Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:04:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI - Source For New Fans  (Read 359 times)
flameruk (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2017, 07:01:36 PM

Hi.

Specifically looking for a UK source for a replacement fan for a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING OC Graphics Card.
There are a couple that look ok on eBay (China / Hong Kong).

Ideally after a UK seller.

Anyone know what model the fan is or point me in the right direction please?

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 07:49:23 PM

I have/had a bunch of Gigabyte 750Ti/970/1070/1080Ti cards. The fans on the 970s died within a year and the fans on the 1070s died within 6 months. Meanwhile, I have 750 Ti's with mostly working fans.

All these cards have crappy sleeve bearing fans. Except for the AORUS series, which is the flavor I have my 1080 Ti's in. The AORUS series have double ball bearing fans which are basically what every card should have; they're superior.

I have also contacted Gigabyte, trying to buy replacement stock fans but they do not sell any parts. But they replace it under warranty, but that might take weeks/months depending on your location.
So you can really only get replacement fans on ebay but they will die just as soon as your stock fans did. But if you send the card back for a warranty process and if they notice that you have replaced the fans, your wannanty will be void so in case the card dies, you have to put the original fans back.

In case you're going with ebay fans, you really only should look at how much amps the stock fans pull after checking yourself (for example 970 G1 - 0.20 amps, 1070 G1: 0.35 amps) and use fans that's equal or lower than that value (unless you want to power the fans straight from your PSU or a fan header). Some cards Gigabyte cards have different fans with different amps so better to check all three and most importantly, check the headers and only order what you can plug in without having to cut cables and replace headers.

TL;DR: only buy cards with double ball bearing fans or you're going to have a bad time.

Not your keys, not your coins!
flameruk (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2017, 08:49:04 PM

I have/had a bunch of Gigabyte 750Ti/970/1070/1080Ti cards. The fans on the 970s died within a year and the fans on the 1070s died within 6 months. Meanwhile, I have 750 Ti's with mostly working fans.

All these cards have crappy sleeve bearing fans. Except for the AORUS series, which is the flavor I have my 1080 Ti's in. The AORUS series have double ball bearing fans which are basically what every card should have; they're superior.

I have also contacted Gigabyte, trying to buy replacement stock fans but they do not sell any parts. But they replace it under warranty, but that might take weeks/months depending on your location.
So you can really only get replacement fans on ebay but they will die just as soon as your stock fans did. But if you send the card back for a warranty process and if they notice that you have replaced the fans, your wannanty will be void so in case the card dies, you have to put the original fans back.

In case you're going with ebay fans, you really only should look at how much amps the stock fans pull after checking yourself (for example 970 G1 - 0.20 amps, 1070 G1: 0.35 amps) and use fans that's equal or lower than that value (unless you want to power the fans straight from your PSU or a fan header). Some cards Gigabyte cards have different fans with different amps so better to check all three and most importantly, check the headers and only order what you can plug in without having to cut cables and replace headers.

TL;DR: only buy cards with double ball bearing fans or you're going to have a bad time.

Thanks for the info bathrobehero.
Point taken about the low quality fans.

I stripped the GPU last week for a 2 monthly service and that's when the problem started.
Ill bring an anemometer home from work tomorrow and work out the air flow on 100% fan speed per fan.
Probably 3D print a new cover and slap some decent fans onto the new GPU case and run them direct from the PSU on 100%.

If I have any issues with the GPU not having a feedback tacho pulse, Ill have to throw an Arduino together to send a false PWM signal back at it.
I had to do this with an S7 last year, as I didnt have the right fan and the IO card wouldnt run the miner up without a feedback.
Shouldn't take more than a few hours to do with an oscilloscope.

Im thinking the GPU will probably be a little more lenient as people do water cool these and throw the fans away anyway.

Probably the most important thing on a GPU is the cooling fans, its stupid skimping on the fan quality.

Happy days.

ARTRN

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 09:06:58 PM

Why bother for warranty ? it could take weeks at best. i'd be bothered ship my card just for replacement fan, in mining time is $$. Just take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQHAMz1v5g
tazmako

Activity: 350

XDNA - Most innovative cryptocurrency in 2018

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:28:18 PM

im looking to buy gigabyte 1070ti  but when im read bathrobehero post.

maybe im change my midnd.

XDNA ❱❭ Dynamic. New. Adaptable.
Revolution in PoW GPU mining | Innovation in Masternode investing
° BitGun ° T.N.T. ° XDNA Foundation °
Stable block reward even with a 10000% increase of hashrate![/url]
                 |Website| Whitepaper| Discord| Telegram | Github|                
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:41:06 PM

I stripped the GPU last week for a 2 monthly service and that's when the problem started.
Ill bring an anemometer home from work tomorrow and work out the air flow on 100% fan speed per fan.
Probably 3D print a new cover and slap some decent fans onto the new GPU case and run them direct from the PSU on 100%.

If I have any issues with the GPU not having a feedback tacho pulse, Ill have to throw an Arduino together to send a false PWM signal back at it.
I had to do this with an S7 last year, as I didnt have the right fan and the IO card wouldnt run the miner up without a feedback.

Im thinking the GPU will probably be a little more lenient as people do water cool these and throw the fans away anyway.

Probably the most important thing on a GPU is the cooling fans, its stupid skimping on the fan quality.

Happy days.

Well, watercooling is very expensive so it's mainly for gamers.

I would have just ignore the lack of tacho, you don't really need a PWM signal, %-based fan speed is based on voltage anyway, feedback is not critical.

I briefly experimented with putting high CFM Noctua fans on the heatsink (proof of concept on an 1080 G1 with 2 bigger fans instead of 3 smaller: https://i.imgur.com/1pESalU.png). With only a hackjob and hasted quick test the consensus is that it's significantly better at cooling than the default 3 small fans but with significantly more noise even at the same temps. It could be optimized, I'm sure but I haven't had the time to pursue that (to revive a couple of 1070s) and the AORUS cards are working perfectly fine.

flameruk (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 08:20:34 PM

Happy days.

Well, watercooling is very expensive so it's mainly for gamers.

I would have just ignore the lack of tacho, you don't really need a PWM signal, %-based fan speed is based on voltage anyway, feedback is not critical.

I briefly experimented with putting high CFM Noctua fans on the heatsink (proof of concept on an 1080 G1 with 2 bigger fans instead of 3 smaller: https://i.imgur.com/1pESalU.png). With only a hackjob and hasted quick test the consensus is that it's significantly better at cooling than the default 3 small fans but with significantly more noise even at the same temps. It could be optimized, I'm sure but I haven't had the time to pursue that (to revive a couple of 1070s) and the AORUS cards are working perfectly fine.

Cool, I finish for Christmas in 2 weeks so this could keep me busy for a while.
Im not worried about the noise, its surrounded by S9's anyway.
Its kind of my daughters rig, she finds it really interesting mining.

Just a thought, did you space the fans above the heat sink surface so the back pressure does not over current the new fans?
That could be easy with trial and error to work out.

Right, Im gonna order some fans tonight this could be fun!

CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:22:47 PM

Hi.

Specifically looking for a UK source for a replacement fan for a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING OC Graphics Card.

have you tried to contact gigabyte, most of the larger gpu makers have divisions in other countries. most cases they might provide a couple for free or very low cost

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
flameruk (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 08:28:26 PM

Why bother for warranty ? it could take weeks at best. i'd be bothered ship my card just for replacement fan, in mining time is $$. Just take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQHAMz1v5g

Its had a hard time, it comes apart to be cleaned often and I couldn't be bothered to put all the screws back in it.
It runs fine except the failing fan  Grin

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:29:29 PM

Just a thought, did you space the fans above the heat sink surface so the back pressure does not over current the new fans?

I didn't space the fans above the heatsink as I haven't spend much time at all with them.

If you're going with Noctua or any other custom (non-gpu) fans, make sure to check out their airflow (CFM). One smaller and one bigger set of fans performed terribly as they weren't pushing enough air (low CFM).

I'll be playing more and replacing fans on ~10 x 1070s with Noctuas sometime the next week or so, so I'm curious what you'll go with.

Hi.

have you tried to contact gigabyte, most of the larger gpu makers have divisions in other countries. most cases they might provide a couple for free or very low cost

I did and they told me they do not sell replacements of any kind. YMMV though but I find it unlikely.

flameruk (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 08:43:42 PM

Hi.

Does not appear they sell as spares.
Seems an after market product from China / HK but as said above, just the same crappy fans to put back on.
Think its just time for a mod.
If the cards any good and it stays very cool, it should cause it less stress than having heat spikes from bad fans.

flameruk (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 08:45:49 PM

I didn't space the fans above the heatsink as I haven't spend much time at all with them.

If you're going with Noctua or any other custom (non-gpu) fans, make sure to check out their airflow (CFM). One smaller and one bigger set of fans performed terribly as they weren't pushing enough air (low CFM).

I'll be playing more and replacing fans on ~10 x 1070s with Noctuas sometime the next week or so, so I'm curious what you'll go with.

Hi.

I did and they told me they do not sell replacements of any kind. YMMV though but I find it unlikely.

Ok I got the anemometer from work, am planning on putting a tube over each fan and measuring the airflow.
Im a HVAC engineer by day so the volume and velocity calcs wont be to hard to calculate.
Ill match something with a 30% / 40% overhead see how it goes.

jovanoty

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 09:53:33 PM

I have some gigabyte 1080 ti aorus and they have 2 8 pins. How to properly connect them with the risers? Do they still need both 8 pins connected plus 6 pin to the risers or 1 8 pin to the card and 6 to the riser. Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: