Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:23:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Future issue: limited number of transactions per block?  (Read 1595 times)
Eri (OP)

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:56:51 AM

got a few questions id like to get some answers on from the people that know.

are block sizes limited? if so how many transactions can fit in a block? depending on how many can fit, if we cant fit all the current transactions in some blocks, how will we fit them in the future assuming bitcoin becomes the world currency. ie it can handle its current transactions, but what about 100,000 more per block? if they are limited and it cant fit 100,000 per block is their any way to 'fix' this because their is no way the world is going to keep to a super low number. if the transactions keep overflowing the blocks it will just end up making a huge backlog that can never be caught up with.

i ask because i don't know and never ran across an answer, but i really am hoping this isn't an issue.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:01:39 AM

got a few questions id like to get some answers on from the people that know.

are block sizes limited? if so how many transactions can fit in a block? depending on how many can fit, if we cant fit all the current transactions in some blocks, how will we fit them in the future assuming bitcoin becomes the world currency. ie it can handle its current transactions, but what about 100,000 more per block? if they are limited and it cant fit 100,000 per block is their any way to 'fix' this because their is no way the world is going to keep to a super low number. if the transactions keep overflowing the blocks it will just end up making a huge backlog that can never be caught up with.

i ask because i don't know and never ran across an answer, but i really am hoping this isn't an issue.

it is some ungodly astronomical number that I can't quote offhand.

The issue I see for the future is that the block creator can decide to cap the number of trasnactions they want to process in a block. Will there be enough incentive to have them include enough transactions as to not have an increasing pile of trasnactions waiting for blocks to be completed to be written into in order to confirm??
  And, if that is not an issue because there is plenty of fees to cover the creators hash time then what are the limitations on just how fast the trasnactions can be recorded?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:04:51 AM

Increasing the number of transactions in a block does not increase the amount of time needed to find the solution for that block.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:08:07 AM

Increasing the number of transactions in a block does not increase the amount of time needed to find the solution for that block.

No doubt.

The question then I guess is more so of how the transactions are recorded to the block then?  I was under the impression that once a block is solved the current outstanding transactions are included and then on to the next block.

Can the announcement of the solution be delayed to recorded 100's of thousands of transactions?

Guess, like I said I may be completely missing how transactions are recorded and if there would be any limitations to how many or how fast they can be written to the block.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:18:54 AM

ty, very very much. Am reading now. I tried reading up on it and could not find anything more in depth than just stating the trasnactions were handled seperatly by the merkle root and were 32 bytes each...

- GA

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: