Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:29:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which types of wallet better for bitcoin?  (Read 1737 times)
peter0093 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 09:19:21 AM

Which types of wallet better for bitcoin? which wallet better for bitcoin secure
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hopeAo

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 09:53:10 AM

Which types of wallet better for bitcoin? which wallet better for bitcoin secure

Bitcoin wallet can be classified into 2 namely:
1.   Hot Wallet
2.   Cold Wallet
HOT WALLET
 Is a wallet that is connected to the internet or that is online. A hot wallet can be accessed from anywhere in the world and from most internet enabled devices. For this reason, a hot wallet is susceptible to attack from hackers if it is not well secured. Maximum security on your Bitcoin can only be attained using a cold wallet.

Types of Hot wallet include:

Online Wallet or Web Wallet
This is the most common type of Bitcoin wallet. Just like the name implies, web wallets are hosted in the cloud by a third-party company. It has an advantage of being able to be accessed from location and from any web browser on most Internet-enabled devices. Examples of companies that provide web wallets include. Coinbase, Luno, Blockcahin.info etc.

Mobile Wallet
A mobile wallet is a wallet that comes as an application installed on our mobile devices, mainly Android, iOS and Blackberry. Most web wallet provided has a mobile wallet app which is synced to the online wallet.

Desktop wallet
Just like the mobile wallet above, desktop wallets are wallet application downloaded and installed on a personal computer or laptop.They are easy to use and available for the different operating system. Examples of desktop wallet include Amory and mSIGNA.

COLD WALLET

It is a wallet that is not connected to the internet and it is usually on a device or a paper. A cold wallet is the safest form of Bitcoin wallets. It is almost impossible to hack a cold wallet. The hacker would have to get hold of your device and your passkey to access your cold wallet which in this case would be a human error.
The idea is, for long-term storage, store your bitcoin in a cold wallet.
Also, Hot wallets are usually free while Cold wallets may cost to purchase the device.

Types of Cold wallet include:

Paper Wallet
The paper wallet is inform of paper which contain two things which are the public address to received bitcoin and private key to gain access to bitcoin and spend it. One of the advantages of the paper wallet is that it is not prone to attack from hackers since it is offline.

Hardware wallet
The hardware wallet is one the safest and convenient type of bitcoin wallet. It is advised that anyone having bitcoin for storage in excess of $1,000 in worth should have a hardware wallet. Hardware wallet comes in form of a USD stick. You simply plug it in your computer to access and send Your Bitcoins. The hardware wallet does not need to be plugged into a computer to receive Bitcoins.

So to choose the best wallet depends on the rate of transaction, size of transaction, Cryptocurrency exchange and storage.
•   Small and frequent transactions: Online wallets or Software wallets
•   Cryptocurrency exchange: Online wallet (but only the amount that you play with)
•   Occassional big transactions: Hardware wallet
•   Storage only: Hardware wallet or paper wallet

HelenTroy

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 01:33:50 PM

Cold wallet is the best for me. At least I never connect to the internet when I sign my transactions. This is the most secure way.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:27:54 PM

If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network. However if you want a light wallet, you can just use Electrum. They are both open source.
reliable

Activity: 868
Merit: 151

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:12:42 PM

For online wallets Coinbase and Blockchain are good wallets for storing the btc. If you have bulk qty or greater number of bitcoins with you then better to save it in offline. Also if you are keeping in online unless its very less qty ensure that you split the btc in different wallets just for safety.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 06:03:03 PM

Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

I can't believe i just read that.
In which universe is bitcoin core the most secure wallet? - definetly not in this one.
Every desktop wallet contains the huge risk of being vulnerable to malware of any kind.
Whether if its malware which is directly aimed at this wallet, waiting for you to unlock it just to steal all of your coins, or
if its the 'every-day-'malware (steal clipboard, copy/paste virus, search for wallet files, ... ) which is going around in the wild for quite some time now.

A desktop wallet in a safe environment is fine when storing some coins.. but for anything which exceedes a multiple of the price of a hardware wallet
i wouln't trust any desktop wallet (or any (especially) windows pc).

For everydays use:
Mobile wallet / Desktop Wallet

For anything above X coins (replace x with the amount of coins you would not want to lose to a stupid script kiddy because of a windows or java exploit):
Hardware or Paper wallet
Hardware wallets cost about 60$+ but are pretty handy for everydays usage and Paper wallets are basically free but not that handy when spending funds from them.

aleksej996

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:24:00 PM

Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

I can't believe i just read that.
In which universe is bitcoin core the most secure wallet? - definetly not in this one.
Every desktop wallet contains the huge risk of being vulnerable to malware of any kind.
Whether if its malware which is directly aimed at this wallet, waiting for you to unlock it just to steal all of your coins, or
if its the 'every-day-'malware (steal clipboard, copy/paste virus, search for wallet files, ... ) which is going around in the wild for quite some time now.

A desktop wallet in a safe environment is fine when storing some coins.. but for anything which exceedes a multiple of the price of a hardware wallet
i wouln't trust any desktop wallet (or any (especially) windows pc).

For everydays use:
Mobile wallet / Desktop Wallet

For anything above X coins (replace x with the amount of coins you would not want to lose to a stupid script kiddy because of a windows or java exploit):
Hardware or Paper wallet
Hardware wallets cost about 60$+ but are pretty handy for everydays usage and Paper wallets are basically free but not that handy when spending funds from them.

My post clearly starts with "If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then" Cheesy
That is literally everything that is said before the quoted part, that you just sniped out and now the quote is out of context.
Context matters, bro. Don't snip out parts of my posts.
Gpx

Activity: 28
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:11:43 AM

I think we all agree hardware wallets are the only really secure storage.
Mobile, PC, or online is more useful for spending, but you can transfer coins to those wallets in small amounts and reduce your exposure.

Along those lines I just finished searching hardware wallets. There are several, but it really comes down to just 2: The Trezor or Ledger Nano 2

Numerous reviews have pointed out that they are nearly identical in function. Trezor has a slight edge in a more mature interface, but it's slight. The only feature that I've found that is different is that Trezor allows you to create hidden wallets in addition to your regular wallet. This is a feature that might be useful if you were forced to give the password and open your wallet (such as police, border crossing, getting robbed at gun point etc.) You could open the standard wallet with no indication of any other storage. Only you know that it is there. That's a cool feature. Question is is it worth an additional $75

The Trezor  has recently gone up to about $150 (I see people mention it is $100, but not sure where). The Ledger is about $70
icoevent

Activity: 392

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 07:46:06 AM

1.   Hot Wallet
2.   Cold Wallet
HOT WALLET
 Is a wallet that is connected to the internet or that is online. A hot wallet can be accessed from anywhere in the world and from most internet enabled devices. For this reason, a hot wallet is susceptible to attack from hackers if it is not well secured. Maximum security on your Bitcoin can only be attained using a cold wallet.

This is the most common type of Bitcoin wallet. Just like the name implies, web wallets are hosted in the cloud by a third-party company. It has an advantage of being able to be accessed from location and from any web browser on most Internet-enabled devices. Examples of companies that provide web wallets include. Coinbase, Luno, Blockcahin.info etc.

Mobile Wallet
A mobile wallet is a wallet that comes as an application installed on our mobile devices, mainly Android, iOS and Blackberry. Most web wallet provided has a mobile wallet app which is synced to the online wallet.

Desktop wallet
Just like the mobile wallet above, desktop wallets are wallet application downloaded and installed on a personal computer or laptop.They are easy to use and available for the different operating system. Examples of desktop wallet include Amory and mSIGNA.

COLD WALLET

It is a wallet that is not connected to the internet and it is usually on a device or a paper. A cold wallet is the safest form of Bitcoin wallets. It is almost impossible to hack a cold wallet. The hacker would have to get hold of your device and your passkey to access your cold wallet which in this case would be a human error.
Also, Hot wallets are usually free while Cold wallets may cost to purchase the device.

Paper Wallet
The paper wallet is inform of paper which contain two things which are the public address to received bitcoin and private key to gain access to bitcoin and spend it. One of the advantages of the paper wallet is that it is not prone to attack from hackers since it is offline.

Hardware wallet
The hardware wallet is one the safest and convenient type of bitcoin wallet. It is advised that anyone having bitcoin for storage in excess of $1,000 in worth should have a hardware wallet. Hardware wallet comes in form of a USD stick. You simply plug it in your computer to access and send Your Bitcoins. The hardware wallet does not need to be plugged into a computer to receive Bitcoins.

So to choose the best wallet depends on the rate of transaction, size of transaction, Cryptocurrency exchange and storage.
•   Cryptocurrency exchange: Online wallet (but only the amount that you play with)

thanks a lot for the helpful info.
Could you give extended oveview for each one?
JayT22

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

Privacy is freedom!

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:43:30 AM

my secure wallet is a paper wallet,for daily trades i use mycelium phone app since a few years.never had any issues with my coins!but everybody works different, so choose your own way how u want to work with ur coins safe.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
EmmaAllen

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:18:12 AM

1.   Hot Wallet
2.   Cold Wallet
HOT WALLET

Mobile Wallet

Desktop wallet

COLD WALLET

Paper Wallet

Hardware wallet

Thank you for sharing detail information about Bitcoin wallet. Really appreciate

earnmoneyonl

Activity: 93

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:48:42 AM

I think you could use blockchain. It is an online wallet and I think it is easy to use as well as easy to spend and received bitcoin.  Grin Grin
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 08:44:23 AM

If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

If you don't use core, then they aren't your Bitcoins. It's the same as money deposited in a fiat bank.

If you don't want to tie up 200Gb, then run a pruned node. You lose a few functions, but save a lot of drive space. If you haven't got the drive space available, then use an external SSD.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
kevin go

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 11:15:13 AM

Their are many wallet available in the market. For desktop wallet I would suggest you the bitcoin core. Bitcoin core is the first and original wallet. It is safe and secure but it required lot of space upto 65 GB. another is multibit. It requires only 30 MBs so you can use that. Talking about mobile wallet mycelium.mycelium is one of the safest and recommended wallet. you can surely go for mycelium. If you want online transection then you can go with bit go, green address. Hope it will help you  Smiley
DRAWDE_3691

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Decentralized Escrow currency for Crypto world

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 11:47:56 AM

I am using two wallets from online, both of them have my local currency which I can directly convert my bitcoin, coinbase and coins.ph. So far nothing bad is happening, that's why I guess it is secure. Grin

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●   ESCROWCOIN  ●  Decentralized Escrow currency for Crypto world    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
⦿  Discord  ⦿  Twitter  ⦿  Telegram  ⦿
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ⦿  BUY NOW   ⦿  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
mpufatzis

Activity: 840
Merit: 128

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 12:13:48 PM

It depends on what you want to do.
If you want to buy BTC and hold it, a paper wallet is fine for you.
If you want to use it everyday to buy things an app in your phone would be perfect.
A combination of the above plus a wallet in your PC is the best option.
Avoid on line wallets, you don't own the keys and allways backup everything.
aleksej996

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:59:09 PM

If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

If you don't use core, then they aren't your Bitcoins. It's the same as money deposited in a fiat bank.

If you don't want to tie up 200Gb, then run a pruned node. You lose a few functions, but save a lot of drive space. If you haven't got the drive space available, then use an external SSD.

I do always forget about the pruned nodes. They are a better choice, but I wouldn't go that far as to say that you don't control your bitcoins. For online wallets, yes, but for open source light wallets like Electrum, you still control your bitcoins. Now the state of the network and the balance is not fully to be trusted, but using Bitcoin Core all your connections might be compromised as well. Not the same as new blocks would have to follow the difficulty for a while, but still possible.
vinzanityyy

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 04:23:24 PM

It actually depends on your location, if you have a country-based bitcoin wallet, then I'd prefer you use it, for me I use coins.ph since I am a filipiino, and I live in philippines so which means that it would enable me to utilize my bitcoins because of the currency, and I'll be able to convert my bitcoins through peso, so I'd suggest finding a wallet that will suit you, and your IP ad
Getcoinsite

Activity: 714
Merit: 260

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 08:23:20 AM

personally i prefer Mobile wallet,accessibility ,comfortability and
safety in one.just always make sure your mobile is safe and secure.i use
local wallet COIN.PH here in philippine.maybe you should find one too there
in your country for a better usages of you bitcoin.
Salpinx

Activity: 140
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 08:25:42 AM

The most of it I keep in Trezor hard wallet, I have some change on mobile JAXX wallet and EXODUS mac wallet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: