Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:08:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 222 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] DERO: DAG + Cryptonote + Bulletproofs + SSL + POW + Smart Contracts  (Read 122941 times)
nguyentung

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 05:34:39 PM

I think this project will be a success and a new step in the 4.0 technology era
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
usmanov123

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

Chikuntv

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 08:00:34 PM

What does 4.0 means?
Shrimby1

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 08:20:47 PM

What does 4.0 means?

Bitcoin 1.0
Etherium 2.0
Cardano, Neo, Icon etc. 3.0
Dero is seen by some as 4.0 or 4th gen blockchain technology
valgandar

Activity: 104

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

(repost) I just want you all to know that we're still going over all of your feedback and our team is carefully considering everything you say. The Dero team knows that what's going on is not a positive thing, but it's not going to harm the network.

It's easy to get caught up on the things that are troubling you. I believe this is where the saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" comes from.

I think it's critically important to recognize that while others shifted their PoW algos, Dero fixed and continued to work on the issues that allowed so many networks to be attacked recently.

Please don't take that as we're ignoring the ASIC issue, what Dero is doing is looking at the issue from a different perspective and fixing the underlying problems before addressing what exacerbated them.

For full info please see: https://forum.dero.io/t/dero-monthly-update/446

If you have any questions please send --Serena-- a message
This POW is broken. How about switch only CPU minning ? Decentralized and no dump.

To be honest with you, my dream is that all PoW cryptocurrencies could be only CPU mineable (I personally don't like GPU mining, and, evidently, neither ASIC).
gnulinuxkernel

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 12:14:49 AM

Yes, dero would have good technology in future. But righr now asic take 99% reward from them, and hashrate 30-40MH allowed them to make ROI all asics for a one week. Really insane. Dero buyers need be carefull in near future, before asic not exit from DERO, you need to have maaaaany $ to feed asic miners. They digging for 1cent and then sold dero at 75cents. 7500% ROI. I just thought they would resolve those problem with week or few week. But asics already about few weeks(or more) on dero network. . If earlier they take only 50-70%, now it's absolutely 99% holders of dero. I wish good luck dero project, but today you show your back to community and investors, unfortunately :-(. And price look like somebody manipulate already. 30-45 days ridiculuos time to change this situation, because it would be about 150-200K coins to asic owners if 30-45days would continue development. Argh
MATTX

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 12:47:08 AM

To be honest with you, my dream is that all PoW cryptocurrencies could be only CPU mineable (I personally don't like GPU mining, and, evidently, neither ASIC).

very true, gpu companies should have mining kill switch.

Yes, dero would have good technology in future. But righr now asic take 99% reward from them, and hashrate 30-40MH allowed them to make ROI all asics for a one week. Really insane. Dero buyers need be carefull in near future, before asic not exit from DERO, you need to have maaaaany $ to feed asic miners. They digging for 1cent and then sold dero at 75cents. 7500% ROI. I just thought they would resolve those problem with week or few week. But asics already about few weeks(or more) on dero network. . If earlier they take only 50-70%, now it's absolutely 99% holders of dero. I wish good luck dero project, but today you show your back to community and investors, unfortunately :-(. And price look like somebody manipulate already. 30-45 days ridiculuos time to change this situation, because it would be about 150-200K coins to asic owners if 30-45days would continue development. Argh

Dero is already under valued by several times. Just wait and watch Dero atlantis blockchain 4.0 to come live.  Truly decentralization now as many without mining equipments can buy dero.

DERO: CryptoNote Privacy + Smart Contracts   (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2525508)
krypt0id

Activity: 148
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:01:06 AM

You grossly over calculated the amount of dero ASICs have. Also, GPU miners have been mining for months. There is no way ASICs have 99% of the supply.

DERO - Secure. Private. Smart Contracts.
--Serena--

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:14:03 AM

today you show your back to community and investors

On behalf of the Dero team, I want to let you know that making anyone feel this way is not the intention, and in fact what we're doing is exactly the opposite.

I feel it's important to step back for a moment to look at the larger situation as a whole. Many projects that had set fork dates for ASIC-resistance had to push their updates sooner because their networks were being attacked.

Dero has taken it's own approach since day 1. In this case, we feel it's critically important to protect the security, reliability, and robustness of Dero's network to protect everyone's efforts to date. What Dero is doing is looking at the issue from a different perspective and fixing the underlying problems before addressing what exacerbated them.

I strongly feel that when people look back through these posts in the future, they will see that Dero wants the most secure and safest network possible. We will always work very hard to protect our community but you're comparing a critical issue to one that is important, but less critical.

I have been mining Dero myself for 4 months, and so I can understand that ASICs are not ideal. People won't invest in something that is not secure, and they will remember security issues for a long time. It is the miners like you, and I who are effected in the short term, however, in the long term fixing critical issues and prioritizing properly is good for anyone who believes in the Dero Project.
ritmix

Activity: 150
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 04:25:28 AM

(repost) I just want you all to know that we're still going over all of your feedback and our team is carefully considering everything you say. The Dero team knows that what's going on is not a positive thing, but it's not going to harm the network.

It's easy to get caught up on the things that are troubling you. I believe this is where the saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" comes from.

I think it's critically important to recognize that while others shifted their PoW algos, Dero fixed and continued to work on the issues that allowed so many networks to be attacked recently.

Please don't take that as we're ignoring the ASIC issue, what Dero is doing is looking at the issue from a different perspective and fixing the underlying problems before addressing what exacerbated them.

This POW is broken. How about switch only CPU minning ? Decentralized and no dump.

GPU rig can have 8-12 GPUs. I have no idea how to do rig with same amount of CPUs. If each one need his own motherboard and ram... Then that type of mining is sucks. I only know server motherborads with 4 cpu, but it have especial socket (very limited models of CPU can be placed) and can't be upgraded in future. Very uncomfortable and annoying perspective. There will be very small amount of real miners and supporters in way like that. Only botnets... I think it more bad than even asics
valgandar

Activity: 104

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 04:32:50 AM

GPU rig can have 8-12 GPUs. I have no idea how to do rig with same amount of CPUs. If each one need his own motherboard and ram... Then that type of mining is sucks. I only know server motherborads with 4 cpu, but it have especial socket (very limited models of CPU can be placed) and can't be upgraded in future. Very uncomfortable and annoying perspective. There will be very small amount of real miners and supporters in way like that. Only botnets... I think it more bad than even asics

Well, I hadn't thought by your view point before. And it makes sense.
krypt0id

Activity: 148
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 04:53:49 AM

Well, I hadn't thought by your view point before. And it makes sense.

Not to mention cloud mining, when someone spins up a large number of cheap VMs.

DERO - Secure. Private. Smart Contracts.
cpmcgrat

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 06:05:32 AM

Honestly, this thread has been bumming me out, I’ve been a staunch supporter of Dero for months now and used to love the community’s helpful, synergistic vibe. I used to visit this thread and the Dero forum multiple times a day, but find myself coming less and less. The holier-than-thou approach of the team to an outpouring of disappointment from their early supporters and the toxicity that breeds has killed what I used to love coming to this community for.

I think I’m going to look for another project to join and back. Not sure I can keep going with this community in its current state.

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
stef942

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 06:31:33 AM

On behalf of the Dero team, I want to let you know that making anyone feel this way is not the intention, and in fact what we're doing is exactly the opposite.

I feel it's important to step back for a moment to look at the larger situation as a whole. Many projects that had set fork dates for ASIC-resistance had to push their updates sooner because their networks were being attacked.

Dero has taken it's own approach since day 1. In this case, we feel it's critically important to protect the security, reliability, and robustness of Dero's network to protect everyone's efforts to date. What Dero is doing is looking at the issue from a different perspective and fixing the underlying problems before addressing what exacerbated them.

I strongly feel that when people look back through these posts in the future, they will see that Dero wants the most secure and safest network possible. We will always work very hard to protect our community but you're comparing a critical issue to one that is important, but less critical.

I have been mining Dero myself for 4 months, and so I can understand that ASICs are not ideal. People won't invest in something that is not secure, and they will remember security issues for a long time. It is the miners like you, and I who are effected in the short term, however, in the long term fixing critical issues and prioritizing properly is good for anyone who believes in the Dero Project.

this is bullshit, you are killing gpu mining, look at actual hashrate and what it was 2 weeks ago. Your community is gpu miners not chinese asics farms.Go ahead that way and DERO is dead
--Serena--

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 07:09:27 AM

How to start using Dero                Downloads                Whitepaper                Support      

About DERO  

The Dero Project has written a unique new blockchain technology that is based on the CryptoNote protocol. Dero's goal is to create a unique state of the art blockchain technology with enhanced reliability, privacy, security, usability, and portability by bringing together some of the best proven technologies like the CryptoNote protocol and smart contracts, thereby allowing for the creation of truly private smart contracts.

The Dero development team has implemented complete SSL across the Dero network which is a first on any blockchain. This encrypts the entirety of our network traffic, which greatly reduces our attack surface, while simultaneously preventing ISPs or other users from analyzing Dero’s network traffic.

Dero's Key Features  

• DERO is a completely new and unique CryptoNote blockchain written in Golang
  • DERO is the first blockchain to have complete SSL in the P2P layer
  • DERO will be the first CryptoNote blockchain to have 500 transactions per second on its native blockchain without any lightning networks, validators or off-blockchain solutions
  • DERO will be first CryptoNote blockchain to have smart contracts on its native chain without any extra layers or secondary blockchains
  • CryptoNote privacy
  • Smart contracts
  • Atomic swaps
  • Mobile and offline wallets
  • Lightweight wallets
  • Subaddresses
  • Escrow services on the blockchain
  • Address signing and certifying
  • Voting on a private blockchain

About The Developers  

There are three developers working on the Dero Project who have been working in the field of cryptography and blockchain development as a team for more than a decade. Dero's research and development team are devoted full time to the project, and can often be found in our Slack channel. For now, the development team are choosing to retain their privacy until the Dero Project incorporates.

Coin Specifications  

• Proof-of-work (PoW) algorithm: CryptoNight
  • Max supply: 18.4 million for the first 8 years followed by an infinite emission rate after year 8 of ~157,000 DERO/year
  • Block reward: Smoothly varying
  • Block time: 120 seconds
  • Difficulty: Retargets at every block
  • Ticker: DERO

Dero's Roadmap  

• Q1/2018 - Dero's new unique blockchain written and full Activation. - Completed ahead of schedule with the extra addition of complete SSL across Dero's network
  • Q2/2018 - Record CryptoNote TX/sec, GUI wallets, sub addresses, atomic swaps, and smart contract testing.
  • Q3/2018 - Smart contract support on chain. Q3 2018.
  • Q4/2018 - Strategic market expansion, team growth, and more (coming soon).

Dero Related Links  

Resource Links  

FORUM: https://forum.dero.io/
EXPLORER: https://explorer.dero.io
OFFICIAL POOL: http://pool.dero.live/
BINARIES: http://seeds.dero.io/alpha/

Exchanges & Stats:

EXCHANGE: https://stocks.exchange/trade/DERO/BTC
EXCHANGE: https://www.southxchange.com/Balance/Index/DERO
Stats: https://coincodex.com/crypto/dero/
Stats: https://www.difficultychart.com/dero
Stats: https://www.cryptunit.com/coin/DERO

Articles and Media Content  

Dero: A new blockchain technology that brings CryptoNote privacy together with smart contracts.

Shifting from alpha to beta: CryptoNote with smart contracts

Support
--Serena--

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 07:23:03 AM

you are killing gpu mining, look at actual hashrate and what it was 2 weeks ago.--------------------Go ahead that way and DERO is dead

I'm sorry you feel that way. I prefer to look at it as protecting what we've all invested our time and hashpower in versus short term profits. When we provide more updates in the future, including our technical paper, this should be much more clear.

When people look back at this period in time and look to all the networks being attacked, I'm certain that people will truly be able to appreciate how hard our team is working to provide what we consider to be the most resilient blockchain anywhere to date.

I've got more than 100 KH/s (CryptoNight) and I'm not a fan of ASICs either, but I have information about what's actually happening with these attacks and what the Dero research and development team are working on is 100% important.
--Serena--

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 07:34:17 AM

Honestly, this thread has been bumming me out, I’ve been a staunch supporter of Dero for months now and used to love the community’s helpful, synergistic vibe. I used to visit this thread and the Dero forum multiple times a day, but find myself coming less and less. The holier-than-thou approach of the team to an outpouring of disappointment from their early supporters and the toxicity that breeds has killed what I used to love coming to this community for.

I think I’m going to look for another project to join and back. Not sure I can keep going with this community in its current state.

I've reviewed your posting history, and I just want you to say that regardless of anything that has or will happen, we will always genuinely appreciate the support you've shown to date.

People like yourself are a huge part of this community, and I can assure you that even though we're being very quiet (as usual) we are 100% working on what we know are very important issues.

We've tried hard to be good about staying in contact and addressing feedback, this should help indicate the seriousness we place on the part of the development process Dero's team is working on currently. I can assure you that we read every single comment on bitcointalk/forums/Slack/Discord and we do not take the ASICs lightly. Much more importantly than a box (ASIC) though, is how we feel about our community.

We're weighing 2 very important things at the moment: Network security, stability, and reliability and what the community is saying. We have some (private) very important information/data on our end that is heavily contributing to our decision to focus where we are.
copatel

Activity: 78

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 09:26:12 AM

240kh/s  (quantum processor inside)
https://www.asicminervalue.com/miners/innosilicon/a8-cryptomaster-1

Electroneum dies
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/electroneum/
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 11:37:03 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2018, 12:37:28 PM by MagicSmoker

...The holier-than-thou approach of the team to an outpouring of disappointment from their early supporters and the toxicity that breeds has killed what I used to love coming to this community for....

We're weighing 2 very important things at the moment: Network security, stability, and reliability and what the community is saying. We have some (private) very important information/data on our end that is heavily contributing to our decision to focus where we are.

While I can understand the argument for continuing with core development - especially to address these nebulous "security" issues you keep alluding too - I also wish to invoke the apocryphal quote usually attributed to John Maynard Keynes* - "When the facts change, I change my mind; what do you do?"

More specifically, the fact that changed here is the network hashrate, which has gone from 5MH/s to as much as 100MH/s. Contrast that with ZenCash, for example, which has a network hashrate of 75-80MH/s and a market cap of $131M (all $ in USD), so is worth about $1.75 per MH/s. The situation is even more stark with Monero, which now has a hashrate of 530MH/s and a market cap of $4.5B, so is worth about $8.50 per MH/s. Extrapolating these two examples to DERO would result in a market cap of somewhere between $87.5M ($1.75 * 50Mh/s) to $850M ($8.50 * 100MH/s)**. Does even the lower valuation seem at all realistic given the recent market conditions and the near total absence of any actual use for DERO (at the moment)? Not to me, it doesn't.

I rather suspect the pitchforks and cudgels would be brought out if DERO's price had continued its downward trajectory, but fortunately for all it seems to have not only stopped declining, but reversed smartly to the upside, and so the community is merely upset, rather than furious. But again, the facts have changed, --Serena-- and CaptDero; will you change your minds, or stubbornly continue on the same path?

* - but most likely first said by another economist, Paul Samuelson

** - I picked ZEN because the equihash algo generates a similar hashrate to CryptoNight with similar hardware; XMR is the more obvious analog to DERO here, of course.
Speedie

Activity: 504
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 01:27:52 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2018, 01:51:31 PM by Speedie
Merited by Csouza (1)

...The holier-than-thou approach of the team to an outpouring of disappointment from their early supporters and the toxicity that breeds has killed what I used to love coming to this community for....

While I can understand the argument for continuing with core development - especially to address these nebulous "security" issues you keep alluding too - I also wish to invoke the apocryphal quote usually attributed to John Maynard Keynes* - "When the facts change, I change my mind; what do you do?"

More specifically, the fact that changed here is the network hashrate, which has gone from 5MH/s to as much as 100MH/s. Contrast that with ZenCash, for example, which has a network hashrate of 75-80MH/s and a market cap of $131M (all $ in USD), so is worth about $1.75 per MH/s. The situation is even more stark with Monero, which now has a hashrate of 530MH/s and a market cap of $4.5B, so is worth about $8.50 per MH/s. Extrapolating these two examples to DERO would result in a market cap of somewhere between $87.5M ($1.75 * 50Mh/s) to $850M ($8.50 * 100MH/s). Does even the lower valuation seem at all realistic given the recent market conditions and the near total absence of any actual use for DERO (at the moment)? Not to me, it doesn't.

I rather suspect the pitchforks and cudgels would be brought out if DERO's price had continued its downward trajectory, but fortunately for all it seems to have not only stopped declining, but reversed smartly to the upside, and so the community is merely upset, rather than furious. But again, the facts have changed, --Serena-- and CaptDero; will you change your minds, or stubbornly continue on the same path?

* - but most likely first said by another economist, Paul Samuelson

I think that you and I are generally of a like mind, not just where DERO is concerned but also regarding other projects in which we have a mutual interest, but I don't agree with you 100% on this one.

In real life, something that I'm regularly faced with is stress testing applications, the web server stacks that serve them, and the hardware that it all runs on. One of the most difficult things to come up with is "actual usage" tests (rather than something as simplistic as ApacheBench or similar) that simulate real world usage patterns. Part of the reason that it's so difficult is because there's nothing even close to a standard usage pattern when hosting mixed-application websites belonging to hundreds of different people and with wildly varying traffic patterns, application configurations, resource requirements etc.

One can easily see where the emergence of ASICs and the sudden surge in attacks and the network hash rate has dropped a rather useful "real world" stress test right into the DERO developers' laps. Consider what other projects have done. ITNS was attacked and essentially went offline while a hardfork was implemented and the chain rolled back. XVG was attacked and basically exposed the absolute incompetence of the developers who had no idea how to respond. There are other examples I'm sure, but those are the two that I'm most familiar with.

Imagine that ITNS was more mature and in heavy worldwide usage. Can you picture the sheer chaos caused by a hardfork and roll back of the chain? Even if the usage was related to its primary function (a mechanism for VPN services) and not more widespread commerce, that would mean that payments to providers would essentially be undone for the entire duration of the roll back, and that the VPN services that people had come to rely on were not available to them. Would ITNS be trusted again in such a scenario, even after the fix had been implemented? Maybe. Maybe not. There would be an awful lot of VPN service providers who would be mightily pissed, and rightly so.

DERO, as you rightly said, doesn't currently have an actual use case. There are no end-users to inconvenience, no commercial transactions to be interrupted or rolled back. It's a new blockchain technology in its infancy, and the only people being inconvenienced are GPU and CPU miners. Does the current surge in the network hash rate suck for them in the short term? Sure. Though it's really not that hard to mine something else and exchange it for DERO at a rate far higher than can be obtained by just mining DERO. Example: I can mine less than 3 DERO per day with my measly 10KH/s, but I can mine XMR and buy more than 20 DERO per day. That's not far off what I was mining before the ASIC invasion.

The DERO developers however are getting that real life stress test that I talked about earlier, and they're getting it for free. The network has been attacked, the attacks have failed. The hash rate is 10x what it was pre-ASICs and yet everything continues to run smoothly. Heck, just look at the number of Alpha releases that came one after the other in response to the attacks and network surge. The devs were clearly learning, and learning fast, not just from what was happening to DERO but to other projects too. You simply cannot buy that kind of data about how a blockchain will respond to suddenly changing conditions and / or attacks of various amplitudes.

With that in mind, I'm not at all convinced that an immediate hard fork to ward off the evil ASICs is (or was) necessarily in the best long term interests of the DERO project, its supporters, and its investors. Nothing is learned that way. And when new ASICs come out that can mine v7, Lite, Heavy etc the projects that swept network / security issues under the rug with a simple algo change will find themselves in the same situation again.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the DERO devs should be applauded, not castigated, for taking this free-of-charge real world stress test, patiently learning lessons from it and applying them to the underlying blockchain technology, and THEN eventually making a switch to a different algo once they've learned all that they can. In doing so, they're showing the kind of foresight and discipline that we should all want in the devs of a project that we hope will flourish into something massive.

Short term pain for long term gains. I can live with that.

P.S. Wanted to add some quick math since I know you love it as much as I do. Pre-ASICs my 10KH/s was mining ~25-30 DERO per day, and by mining XMR then exchanging it for DERO I can currently buy ~20 DERO per day. Worst case scenario, it's costing me 10 DERO per day. Let's say that DERO doesn't implement a new algo for 2 months - 60 days. The total cost to me is 600 DERO, or at the current price about $540. Will I trade that for all of the lessons that are being learned and put into practice by the devs? Every day, and twice on Sundays. If DERO takes off as we all hope it will, it's well worth that to me to avoid the pains that the ETH network experienced.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:09:44 PM

More specifically, the fact that changed here is the network hashrate, which has gone from 5MH/s to as much as 100MH/s.

I think that you and I are generally of a like mind, not just where DERO is concerned but also regarding other projects in which we have a mutual interest, but I don't agree with you 100% on this one.
The DERO developers however are getting that real life stress test that I talked about earlier, and they're getting it for free. The network has been attacked, the attacks have failed. The hash rate is 10x what it was pre-ASICs and yet everything continues to run smoothly. Heck, just look at the number of Alpha releases that came one after the other in response to the attacks and network surge. The devs were clearly learning, and learning fast, not just from what was happening to DERO but to other projects too. You simply cannot buy that kind of data about how a blockchain will respond to suddenly changing conditions and / or attacks of various amplitudes.

With that in mind, I'm not at all convinced that an immediate hard fork to ward off the evil ASICs is (or was) necessarily in the best long term interests of the DERO project, its supporters, and its investors. Nothing is learned that way. And when new ASICs come out that can mine v7, Lite, Heavy etc the projects that swept network / security issues under the rug with a simple algo change will find themselves in the same situation again.

Likewise, I agree with you almost, but not quite, 100%. Where I differ with you is that I see the DERO network as having already passed the stress test, more or less, and so it now seems reasonable to divert some effort into forking off the ASICs. I want to emphasize that I would rather DERO continue on with its core development plan for the same reasons as you: it's best for the long term success of the coin, and I am also mining XMR to buy DERO, so the presence of ASICs is mainly an annoyance, rather than something that totally incapacitates my ability to acquire more DERO from mining. And since anyone who wants to mine DERO can also mine [insert whatever coin] then sell it to buy DERO, too, there really isn't a rational argument to press for forking...

..however, humans aren't entirely rational, and so forking off the ASICs will almost certainly generate much good will.

Furthermore, changing the PoW algo would also give the DERO team valuable and relevant real-world experience, much as the massive hashrate increase and hack attempts of the last few weeks have provided. In fact, I rather suspect all coins are going to have to be a bit more proactive with changing their PoW algos on a regular basis because the rollout of CN ASICs proved that "ASIC-resistant" does not equal "ASIC-proof". It looks like an arms race between coin devs and ASIC manufacturers is all but certain now, so might as well take the fork in the road, to paraphrase the late, great Yogi Berra.

P.S. Wanted to add some quick math since I know you love it as much as I do. Pre-ASICs my 10KH/s was mining ~25-30 DERO per day, and by mining XMR then exchanging it for DERO I can currently buy ~20 DERO per day. Worst case scenario, it's costing me 10 DERO per day. Let's say that DERO doesn't implement a new algo for 2 months - 60 days. The total cost to me is 600 DERO, or at the current price about $540. Will I trade that for all of the lessons that are being learned and put into practice by the devs? Every day, and twice on Sundays. If DERO takes off as we all hope it will, it's well worth that to me to avoid the pains that the ETH network experienced.

Hah, yes, I admit I was playing a bit fast and loose with my approach to estimating whether a coin is fairly priced based on network difficult, but I think it has some value in a relative sense, if not an absolute one. I also try to keep the same perspective as you with your hypothetical approach outlined above, which is why I not only switched over to mining XMR to buy DERO, but also outright bought a bunch of DERO just to kickstart the process (and I should note I rarely buy any coins with cash).
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 222 »
  Print  

Jump to: