin meets his early October delivery estimate.

So after being quite keen on the idea of using burnin as a supplier (based on his early estimated prices) I'm now not convinced there's necessarily a case to switch. It all hangs on delivery estimates now, which are fairly hard to predict.

Anybody else have any thoughts? Stinky_Pete are you still keen even with the new pricing?

Edit: Oops, they did email when the site opened it just ended up in my spam filter - sorry cryptx!

Stinky_Pete

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:50:26 PM

I agree that it's not as good as we expected. Have I seen a figure of 65 Gh/s actually achieved with one of these boards?

I have been looking at the numbers. If we order in the next couple of days we should get delivery "in the first week of October". Our "October starter kit" should come at the end of that month with the additional H-boards coming in later. The difficulty is going up by 33% every 10 days which is equivalent to 235% in 30 days. So spending BTC10 now gets us 4 Gh/s very soon which will be producing bitcoins; one month later spending BTC5 gets a 4 Gh/s board which will only yield half as many bitcoins. (I've assumed that the 33% increase is from sales of many, many USB ASICs and a few big players bringing their machines into the network - if KnCminer bring their machines to market in September that'll make the increases even higher). I suspect the retailers are using similar figures and are pricing their machines as high as they can so that the purchasers might just get a ROI, but may not make it. In late October and November other bitfury powered hardware will be arriving, the Drillbit boards from Australia, and two different makes of 2Gh/s USB sticks.

So from a purely investment point of view my bottom line is, buy now and get mining as quickly as possible. From a having-fun point of view getting one of these boards and tinkering is attractive, so again my view is go-for-it. I can put some coins in now, and I will stand by my commitment of investing my current ASIC earnings for September into more H boards, but it is probably only going to be 1 or 2BTC. I think the days of home-mining for profit are probably over.

flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:14:13 PM

I'm on board with Stinky_Pete.  The longer it takes us to get mining, the longer it will take for us to reach our ROI - if we ever can.  We should get mining as soon as possible.
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:51:40 PM

Hi All,

Stinky_Pete and I had some discussions off thread yesterday and decided that the bitburner fury does indeed offer some attractive possibilities. Firstly, the estimated shipping start date for these is the first week of October (although we don't know yet if they can realistically achieve this) and as we all know the earlier we start the better with difficulty increasing as it is; secondly, as jlsminingcorp had an order with burnin for bitburnerXX hardware we could place an order for bitfury burners yesterday that would be processed in a separate queue to public orders potentially securing an earlier delivery (*see below); finally, there is the potential that the bitfury burners will have a quite competitive hashrate (the quoted range is 40-80GH/s, but apparently burnin has had one chip in his test rig hashing at 4GH/s over the weekend - see http://asic-hardware.com for info). CryptX the distributors have stated that they will offer a 100 Euro rebate on the order if the board does not reach a hashrate of 64 GH/s. As such, we decided to take the initiative and place an early order in for a bitfury burner using funds from jlsminingcorp and Stinky_Pete (http://s2.postimg.org/moagal7e1/furyburner.jpg). Please note that the "discount" on the order refers to the amount refunded for one bitburnerXX and so the total cost of the miner including VAT and delivery was 872.79 Euro.

*Quote from cryptx, who supply the bitfury burners "All orders made by Bitburner XX customers in the first 24 hours after launch will be placed in front of the public queue. This means your order will come in front of public orders even if public orders are made at www.asic-hardware.com before you." Our order was placed within this period.

We propose to offer this bitfury burner as the next component in our group buy, based on 20 shares** for the component (at 0.5 BTC per share) to the group in the same way as other components in this group buy, the only difference being that this component is already ordered and comes from a different supplier. The bitburner fury will become component 7 of the GB (in place of H-board #6). Those who have already contributed to the collection for H-board #6 will be given the opportunity to switch their contributions to the bitburner fury collection, wait until we are collecting for H-boards again or to have their contribution refunded. All other terms and conditions set out in the OP will remain the same. In particular, please note that we will still distribute any mined BTC in the way stated in the OP: "BTC mined will be distributed to group members in proportion to the number of shares that they own and the number of coins mined by the miner (the miner is defined as all hardware components in this group buy that are actively mining) since the last payment.""Payments will only be made to group members who have shares in components that have been delivered. Payments will not be made to group members who have shares in components that have been ordered, but not delivered." This means that if the bitfury burner arrives before the starter kit then group members who have contributed to this component will begin hashing first, but other group members will benefit from better GH/s/share when the components that they have contributed towards come online. I think that everybody should benefit from this.

Since the bitfury burners are estimated to start shipping in two weeks, we will only hold the collection for the bitfury burner open for a short time (until 9:00 GMT on 24th Sept 2013). If there is not enough interest by this time then jlsminingcorp and Stinky_Pete will run the bitfury miner privately outside the group (any shares contributed to the bitfury burner at this point will be transferred to H-board collections or refunded depending on the wishes of the contributors).

** We reserve the right to amend the maximum number of shares if there is a sudden, significant drop in the BTC price. This is to ensure that we are able to cover the fiat cost of the miner. If we have to do this then those who have already contributed shares will be given the opportunity for refunds. If the bitfury burner does not achieve a hashrate of 64 GH/s and cryptx refund us 100 Euro, as part of their hashrate guarantee, this will be distributed to those who contributed to the collection for the bitfury burner as a dividend when we receive it.

I hope this is all clear. If you have any questions then please post here.

flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:30:24 PM

Nevermind on the confusion. I saw the first post of this thread and it cleared it up.
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:47:23 PM

Somewhere in I got confused on some of the details. Let me see if I have this straight:

Option 1: Stay with the original buy-in. When your board comes in you get your GHs you paid for (2GH/s per .5 btc)

Option 2: convert your original buy-in to the new distributor which should deliver sooner than option 1.  When that board comes in, you get your GHs (but it's not clear what that is).  I know it's split up to 20 shares so does that mean that it will be at least 1 Gh/s and potentially more based on the actual mining rate?

Option 3: Buy in on the new distributor by Sept 24.

Is that what you're saying?

Hi, not quite no, sorry if this is confusing. We've updated the OP, which I hope will make things clearer.

* All current orders and contributions to ordered components will stand as they are. They have to, since we've placed orders with bitfurystrikesback for these components.
* The next component that we are collecting for will be the bitfury burner (rather than an H-board). This has already been ordered and paid for, but we're offering shares in it until 24th Sept. If there's not enough interest then we'll mine with it ourselves (outside of the group) and go back to the original plan of collecting for H-boards.
* The hashpower for the bitfury burner will be added to the group's total hash power in the same way that is described in the OP for the other components.
* Once shares in the bitfury burner are gone we will go back to collecting for H-boards from bitfurystrikesback.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:48:14 PM

Nevermind on the confusion. I saw the first post of this thread and it cleared it up.

You beat me to it!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: