Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:29:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me I'm wrong: Does cryptokitties expose the weaknesses of ETH?  (Read 1132 times)
neatworld (OP)

Activity: 293
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:43:14 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 08:01:17 PM by neatworld

The lagging on ETH transfers today because of one dumb game is a real problem in my opinion. Is this merely a stress test - can ETH easily roll out a fix? Or is this the chance for ETH competitors to swoop in and show how they have better platforms? I was really trying to build up a little ETH portfolio so today's developments have me literally going  Huh

Can those of you more familiar with what's going on please explain if this is a glitch in the matrix or a long-term issue?

Edited: to fix a couple of typos

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NoiseBoy

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Sound. Fury. Signifying.

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:47:15 PM

The kitties demonstrate the weakness of any blockchain that doesn't scale effectively; that's why the vast bulk of current ethereum foundation work is currently going towards blockchain scaling solutions. Until then, we'll have to get used to the new old normal of >20gwei gas prices.

I'm going to miss the times when you could get a 0.1gwei transaction through in under 10 blocks...
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:56:47 PM

This is basically the perfect argument towards a fee market. Which means free or even very low fees basically open up any network towards spamming/bloating attacks.

Same argument Bitocin has; some people want free transactions but that would mean that even 100GB blocks would be filled with junk like everyone's morning coffee or kitties games...

Now that even the high and mighty Ethereum with super fast blocks and high tps is getting spammed, maybe more and more people will realize that Bitocin X-MB block forks are not the answer.

Not your keys, not your coins!
mrtryonebiggums

Activity: 322
Merit: 111

Revolutionized Rotating Savings & Borrowings

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:00:42 PM

Yes definitely. Prior people were happy about how this shows potential usage for the ETH network beyond ICOs and they were correct...but only if it can handle the volume and transactions. Clearly the ETH network needs some work but the potential is still there which should be encouraging.

btcone111

Merit: 110

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:11:38 PM

Yep absolutely. People were FUDding against BTC saying ETH would replace BTC because ETH was a lot faster than BTC which was facing scaling issue at that time. Now this proves the infrastructure of ETH is probably not a lot better than BTC - it seemed better only because it wasn't handling as much as BTC did!
neatworld (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:32:50 AM

So what's next then - can ETH fix this, or do you think this is a chance for another coin to take its 'second' spot behind bitcoin? And if so, which one? Something built off the ETH network, or a completely different solution? I am doing my best to learn but am still pretty hazy about all the technicalities (strengths and weaknesses) of the different blockchains, tangle, etc etc
cryptopusa

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:36:42 AM

This proves that Ethereum cant hold a large of numbers of transactions in a day,this crap games will ruin ethereum's price.

● sgamepro ●   ❐ Telegram ❐   ❐ Whitepaper ❐     ● sgamepro ●
███   PLAY MOBILE GAMES MINE   ███
████ █     CRYPTO-TOKENS EARN REAL MONEY █ ████
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:40:39 AM

The lagging on ETH transfers today because of one dumb game is a real problem in my opinion.
the problem has always been there. this kitty thing just made it more visible.
actually if i recall correctly, 2 months ago some other ICO caused the same issue with Ethereum and big exchanges closed down their wallets for ETH and all its tokens for over a week.

Is this merely a stress test
No, it is a simple usage of ETH the way it is designed. a stress test would have been thousands of transaction every 15 seconds to increase the mempool to 100,000 transactions pending (similar to bitcoin spam attack/stress test) and it causes much bigger problems that this would seem funny in comparison.

and remember that it is not all about pending transactions or how slow it is for a short time, it is about all the data that you are storing in the blockchain and how big the whole blockchain is going to become. if i am not mistaken currently ETH blockchain is 3 times bigger than bitcoin's blockchain and that is a disaster because so far nobody new can sync anymore unless they use light wallets or web wallets. and good luck decentralizing such currency!

- can ETH easily roll out a fix?
no, because it is by design. that is how every coin based on blockchain words. PoW or PoS wouldn't make a difference either.

Or is this the chance for ETH competitors to swoop in and show how they have better platforms?
it is. but most of them are not any better. they are mostly not used and that makes them simpler to use and it hides issues like this the same way it was hidden in ETH for a long time.

I was really trying to build up a little ETH portfolio so today's developments have me literally going  Huh
that is kind of irrelevant. because the price is based on speculation and manipulation. you may not even lose any money in short term!

Can those of you more familiar with what's going on please explain if this is a glitch in the matrix or a long-term issue?
as i said, it is by design so it is a long term issue. it may go away for a while but it will always exist.

Buying the dip...
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:45:11 AM

Or is this the chance for ETH competitors to swoop in and show how they have better platforms?
it is. but most of them are not any better. they are mostly not used and that makes them simpler to use and it hides issues like this the same way it was hidden in ETH for a long time.

penig

Merit: 13

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:53:32 AM

Yep absolutely. People were FUDding against BTC saying ETH would replace BTC because ETH was a lot faster than BTC which was facing scaling issue at that time. Now this proves the infrastructure of ETH is probably not a lot better than BTC - it seemed better only because it wasn't handling as much as BTC did!

This is because projects are lead by developers, and fanbois who accept everything they say, and dont listen to dissenting voices.  Some is FUD, some is plain old experience.  Ops guys such as myself will tell you that if you give a project 10x more capacity, some time they'll be using up 10x data, if you create a platform without controls, someone will deploy something thats out of control.  Cheesy
EthereumPY

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 09:28:21 PM

i bet vitalik just gone to his backyard to grab his pitbull Grin
99th

Activity: 196
Merit: 22

Las Vegas

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 09:37:06 PM

This proves that Ethereum cant hold a large of numbers of transactions in a day,this crap games will ruin ethereum's price.

Eth seems to be going down rather steadily over the last day or so. I wonder if that is truly because of cryptokitties. That would be a pretty landmark moment for crypto in general... this is hopefully a lesson that many will learn from in the industry.
reztava

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 09:39:21 PM

but I see in my favorite market etherium is still in the udder ombang to increase the value of daroi altcoin. if this has met the target of the etherium itself I think the etherium will add high again the value of its trade.

[tengah]  [url = https: //auditchain.com/] ━━━ ━ ━━ ━ ━ JAMINAN NYATA-WAKTU. SATU BLOK PADA WAKTU ━ ━━ ━━━ [/ url]
[url = https: //exmarkets.com/launchpad] ◄► IEO di EXMARKETS ◄► [/ url] [url = https: //exmarkets.com / launchpad] ● ● ● AUDITCHAIN ​​● ● ● ◄► 14 Juni ◄► [/ url]
[url = https: //bit.ly/31jYxti] ⟨┃ WhitePaper ┃⟩ [/ url] ● [url = https: // t.me/Auditchain_Community[Telegram[/url] ● [url = https: //www.reddit.com/r/Auditchain] Reddit [/ url] ● [url = https: //www.linkedin.com/company/ auditchain] LinkedIn [/ url] ● [url = https: //medium.com/@AuditChain] Sedang [/ url] ● [url = https: //www.facebook.com/auditchain/] Facebook [/ url] ● [url = https: //bitcointalk.org/index.php? topic = 5041997.0] ⟨┃ Umumkan ┃⟩ [/ url] [/ b] [/ center]
bitcoinbox

Activity: 675
Merit: 254

So far so good

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 09:57:44 PM

If cryptokitties expose the weaknesses of ETH (It is not proven for now) then it is a good thing. We tend to forget these blockchain technologies are still new.
I see this Kitties thing as a stress test, better now than later.
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:13:01 PM

The cryptokitties is a very good test of ETH network. Sending a transaction is now slower than Bitcoin.The Etherium team should find a solution for this problem, else people may use another blockchain. But i personnaly don't find the utility for cryptokkities. It is cheaper to buy a Nintendo console and buy Pokemon game... And the game is much more sophisticated on a console.
my_cryptos

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:17:51 PM

If cryptokitties expose the weaknesses of ETH (It is not proven for now) then it is a good thing. We tend to forget these blockchain technologies are still new.
I see this Kitties thing as a stress test, better now than later.

It is best to solve all problems at the beginning of the coin development. I think that the developers are already trying to solve this issue. For me it was a surprise that the game was able to disable the network of ETH

Raist

Activity: 490
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:20:59 PM

Suddenly I have caught myself on observation that Jevon's paradox is working here. I just need time to put formulas, but generally the conclusion is - less time for money transaction - more transactions will be. Except that the crypto-currencies will triple the circulation of money BTC and Ethereum will be overloaded for several years at least.
marks1976

Activity: 893
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:30:07 PM

The lagging on ETH transfers today because of one dumb game is a real problem in my opinion. Is this merely a stress test - can ETH easily roll out a fix? Or is this the chance for ETH competitors to swoop in and show how they have better platforms? I was really trying to build up a little ETH portfolio so today's developments have me literally going  Huh

Edited: to fix a couple of typos
That means the scalability of the ethereum network doesn't enough to run dapps in there. the ethereum needs a better scalability, just like the sharding blockchain. at least i must confirm million tx just in a second to get the best experience to run dapps just like cryptokitties.

▄██████
      ▄█▀██████
    ▄█▀  ██████
  ▄█▀    ██████
▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████
███████████████
 ▀█████████████

<█▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄▄

│   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄(▄▄▄
$▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ $▄▄▄▄▄▄: ▄▄▄▄▄
│   █
│   │   //█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄_▄▄▄(▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █████████▄█████▄███████):
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄($▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ - > ▄▄▄▄▄()) ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄:
│   │   ▄▄ (!$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄ !$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄) █
│   │      ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   █

▄███▄        ▄███▄
     ▄███████▄    ▄███████▄
     █████████    █████████
      ███████      ███████
       ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄▄████▄▄▄▄████▄▄
█████████▀███ ██████████████████
███████▀  ███ ██████████████████
       ▄█ 
    ▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄        █▄
    ▀█████████▀   ▄▄▄▄▄███▄
      ▀██       ▄███████████
        ▀              ███▀
                       ▀

P2P CASH
▄▄▄▄▄▄ Send money worldwide fast ▄▄▄▄▄▄

███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████           ▀██████
████             ██████
████              █████
████             ▄█████      ▄
████            ▄██████    ▄██
████     ▄▄▄▄▄████████    ▄███
████   ▄████████████▀   ▄█████
████ ▄███████████▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▀         ▄█████████
████████▀  ▄▄███████████▀ ████
██████▀  ▄████████████▀   ████
████▀   ███████▀▀▀▀▀▀     ████
██▀    ██████▀            ████
▀      █████              ████
       █████              ████
       █████▄             ████
       ▀██████▄           ████
        ▀█████████████████████
          ▀███████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ safe an easy with P2P ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
P2P is the open source smart
contract platform
fully dedicated to
international money transactions

▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄
  ████████████████
 ██████████████████
▄████▄  ███▄  ▄████▄
█████▄  ███▄  ▄█████
████████████████████
 ▄████  ▄▄▄▄  ████▄

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀
███

███
██████████████████████████

JOIN

██████████████████████████
███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███
Fahim

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:38:25 PM

I learned about cryptokitties from children in the supermarket. They discussed - where to get the eth, to buy these kittens and get rich. There one cat stands on the 7 ethereum. What happens at all? Transactions are long and expensive. The price of the ethereum fell down. It is interesting what Vitalik will do with these animals, he recently wanted to fry half the coins of the eth. I hope animal (real) will't suffer during these experiments.  Wink
neatworld (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:40:41 PM

Well ,from my less-informed standpoint, all I see is that it's been nearly 48 hours since I transferred a small amount of ETH from Cryptopia to Binance, and it's still is just not accounted for.
That's my money just spinning around somewhere, and it makes me nervous.

This makes me not trust the Ethereum network. So many expert voices here believe so strongly in ETH that I'm sure I must be wrong somewhere. Still, this is the impact of cryptokitties on me as an investor: originally I'd have jumped at the chance to add some ETH to my portfolio with the prices dipping like they are today. Instead, I'm taking that money and putting it into coins that are establishing themselves as ETH alternatives.

And I highly doubt I'm the only one!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: