Bitcoin Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:13:18 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: College Guys First Setup?  (Read 418 times)
jbhampton1

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:10:02 PM

Ok, so I am trying to get in this mining game. I am currently a college student living in a college dorm. Before the obvious gets stated, I have already looked at my fair use agreement for electricity and have been brainstorming ideas for cooling and noise reduction. I know the risks and am willing and able to take them. My main question is this: given that I will be running this in my dorm from January to May, which route is the best route for me? Go with the L3+ March batch, or build my own 6-12 card rig. I would like to aim for longevity and profitability where possible. I am forced to use the standard 110V wall outlets for power, which is why I was leaning towards L3+>S9. All criticism and advice welcome

I am open also to any other kinds of rigs, coins, miner types (Scrypt etc) basically anything.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Tszunami98

Activity: 154

English ► Romanian Translator

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:25:12 PM

I would suggest to build a mining rig, you have no idea how noisy a asic miner can be...even tho you do the noise reduction, you will find it very difficult to sleep with it in your room.
I dont know if you have a room mate where you are from, but you should also consider that.
Try to start with some rx series from amd and mine steady and hold. Holding is a key factor in it...at least you should be ablod to hold for medium term.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●   DIMPAY  ●  Invest for Tomorrow. Today.   ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
❱❱❱  Facebook  ❱❱❱  Twitter  ❱❱❱  Telegram  ❱❱❱
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ❱❱  PRE-ICO | December 4th, 2017  ❱❱  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Steamtyme

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:35:12 AM

You have to decide what you want out of mining... but before I go further you should be posting this in the Alt coin section, this section is strictly for Bitcoin.

On that note, do you want to wait for the L3+, or do you want to piece everything together and be mining in a couple of weeks. Of the 2 I would build a GPU rig, and play the long game.

Good luck.

Emoclaw

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:06:14 AM

I'd say that you should build a rig. It's probably more profitable (at least long-term) and definitely much more fun than having an ASIC.
There might be a learning curve depending on what GPUs you pick but the end result is definitely worth it.

Noise and cooling is also much more manageable compared to ASICs. But it's winter now so nothing's gonna run hot anyways.

▄████▄       
██████       
▀████▀       
▀██████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
▄▄█████  ▄██████████████████▄
▄██████▀██  ████████████████████
▄█████▀    ▀  ████████████████████
▄█████▀         ███ ████████████ ███
██████▀          ███ ████████████ ███
███████           ███ ████████████ ███

▄████▄                  ███████   
██████                 ▄██████     
▀████▀                ▄█████▀     
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄    ▄█████▀       
▄██████████████████▄  ██▄ █████▀         
████████████████████  ██████▀▀           
████████████████████  ██████▄             
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                       
  [    |    ████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███            ▀████████
███  ███████  ▄  ▀██████
███           ██▄  ▀████
███  ███████  ████▄  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
  ] 
FACEBOOK  )   (  TWITTER  )
  SUBSCRIBE NOW!!! 
INSTAGRAM  )  (  LINKEDIN  )
llanaio

Activity: 29

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:10:29 AM

The ASIC will be too loud and intrusive. Your roommate will murder you in your sleep.

My suggestion would be to build a 4 GPU unit with more expensive cards than you might use for a beefier setup. There are some large ATX-type cases where you can pull out the HDD mountings and place two GPUs there instead using risers. Put the other two on the mobo. Add a few case fans. Probably worth the extra cost of Noctua fans since this it the room you'll be sleeping and doing other college-y things in. No one will look twice at your big computer or wonder why you always seem to use your laptop instead.

Leave the ASICs for your parents' place.  Grin
jillscarbrough

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:52:32 AM

Currently, BTC is heading to the sky. Some people are taking advantage of this moment to buy ASIC miner. There are some considerations including the installation process is not too complicated compared to building a rig. But some are more interested in building a rig with the consideration that a rig has more coin options that can be mining. The problem is if there is a new ASIC equipment then the old ASIC lost profit and difficult to resell because its price dropped drastically. Differences with RIG use GPU despite new series out for either AMD or NVIDIA. Still, the sale price is not too falling and the demand is still a lot.

▂▂▃▃  TRADE CRYPTOCURRENCIES | INDEXES | FUNDS ▃▃▂▂
●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬● BITOTAL.COM ●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●
░▒▓█ DEPOSIT BONUS | 0% TRADE FEES | WIDE COIN OFFER | EXCLUSIVE ICO'S █▓▒░
shibob

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 04:03:58 PM

Just read the "agreement for electricity" may be not enough. I think you may need to check about the internet IP management in campus, when your rig connects to pool, the campus's IT manager could figure out and feel not comfortable. One of my friend just setup the wallet in his PC at campus, and when the wallet sync with blockchain, he got a call from school haha.

Fully scalable freelancing market    ✔︎     ǀ      Follow us & check our whitepaper 
C R Y P T O T A S K     ǀ     Decentralized task market     ǀ     Low fees - no limits - task market    ✔︎     ǀ                                                                           
                                                                                           Earn money by being a reviewer     ✔︎     ǀ      Website    Announcement    Twitter    Facebook
VyprBTC

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:29:53 PM

Personally I say don't do it. Cramped space, heat issues, and the biggest one, sure you'll break even maybe make some money, but if you just put that money into a coin, you'll make 10x's what you would mining.

If we would have not bought all our mining equipment, we would have 6x the profits me made mining.

Just saying.
fanatic26

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:59:41 PM

Your GPU rig wont even ROI before you have to leave the dorm. The problem with GPU rigs is the inital cost is double an asic miner for half of the realized profits.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
it5d0n3d3al

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:11:42 PM

My buddy helped a student at a college setup a mining rig in his dorm (for a fee). Says it was a fantastic idea since electricity was included. A week later his roommate reported him to the school and states that he does not feel comfortable with the equipment use in the room. The school says it was a breach of contract, along those lines, not considered "normal use of utility" included in the room and board contract.

He is now selling his rig. The end.
gotminer

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:26:57 PM

Your GPU rig wont even ROI before you have to leave the dorm. The problem with GPU rigs is the inital cost is double an asic miner for half of the realized profits.

I wouldn't consider that a problem if you have the cash to do it.  If you ROI in 9 months, you'll still have 15 months of warranty left on the GPU's.  At least my Vega 56's are covered for two years.  Not sure about NVIDIA warranty.  You're going to get a pretty good warranty on EVGA PSU's too.  I think mine are 5 years. 

The ASIC miner is going to be way more risky.  Read the S9 forum.  Failure after failure after failure.  And yes, they are covered under Bitmain's warranty.  Problem is that if you have to send it back to China for repair, you may not see it again for 6 weeks or more.  When the ASIC becomes unprofitable, it's just trash.  Nothing else you can do with it.  If GPU mining becomes unprofitable, at least you have hardware that still has value.  Not to mention the fact that there is no way you're going to put an ASIC in a college dorm with the kind of noise they produce.  Lol. 

GPU mining is fun.  That's why I dumped a bunch of cash into it as opposed to dumping it straight into coins. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
gotminer

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:28:01 PM

My buddy helped a student at a college setup a mining rig in his dorm (for a fee). Says it was a fantastic idea since electricity was included. A week later his roommate reported him to the school and states that he does not feel comfortable with the equipment use in the room. The school says it was a breach of contract, along those lines, not considered "normal use of utility" included in the room and board contract.

He is now selling his rig. The end.

Is he in the USA?  What kind of hardware is he selling? Lol. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:28:39 PM

Most any school with college dorms is going to have restrictions on what is considered fair use and using the electricity to mine would be in violation of that. People do violate the terms everyday, most likely, as some even have rules about no commercial transactions and I'm sure college kids are selling pot or jewelry in their rooms - but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Know that the risk is there that you might possibly burn down the dorm - albeit a very low risk. Of course the risk is there with using even a hair dryer but the press won't go after you for that.

Having said all that your goal would be to build a quiet mining rig with maybe 3 to 4 cards and a water loop.

The biggest thing you have to gain from that is a better understanding of mining, pools, difficulty, etc. Sadly that knowledge doesn't seem to be conveyed no matter how many times old time miners gives sage advice - you just have to live it.

My opinion - just buy 1 popular coin and a couple of unknown but promising coins and keep adding to your portfolio as you get more and more disposable fiat. At worst you lose all you fiat sunk cost if crypto goes to nothing. At best you'll probably have more coins after 1 year than you would have been able to mine. If the profit calculators are showing a  6-9 month ROI with 10 cent electricity you only shave off a couple months with free electricity. You get guaranteed in hand coins if you buy - leaving you time to play the market if you wish to gamble (yeah that's what it has turned into now).

I was mining blocks of BTC back in the day.... but if I had just bought BTC directly and skipped mining I would be butting heads with Roger Ver. Too bad there were no decent exchanges back then.

BTC: 1AMfUrM37cCHcAvyYGx9bsJWjt6rdCu7sj
ETH: 0x427f41c3a6b79ca643210195a33cdbaa714177aa
Undefined31415

Activity: 280

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 06:41:16 PM

If you already have a desktop system that can accommodate some (or some more) graphics cards, go for it. There are legitimate purposes for having a multi-GPU system. (If you have Nvidia cards, machine learning is an interesting application. Tensorflow makes good use of multiple GPUs.)

If your plan is to set up multiple rigs and milk the university for as much free electricity as you can safely pull through the circuit, that's not a great plan. Both because you may have repercussions, and it's simply unethical. (Despite the fact that your university more than likely price-gouges to take advantage of its monopoly on "on-campus" housing facilities.)

First, keeping a small dorm room cool is going to be difficult. Either you'll need to keep a window open 24/7 with a box fan blowing all the time, or you'll have to hope you have a very nice AC system (not likely). If you have a roommate that isn't gaining any benefit from your operation, this is probably not going to work out.

If you already have a desktop system and you purchase a 1080ti or Vega (good luck) now, you can probably recover a significant proportion of the initial investment by the time you leave for the summer. Then you can bring the card(s) home and continue mining (if your electricity rate allows), or sell the card.

Obviously scalability is going to be a real problem when you're working out of a college dorm. Keep it small, and always account for plausible deniability. :p

▄███████████████▄
       ▄██▀             ▀██▄
    ▄▄██▀                 ▀██▄▄
█████▀▀       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    ▀▀█████
██          ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▀█▄▄      ██
▐█▌       ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▀███   ▐█▌
 ██      ▄▀▄▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀   ██
 ▐█▌    █▄▀▄▀▄█▀▀▀ ▀█▀ ▄▀▄▀█   ▐█▌
  ██    █▄▀▄▀▄▄█▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄▀▄▀█   ██
  ▐█▌ ▀▄█████▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀█  ▐█▌
   ██▌▀████▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▀ ▐██
    ██▌▀█▀▀█▄▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▀▄█▄▄█▀ ▐██
     ██▌ ▀  ▀███▄▄▄█████▀  ▐██
      ██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀      ▄██
       ▀██▄             ▄██▀
         ▀██▄         ▄██▀
           ▀██▄     ▄██▀
             ▀███▄███▀
               ▀███▀
DeepOnion 
★ ★ ★ ★ ★   ❱❱❱ JOIN AIRDROP NOW!
TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED
★  Your Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Your Assets Secured by TOR
★  Guard Your Privacy!
|Bitcointalk
Reddit
Telegram
|                        ▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▀
                    ▄▄██▀█▀▄▀▀▀
                  ▄██▄█▄██▀
                ▄██████▀
              ▄██████▀
  ▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
██████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀
 ▀█████  ▄███████
  ████████████▀██
  ██▀███████▀  ██
  ██ ▀████▀    ██
  ██   ▀▀      ██
  ▀█████████████▀
NiHaoMike

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 02:46:00 PM

Start small, as in 1 or 2 GPUs. It's easy to add more later. It helps to have the machine be multi purpose so paying back the entire cost would merely be a bonus.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
gotminer

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:37:52 PM

Start small, as in 1 or 2 GPUs. It's easy to add more later. It helps to have the machine be multi purpose so paying back the entire cost would merely be a bonus.

That sounds like the smart move.  As someone mentioned above ... Two GPU's in a computer case isn't going to scream "MINER" to the university or a roommate.  As far as the network goes, just use a mifi or some sort of cellular hotspot instead of the university network.  The data useage will be minimal.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.