Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:20:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PRIVATE KEY  (Read 204 times)
bitDAVO (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:03:48 PM

Newbie here:::

I bought bitcoin from Coinbase back in July haphazardly to play online poker on Betcoin. I couldn’t get it to work on my Mac computer and forgot about it and left it in betcoin. Sense the market is going up I’ve gone back and tried I had good success in doing that I got it back into Coinbase and I actually ended up buying more but I have not been able to find my private key. I’m not sure where that would’ve been given to me by Coinbase. Would that of been back in July when I first bought? I’ve have since taken all my bit coin and transferred it to Brittrex and I also still cannot find any type of private key for my bitcoin where can I start? where can I retrieve this? And should I move out of Brittrex for future?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:06:52 PM

Newbie here:::

I bought bitcoin from Coinbase back in July haphazardly to play online poker on Betcoin. I couldn’t get it to work on my Mac computer and forgot about it and left it in betcoin. Sense the market is going up I’ve gone back and tried I had good success in doing that I got it back into Coinbase and I actually ended up buying more but I have not been able to find my private key. I’m not sure where that would’ve been given to me by Coinbase. Would that of been back in July when I first bought? I’ve have since taken all my bit coin and transferred it to Brittrex and I also still cannot find any type of private key for my bitcoin where can I start? where can I retrieve this? And should I move out of Brittrex for future?

Thanks in advance.

No, this is normal. Both coinbase and bittrex are exchanges, which for their own security, and convenience for themselves and their users, offer no access to your private key. ( Which means that if they go down, your bitcoins will go down with them, you actually don't control/own your bitcoins if you store them there.

You will either need to use a software wallet, http://electrum.org , hardware wallet, such as a trezor/ ledger nano S, or ( which i do not recommend), an online wallet, such as http://blockchain.info < It is still quite hard to get the private keys out of these web wallets, so i would recommend sticking to the other two options i gave.

I’ve have since taken all my bit coin and transferred it to Brittrex and I also still cannot find any type of private key for my bitcoin where can I start? where can I retrieve this? And should I move out of Brittrex for future?

If you do not intend on trading, and want maximum security, then i would absolutely recommend you to do so, Yes.

bitDAVO (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:14:19 PM

Wow man thank you so much for the timely response so if I intend on keeping my bitcoin and I want to move it say to a trezor, once I transferred over will it automatically populate my private key for me at that point which I can then hand write and put in the safe and what not? Also what about my stock in alt coins, do i need their private keys too? Do they even have them or should i just continue to use Brittrex for that type of trading? Thanks again.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:55:58 PM

Wow man thank you so much for the timely response so if I intend on keeping my bitcoin and I want to move it say to a trezor, once I transferred over will it automatically populate my private key for me at that point which I can then hand write and put in the safe and what not? Also what about my stock in alt coins, do i need their private keys too? Do they even have them or should i just continue to use Brittrex for that type of trading? Thanks again.

Trezor actually uses a "seed" (24 words) for backup, so that will be the only thing you need to save, if you want to secure/ backup your funds.

You could also save your private key, but then you'll first need it to convert it to a private key, see https://www.reddit.com/r/TREZOR/comments/6hvgiz/can_i_see_my_own_private_key_on_the_trezor/

Using a BIP39 tool, which is a bit of a hassle, see https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/54615/can-you-ever-view-your-private-keys-on-the-trezor aswell.

do i need their private keys too? Do they even have them or should i just continue to use Brittrex for that type of trading? Thanks again.
If you want to be in absolute control of your coins, then you should. Your altcoins will be gone aswell if bittrex gets hacked / goes down in the future.

Alexcross1075

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 04:01:08 PM

Private keys are generated never to play with because when missed placed,accounts can be hacked
Rubberduck59

Activity: 340
Merit: 100

NEM <3

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 04:03:19 PM

Send your Bitcoin to a wallet like Electrum and you should then be able to get your private keys.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: