Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:09:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin to Bitcoin Cash How Can I get it back? Wrong Transaction  (Read 490 times)
dmadd (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:04:02 PM

My mistake yesterday, I sent my Bitcoin to Bitcoin cash. I didn’t realize until it never posted.

I was withdrawing from Brittrex over to Polonienx. 

I’ve tried contacting both of them via support help, but no response.

Will they help, does anyone have advice or know how to fix this.

I had over $5000.00 in that account.

Why do they allow that to happen, when it’s not correct?

Why isn’t there an error message saying you can’t transfer unless it’s bitcoin to bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
liam1352

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:12:09 PM

My mistake yesterday, I sent my Bitcoin to Bitcoin cash. I didn’t realize until it never posted.

I was withdrawing from Brittrex over to Polonienx. 

I’ve tried contacting both of them via support help, but no response.

Will they help, does anyone have advice or know how to fix this.

I had over $5000.00 in that account.

Why do they allow that to happen, when it’s not correct?

Why isn’t there an error message saying you can’t transfer unless it’s bitcoin to bitcoin?
I have traded on these two sites. I evaluate, poloniex trading platform support very bad. It seems they are not interested in the user. Sometimes I feel annoyed
dmadd (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:16:07 PM

I hear you, neither have responed to my question. Why have support section, if urgencies go unanswered.

Am I screwed? Is my money gone?
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:31:42 PM

Do you control the Bitcoin Cash address you sent the coins to? Can you get a private key for that address?
If you can then you have nothing to worry about, if you can't then you will need to beg those who can.

Why do they allow it? Well perhaps the wallet you are using can't tell the difference. Bitcoin addresses and Bitcoin Cash addresses are identical, as it was a simple fork that kept the address format.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:09:24 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I hear you, neither have responed to my question. Why have support section, if urgencies go unanswered.

If you sent from Bittrex to Polonienx, you have to contact Polonienx, Bittrex won't be able to help you.
Polonienx support should be able to recover the funds for you.
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 06:31:09 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Bitcoin addresses and Bitcoin Cash addresses are identical, as it was a simple fork that kept the address format.

Yet another destructive aspect of the BCH fork.  Yet more damage to users.  Yet another reason to avoid it.  Honest altcoins have their own names, and their own address prefixes (or even entirely different address formats).

Is anybody collecting these?  There are an awful lot of them.  Impossible though it may be to really know, it seems important to attempt quantifying in some fashion just how much money has been lost to how many people by BCH’s decision to use an identical address format.

dmadd, others have given you the only possible advice.  There is nothing else you can do.  The private key controls all.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 08:40:55 PM

Because BTC and BCH use the same address format. Your address (or to be more specific: priv-/public keypair) is valid on both chains.
The exchange can't know you used a BCH address to recieve BTC, since its a btc address too.
Usually this isn't a big deal since you can just import the private keys into your BTC client and your funds were available.
But since you were withdrawing amount to another exchange (without you having the control of the privat key), you have to contact polonienx.
They are able to recover your funds, but this will probably cost a small service fee (if they even going to do this for you, they could just keep the 5k).

No need to get cocky 12 minutes after posting this thread. Its your personal fault. You have to look at what you are copying and not just blindly copy/paste everything you can click with your mouse.

Honest altcoins have their own names, and their own address prefixes (or even entirely different address formats).
^This.

Casimir1904

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:45:35 PM

A lot altcoins use the same version bit and Poloniex has a big warning when displaying the deposit address.
Still poloniex should be able to recover them but probably it will cost them some work and time, they would need to export the key of your deposit address and import it in the correct wallet, then send you the coins on the correct chain.

R A D I X   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   The Decentralized Finance Protocol
█████████ GET TOKENS █████████    Facebook      Telegram      Twitter
The Radix DeFi Protocol is    SCALABLE SECURE COMMUNITY DRIVEN
dmadd (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:27:25 AM

I would just like to say POLONIEX support team came through for me!!
I have my money back!!! In only 2 1/2 days!!
Thank you Poloniex!!

Thank you to everyone for all you opinions and advice!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: