Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:23:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened with NiceHash?  (Read 561 times)
Cop999 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 05:38:55 AM

Hi, all!

Today I tryed to open nicehash.com and what I see.

More than 4,736 BTC (more than $ 63 million at the time of publication) were stolen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Late I found information on Reddit:

Unfortunately, there has been a security breach involving NiceHash website. We are currently investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result, we are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours.
Importantly, our payment system was compromised and the contents of the NiceHash Bitcoin wallet have been stolen. We are working to verify the precise number of BTC taken.
Clearly, this is a matter of deep concern and we are working hard to rectify the matter in the coming days. In addition to undertaking our own investigation, the incident has been reported to the relevant authorities and law enforcement and we are co-operating with them as a matter of urgency.
We are fully committed to restoring the NiceHash service with the highest security measures at the earliest opportunity.
We would not exist without our devoted buyers and miners all around the globe. We understand that you will have a lot of questions, and we ask for patience and understanding while we investigate the causes and find the appropriate solutions for the future of the service. We will endeavour to update you at regular intervals.
While the full scope of what happened is not yet known, we recommend, as a precaution, that you change your online passwords.
We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused and are committing every resource towards solving this issue as soon as possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

What will happen with our unpaid funds?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:25:47 AM

Nobody knows. They claim that they have gotten hacked but they haven't yet tallied upthe amount of BTC lost apparently. So whether you will get your funds back fully or partially will probably sit on how much they have actually gotten hacked out of. If it's a small amount then they are likely going to compensate their users one way or another, if it's a big loss perhaps they'll launch tokens or whatever.

But it's way too early to say anything.

There's always a chance that they're using this as an excuse to exit scam, as well.

Smiley
Cop999 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 04:16:10 PM

I still have not seen any update on this post.
Clearly, the problem is much more than expected.
24 hours is not enough to solve the problem.
Does anyone have new information?
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 04:38:08 PM

I heard from friend that nicehash is planning to make a new website or they will calculate all and paying all their miners and stop their service..
This is what i heard from my friend he is newbie miner but bad luck he didn't withdraw his earn bitcoin before this happen.
My guess that this the same as scrypt cc that they are just fool people to pay them back but the truth they are scammer..
Since its a big amount of bitcoin i think its impossible to pay them back unless if they are lying that they hack but the truth are not.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:12:17 PM

What will happen with our unpaid funds?
Who knows, there hasn't been any word from NiceHash regarding their user's coins.
I believe a website as big as NiceHash will have a reserve fund stored in cold storage, they might be able to pay their users with that reserve.
But, according to reddit Nicehash's wallet are insured, the question is whether the claim will be successful and how long the fund will be paid to NiceHash.

Either way, you should prepare yourself for the worst outcome possible (No reserve fund, insurance denied) you will need it in this tough time.
lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:28:17 PM

What ever happened to Nicehash will go down to BTC history as another site that was hacked and this surely will scare away those who are new to Bitcoin. Back in the old days, a robber needs a good team, guns and ammunition to rob a bank and gain millions of dollars, now its different, all you need is a good computer and skills in hacking a computer.
Doctor.Strange

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:39:51 PM

What ever happened to Nicehash will go down to BTC history as another site that was hacked and this surely will scare away those who are new to Bitcoin. Back in the old days, a robber needs a good team, guns and ammunition to rob a bank and gain millions of dollars, now its different, all you need is a good computer and skills in hacking a computer.

Well said.
Siawosh

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:49:43 PM

Wink

I lost 2 month worth of my money. I don't care I was just trying this application and it proved to me what bitcoin really is. with no central bank to control it of course there will be gangs to try shape the market.

what if this is just a good time to harvest and go open business under another company ? It is an insult to say they didn't see it coming. they transfer the bitcoin to your wallet after it is a considerable amount for most of the poor world. another way to rub you. but thats just a conspiracy I am sure that no one has nothing to back anything up since all of it is just the tin air.

Grin

I am so glad that I didn't invest in this business. so proud of myself. Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: