Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:11:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Primecoin Built-in Miner Sieve Performance Issue  (Read 69101 times)
Kujmandosz

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:45:59 PM

I notice some users releasing builds with changes to protocol related code without my review. This is dangerous. If you want to optimize that aggressively you should be working on an external miner instead.

Please remove any optimization code touching protocol related functions such as Target* functions, CheckProofOfWork(), ProbablePrimeChainTest() etc.
this wouldnt be an issue if there was an official build with the current set of optimisations

+1

Mr. Sunny King,

If you want to avoid the fall of this special coin, please do something. This is kind of sad that random supporters are doing the work instead of you. The heart of a coin/business is a good team behind it. Take a look at Phenixcoin. It is a scam shit coin. Copy paste. But the team does everything to promote it, so it ks gaining value.

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:56:02 PM

I notice some users releasing builds with changes to protocol related code without my review. This is dangerous. If you want to optimize that aggressively you should be working on an external miner instead.

Please remove any optimization code touching protocol related functions such as Target* functions, CheckProofOfWork(), ProbablePrimeChainTest() etc.
this wouldnt be an issue if there was an official build with the current set of optimisations

+1

pledge to Sunny King for 0.2.0 release with detected improvements as soon as possible. Getting close to CPU maximum pps is everybody first priority, no need for other improvements before that.
dudeguy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

Hey let's all be D-bags to the inventor of Primecoin... or not?

Let me put it in more fair terms. No, you don't owe anyone anything.

We would appreciate  0.2.0 QT client for download that detects processor models and optimizes for them etc.

You are a superhero in the Crypto-World right now.

If you leave other's to improve on things then the power is out of your hands. I'd much rather trust Mr. Sunny King with my PPS than some rando coder. Primes Per Second. I wasn't being suggestive.  Cheesy
coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:27:44 PM

Hey let's all be D-bags to the inventor of PRimecoin... or not?

Go read what he wrote about this coin on PPCoin forums.

He's kind of being a "D-bag" about it.

I had some harsh words for him the other day, and he has since helped people to understand what the coin is doing (a little) instead of just being smug and repeating over and over "go read my paper" when he knows 999/1000 people can't understand it.

He stated clearly in his own forums that this is a pump and dump coin, meant to fragment the POW cryptocurrency market and after release he will be back to "working on" PPCoin.

I went in GitHub an hour ago and the only work he has done for this coins since release is to accept some GUI updates and string replacements that SOMEONE ELSE did for him.

He couldn't be bothered to grep and replace bitcoin in the source, that's how much he puts into this.

Now he comes out and tells people to stop trying to fix it - who's the D-Bag?
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:34:54 PM

+1

Mr. Sunny King,

If you want to avoid the fall of this special coin, please do something. This is kind of sad that random supporters are doing the work instead of you. The heart of a coin/business is a good team behind it. Take a look at Phenixcoin. It is a scam shit coin. Copy paste. But the team does everything to promote it, so it ks gaining value.

Megacoin supporter bashing altcoins for being copy-paste.... Don't make me have to choke a bitch!
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:35:30 PM

+1

Mr. Sunny King,

Megacoin supporter bashing altcoins for being copy-paste.... Don't make me have to choke a bitch!

+1000

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
TheSwede75

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:36:47 PM

He's kind of being a "D-bag" about it.

I had some harsh words for him the other day, and he has since helped people to understand what the coin is doing (a little) instead of just being smug and repeating over and over "go read my paper" when he knows 999/1000 people can't understand it.

He stated clearly in his own forums that this is a pump and dump coin, meant to fragment the POW cryptocurrency market and after release he will be back to "working on" PPCoin.

I went in GitHub an hour ago and the only work he has done for this coins since release is to accept some GUI updates and string replacements that SOMEONE ELSE did for him.

He couldn't be bothered to grep and replace bitcoin in the source, that's how much he puts into this.

Seems sort of sketchy. Not too far fetched that he of course has a VERY optimized build mining for himself since start and does not like people 'catching up' in efficiency. Shady or just lazy... who knows
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:48:27 PM

who has the latest/greatest version of the source code with the latest fixes? I'm getting 1500 pps on a bunch of a systems and would like to bump this up
dudeguy

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:51:42 PM

He's kind of being a douchebag about it.

Well now. I was just concerned with being respectful to the guy who put the most work into this coin, but if what you say is true then it appears we are all fools for even hoping something special could come out of this... I will reserve judgement until I have more evidence.
coinerd

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:54:58 PM

Well now. I was just concerned with being respectful to the guy who put the most work into this coin, but if what you say is true then it appears we are all fools for even hoping something special could come out of this... I will reserve judgement until I have more evidence.

https://github.com/primecoin/primecoin

http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=288.msg1557#msg1557

I'll provide at least some evidence that I am not making this up.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:56:18 PM

Link?
[edit - checking the link you just posted...]

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
tocket

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:59:35 PM

Here's an interesting comparison of compilers/settings, looks like I should try out intel's compiler.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/847-15/the-impact-of-compilers-on-x86-x64-cpu-architectures.html
I spent a long time modifying the makefile for Intel Composer XE and finally got it to compile. The result is rather disappointing however - no significant increase in PPS. I used the -fast option which is supposed to give rather good optimizations, but I'm guessing there are more optimizations to be made. I will keep looking for those.
Charles999

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:06:01 AM

I Don't care what you all say about Sunny  D.  He has my respect cuz he made me about $800 worth of coins so far in 3 days!  You da man Sunny D..
coinerd

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:08:30 AM

Actually he did some optimizations after the release.
And as one of the contributors of the GUI updates - it wasn't easy to spot, I'm sure most people would not even notice it. Also you would think these parts of the GUI would be automatically changed but they were hardcoded.

I'm not sure how it would fragment the PoW community unless there is a GPU miner (and it does not seem to be the best PoW for it), as the others CPU-only coins are really minor. The billions of scrypt coins are certainly more efficient at fragmentation.

First of all what do you mean "hard to spot".  Ahhh, I don't want to come off like a total dick but, when was search and replace first implemented, the 1960's?

As to the rest of it, feel free to click the link and read his explanation, it's very good. No coin has pulled this much time and attention since I don't even know what. Certainly since I started learning about cryptocurrency.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:09:03 AM

Ok, that was indeed an interesting link with regard to Sunny's ultimate intent (eg, proving the long-term superiority of ppcoin). That said, I think he legitimately considers primecoin innovative and interesting....because it really is. It has more merit than every other coin except bitcoin, namecoin, and ppcoin. The fact that he considers ppcoin to be the primary focus should be neither surprising nor disturbing. It *is* the most long-term energy efficient, and that's been his stated goal/focus for quite a while.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Charles999

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:10:04 AM

Let's start a STOP PICKING ON SUNNY D Campaign!!  No one's perfect!
coinerd

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:22:01 AM

Ok, that was indeed an interesting link with regard to Sunny's ultimate intent (eg, proving the long-term superiority of ppcoin). That said, I think he legitimately considers primecoin innovative and interesting....because it really is. It has more merit than every other coin except bitcoin, namecoin, and ppcoin. The fact that he considers ppcoin to be the primary focus should be neither surprising nor disturbing. It *is* the most long-term energy efficient, and that's been his stated goal/focus for quite a while.

I agree this is huge.

Nothing is happening with PPcoin any time soon, as he states there in that thread PPCoin is in maintenance mode and will be for a long time.

His contribution to "science" is unquestionable here.  His response to the community that is pushing him into the limelight is pretty surprising.

There's a fairly obvious conclusion, in light of the aforementioned links.

Seems sort of sketchy. Not too far fetched that he of course has a VERY optimized build mining for himself since start and does not like people 'catching up' in efficiency. Shady or just lazy... who knows
coinerd

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:22:42 AM

Let's start a STOP PICKING ON SUNNY D Campaign!!  No one's perfect!

Don't print any signs for your campaign until you figure out his name.
dudeguy

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:25:20 AM

I agree with you. Given the link is ambiguous at best, I have decided that maybe the projection of this coin was quite a bit less enthusiastic than it's actual launch. Just because people didn't "care" doesn't mean nobody cares now. And honestly, this coin is breaking records. It has proven it's different. Now all we have to do is continue to support it and encourage Sunny to continue development.
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 12:32:13 AM

When did I say I would stop primecoin development? Go back to the prerelease annoucement, I specifically said both ppcoin and primecoin would have dedicated long term support.

Yes primecoin is part of my long term strategy to compete better, since when is having a strategy a bad thing? So please don't listen to someone who'd like to twist my words to suit his own agenda.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: