Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:57:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... 222 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] DERO: DAG + Cryptonote + Bulletproofs + SSL + POW + Smart Contracts  (Read 122941 times)
--Serena--

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 08:59:08 PM

Alpha release updated: http://seeds.dero.io/alpha/  
Pool operators must update.

This is a bit weird... All official channels from Dero are saying that new Alpha Release must be used but no source code available in the public repository. Why so? Personally I don't like to execute a binary from third parties (even if it's official) without having the chance to explore the source code.

Please, publish the last release code!  

I can appreciate that people want the source code and we will be releasing it soon!
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
--Serena--

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:00:52 PM

I'm confused.

Is Dero open source or isn't it?  If it is, where is the source code?  If Dero has now transitioned into closed-source code, it no longer merits being considered a cryptocurrency.

https://coincenter.org/entry/what-is-open-source-and-why-is-it-important-for-cryptocurrency-and-open-blockchain-projects

The developers say that the older C++ code is no longer supported.  With the source code as yet unreleased, AT THIS POINT DERO BECOMES A CLOSED SOURCE CRYPTOCURRENCY.  Which is to say, no longer really a cryptocurrency or cryptoasset at all.

Can the developers please clarify on this important issue?

The source code will be released soon
--Serena--

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:08:52 PM

In case it is just a delay and the release source code will be published soon, I'd also like to know the point to not make the development open. So anyone can comment, sent PR or participate the code in some way while the development is in progress.

This way of doing: publish binary then some days/weeks after publish code (all in one PUSH) is not the way opensource projects work.

People are welcome to contribute and the previous source codes were released with the binaries. Our development team are making so many changes to the code that by the time someone makes a commit or request the code would likely already be different.
krypt0id

Activity: 148
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:16:28 PM

I'm confused.

Is Dero open source or isn't it?  If it is, where is the source code?  If Dero has now transitioned into closed-source code, it no longer merits being considered a cryptocurrency.

https://coincenter.org/entry/what-is-open-source-and-why-is-it-important-for-cryptocurrency-and-open-blockchain-projects

The developers say that the older C++ code is no longer supported.  With the source code as yet unreleased, AT THIS POINT DERO BECOMES A CLOSED SOURCE CRYPTOCURRENCY.  Which is to say, no longer really a cryptocurrency or cryptoasset at all.

If the source code is available for public view, this would still provide trust through public audit. Not allowing developers to push their own updates at will and not using a free software license would stop forks, though. Forks are a serious issue in the cryptocurrency space today and I hope the dero team has considered that when they set out to make a coin that addresses so many other issues that are killing crypto.

To your point of it not being a real crypto asset because of those things... I think people should take a closer look at the top 50 coins/tokens, if that is true.

DERO - Secure. Private. Smart Contracts.
MedunInfo

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:05:36 PM

I downloaded from http://seeds.dero.io/alpha/ the wallet supports: dero_windows_amd64.zip and dero_windows_x86.zip, (no matter). Up to now, I have already (existing) DERO wallet which is not synchronized anymore. When I run, for example, dero-wallet-cli-windows-amd64.exe, then after "open existing wallet" option, I was asked about the wallet filename (default wallet.db). Unfortunately, I don't find the wallet.db file anywhere in my previous user-friendly skin DeroWallet_Win64_v0.0.3 folder.

Does it mean that, unfortunately, I completely lost all coins what I have in the previous wallet and I have to create a new fresh wallet in a new command-line skin? Or I can somehow recover and return my previous mining founds?
Razkor999

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:05:44 PM

Hey I've just updated to the new Daemon

why does it show my balance like this

deRoMDpU 56215/56215 XXXXX   | 392.08

why is there 392 in yellow?

itslukebenz

Activity: 105

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:09:18 PM

I'm confused.

If the source code is available for public view, this would still provide trust through public audit. Not allowing developers to push their own updates at will and not using a free software license would stop forks, though. Forks are a serious issue in the cryptocurrency space today and I hope the dero team has considered that when they set out to make a coin that addresses so many other issues that are killing crypto.

To your point of it not being a real crypto asset because of those things... I think people should take a closer look at the top 50 coins/tokens, if that is true.

Finally someone said it. Matter of fact I'm damn sure that we can expect Dero clones at some point. However, it's been proven many times that a polite question is enough here if someone needs something and Serena or CaptDero will sort it in a min. No need for rants ladies and gents.
--Serena--

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:09:46 PM

I downloaded from http://seeds.dero.io/alpha/ the wallet supports: dero_windows_amd64.zip and dero_windows_x86.zip, (no matter). Up to now, I have already (existing) DERO wallet which is not synchronized anymore. When I run, for example, dero-wallet-cli-windows-amd64.exe, then after "open existing wallet" option, I was asked about the wallet filename (default wallet.db). Unfortunately, I don't find the wallet.db file anywhere in my previous user-friendly skin DeroWallet_Win64_v0.0.3 folder.

Does it mean that, unfortunately, I completely lost all coins what I have in the previous wallet and I have to create a new fresh wallet in a new command-line skin? Or I can somehow recover my mining founds?

You can recover your Dero by restoring from the same seed you used from your old wallet. You may also use the keys you generated from the old wallet
--Serena--

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:11:22 PM

Hey I've just updated to the new Daemon

why does it show my balance like this

deRoMDpU 56215/56215 XXXXX   | 392.08

why is there 392 in yellow?

Can you restart your pc, restart the daemon, and if the balance has not updated please use the rescan_bc followed by rescan_spent commands

Yellow means it is locked for 10 confirmations. However, we still have a few minor changes to make as sometimes a balance will incorrectly show that it is locked until the steps above are performed.
--Serena--

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:12:05 PM

I'm confused.

Finally someone said it. Matter of fact I'm damn sure that we can expect Dero clones at some point. However, it's been proven many times that a polite question is enough here if someone needs something and Serena or CaptDero will sort it in a min. No need for rants ladies and gents.

The complete license can be found here: https://github.com/deroproject/derosuite/blob/master/LICENSE

This should, hopefully, clear up any questions regarding our license, forks, and other questions.
p4u

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

crypto lover

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:32:31 PM

That is horrible IMHO. This license is completelly not free software.

In hand you are getting the profit from free software like BitCoin (the whole idea), CryptoNote, ByteCoin and Monero. Without them you would have need much more time (maybe 100 years!) to get to the point where you are now in the development.
But in the other hand you are breaking with the free software chain and releasing your new code as non free, so it can only be used for research (WTF?).

That means something, dero team, you are doing this just for your own profit, not for the innovation or advance of blockchain related technologies. That's not the crypto thinking way I'd support.

Still I don't understand what are you afraid of? What's the thing? Someone will make a fork and release a new coin, so what? You are the trusted developers and you will have always the first position on this field, unless you loose it by doing stupid things. Look at Bitcoin, Ethereum, Monero, IOTA and so on.

Finally I would honestly suggest you to rethink about this matter. Release the DeroSuit as free software (GPLv3 or AGPLv3), then your 2 Milion premined coins wiill worth something one day.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:34:07 PM

Does it mean that, unfortunately, I completely lost all coins what I have in the previous wallet and I have to create a new fresh wallet in a new command-line skin? Or I can somehow recover and return my previous mining founds?

You need to select the option, "recover wallet using recovery seed (25 words)" from the wallet-cli menu. You should have written down your 25 word recovery seed when you first created your wallet using the old wallet-cli, but if you didn't there is a command to get the seed from it (I don't remember the exact command and I already deleted the old wallet-cli).

See my previous post where I went through much the same thing as you: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2525508.msg33402693#msg33402693

MedunInfo

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:41:33 PM

You need to select the option, "recover wallet using recovery seed (25 words)" from the wallet-cli menu. You should have written down your 25 word recovery seed when you first created your wallet using the old wallet-cli, but if you didn't there is a command to get the seed from it (I don't remember the exact command and I already deleted the old wallet-cli).

See my previous post where I went through much the same thing as you: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2525508.msg33402693#msg33402693

Maybe this the recovery via seed is not working in my case because the seed phrase is not in English (Latin) but in Cyrillic? (It was one of the options from the previous windows version of the wallet)? Now I am stuck with wallet recovering. Seems that it is completely impossible Sad
--Serena--

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:46:58 PM

Maybe this the recovery via seed is not working in my case because the seed phrase is not in English (Latin) but in Cyrillic? (It was one of the options from the previous windows version of the wallet)? Now I am stuck with wallet recovering. Seems that it is completely impossible Sad

If your seed language was an option before we will work very hard to try to make sure this is the case moving forward. It realistically should not be a large issue, it's more work to get to is all.
Razkor999

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:48:40 PM

Pipe down man ffs, it's a few devs working their nuts off trying to get this straightened out for everyone.
I'm sure all the boring code you want to scrutinize will be available in good time.

Give them chance.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:54:34 PM

Looking at your post history I see virtually no activity between 2014 and now, so it seems more than a bit unusual for you to suddenly show up in the DERO ANN thread and start mouthing off like this. I'm one of the toughest customers around but even I'm finding your self-affront here massively overdone.

p4u

crypto lover

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:58:27 PM

Pipe down man ffs, it's a few devs working their nuts off trying to get this straightened out for everyone.
I'm sure all the boring code you want to scrutinize will be available in good time.

Give them chance.

It's few developers cause they are NOT releasing the code as free software. That makes a crypto project weak and with high probability of failure.

Do you think someone smart would invest in a project that depends 100% of a closed group of people? So, if Serena and CaptainDero stop their activity the code will be not longer maintained thus the token living inside the blockchain would end up not valuable at all.
p4u

crypto lover

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:04:12 PM

Looking at your post history I see virtually no activity between 2014 and now, so it seems more than a bit unusual for you to suddenly show up in the DERO ANN thread and start mouthing off like this. I'm one of the toughest customers around but even I'm finding your self-affront here massively overdone.

So what's your point? I'm kind of someone who wants to destroy Dero?

I'm mining Dero and I love the project (so much that I've come back to bitcointalk after so many time). I think SmartContracts + CryptoNote Privacy  is the way to go, a very important missing technology for the success of the blockchain, distributed systems and socity in general.

I was very enthusiastic until I read the License... which I'm blaming cause it's a very bad idea, on my point of view. I want Dero surviving and strong in the long term, not abandoned cause the community has not taked ii.
cpmcgrat

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:11:50 PM

In hand you are getting the profit from free software like BitCoin (the whole idea), CryptoNote, ByteCoin and Monero. Without them you would have need much more time (maybe 100 years!) to get to the point where you are now in the development.
But in the other hand you are breaking with the free software chain and releasing your new code as non free, so it can only be used for research (WTF?).

That means something, dero team, you are doing this just for your own profit, not for the innovation or advance of blockchain related technologies. That's not the crypto thinking way I'd support.

Still I don't understand what are you afraid of? What's the thing? Someone will make a fork and release a new coin, so what? You are the trusted developers and you will have always the first position on this field, unless you loose it by doing stupid things. Look at Bitcoin, Ethereum, Monero, IOTA and so on.

Finally I would honestly suggest you to rethink about this matter. Release the DeroSuit as free software (GPLv3 or AGPLv3), then your 2 Milion premined coins wiill worth something one day.

I'm going to have to agree with p4u here. As someone working in a datacenter security startup it is vital to understand that having first mover advantage while helping move the space forward for a specific subset it vital for company legitimacy and trust. It doesn't matter if the code is shared and someone re-purposes it, since the Dero team will always be able to iterate faster than the the person using the codebase since the dero team wrote it.

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
cpmcgrat

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:15:06 PM

Do you think someone smart would invest in a project that depends 100% of a closed group of people? So, if Serena and CaptainDero stop their activity the code will be not longer maintained thus the token living inside the blockchain would end up not valuable at all.

Agree on this point. There's loads of examples where the original devs got tied up in another project/new job and had to drop their cryptocurrency project. Following this on open source coins the community can pick up development, sometimes to greater success than the original team. It is a great way to ensure future-proofing and availability of the currency. Why not open for external review (will make the code better undoubtedly) and allow faster iteration through PRs and community engagement.

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
Pages: « 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... 222 »
  Print  

Jump to: