Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:04:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Science Fiction Writing  (Read 1464 times)
btcgames (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 05:35:39 PM

I'm considering putting together a science fiction magazine and was wondering if there was anyone interesting in writing for bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 05:46:11 PM

I've been a huge science fiction fan since I was twelve (I'm now 38). Even though my tastes have expanded since then, it's still my preferred genre.

I haven't attempted to write any fiction in quite a while, but I'd be willing to pound out a few pages and let you look it over.

Still around.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 06:07:10 PM

I would love to participate. PM me with what you are looking for and rates. Also I have access to a color laser printer if you want to run smaller zine sized prints of the mag for local distribution.
hashmaker

Activity: 52

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:33:49 PM

I am interested, PM with info. Thanks.
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:44:45 PM

I'm interested.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
peach

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 10:38:56 PM

I might be interested. Message me details if you want.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 10:40:50 PM

Where do I sign up?!? Grin

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
btcgames (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:08:51 PM

I received a lot of responses to this post, so I wanted to clarify what I’m looking for.  I’m going to be putting together a science fiction magazine, most likely using MagCloud to publish it.  I am also looking into getting additional funding through Kickstarter.  I’m looking for original short stories, anything from the flash fiction style of www.365tomorrows.com to longer format content.  I’m also looking for original artwork or photographs to accompany those stories.  Each issue will have a theme centered around a specific word, usually something with multiple meanings.  For the first issue, I’ve chosen “descent” as the theme.

I’m also looking for a handful of non-fiction pieces of content that go with that same theme.  Pointers to Creative Commons articles with a license that would allow them to be included in a larger collection and sold, original book reviews on books that fit the theme, and other content suggestions are all welcome.  I’m willing to tip for suggestions that lead to content included in the final product as well as pay for original content, however  I haven’t the slightest idea what reasonable rates are.  I don’t want to rip anyone off, however I still want to be able to sell the magazine at a profit that allows me to fund a second issue, so I can continue paying for original content.

With all that being said, right now I am only looking for proposals, until I believe I’m fairly close to a full magazine worth of content, I will not be paying out any bitcoins.  For original content, please send me a short description and the length (or expected length) of the content, short samples are also welcome.  For original artwork, please send me a description, thumbnails are also welcome.  Artwork should be at a high enough resolution to allow for full page printing.  For additional content suggestions, please hold on to them for now.  I want to make sure everyone is paid for their suggestions, however I do not plan on paying out any bitcoins until I have enough content.

Of course, if anyone wants to just send me their stuff and trust me to pay them if I use it, I'm ok with that too.   Smiley
ErgoOne

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 11:06:26 PM

What email address should we contact? Wink

I'm a technical and science writer (not fiction) who is also an SF fan.  I wouldn't mind contributing a non-fiction article to the first issue.  Under the theme of "descent", is there some subject you would especially like to have an article on?  One idea -- how about an article on the different methods used to protect spacecraft from burning up in the atmosphere when they land on the earth or (speculative) on another planet with an atmosphere?  (If somebody "steals" that idea from me, I've got several others.) Wink

If you want to check out my credentials, my web site/blog is at www.ergosphere.net.  Look under "ErgoOne" for my resume and contact information.
btcgames (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:22:06 AM

The easiest way to reach me is at robertbogdon@gmail.com.  I love the article idea, it's one of the three main topics that came to mind with the descent theme.
wangxinxi

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

Founder & CEO of Coinut.com, Litecoin Core Dev

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 05:40:13 PM

The easiest way to reach me is at robertbogdon@gmail.com.  I love the article idea, it's one of the three main topics that came to mind with the descent theme.

Post your description on https://workforbitcoin.com
There are lots of good writers there.
horrorshow

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 01:59:14 AM

I hereby submit an impromptu piece I wrote for consideration of my talents. Read the prompt for the thread in which it was written to understand why it was written, otherwise, simply read and enjoy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/f5c8r/reddit_youre_cryogenically_frozen_for_a_long_time/c1dgp7r
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:34:39 AM

How about aquatic descent as well? Technical diving and oxygen immersion suits, effects of pressure, abyssal fauna...Abyss style diving...I'll write the hell out of an article like that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: