Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:13:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Batch #3 & More  (Read 5868 times)
mik3

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 02:12:23 PM

I hope they are sleeping and dreaming of waking up, issuing partial refunds and sending out all units.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:21:21 PM

Everyone is saying "partial refund"  but what people are really asking for is a discount due to delay.
Correct?

I would think a "partial refund" is when you ordered two units but only get a refund on one of them.
koob

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:26:23 PM

Everyone is saying "partial refund"  but what people are really asking for is a discount due to delay.
Correct?

I would think a "partial refund" is when you ordered two units but only get a refund on one of them.

You get discount before paying IMO. After paying it is refund (full or partial).
mik3

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:27:26 PM

Whatever the wording, there is no way to make ROI even in 3 months now, and after 3 months things get insane with all these companies new ASICs and chips and what have you. If Bitfury ships their August units, this makes ROI impossible. Add Avalons own chips, Bitfury chips, KNC miners, ASICminer.. things are looking very gloomy. We literally have 1-2 month max to make ROI, after that, if you haven't paid off your unit, you are screwed. With current 73btc min that people paid this seems impossible.
tempt

Activity: 294
Merit: 262

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 04:13:59 PM

Yea,

it was a lottery and everyone except batch 3 lost. Batch 1 & 2 + Chip orders: winner. Batch 3: loser.

Its that easy.
I myself am also a loser.
koob

Activity: 204

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 04:20:03 PM

Yea,

it was a lottery and everyone except batch 3 lost. Batch 1 & 2 + Chip orders: winner. Batch 3: loser.

Its that easy.
I myself am also a loser.

Yeh it was lottery, but not that Avalon will be late or not. We paid more to get miners on time.
cmdbill (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:28:38 PM

Bump
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:41:35 PM

I am in a difficult situation...

A. I can't get a refund, because all Avalon's were bought in a group buy and some people paid 2x what we originally paid to take over shares. These people would be pretty mad if I all the sudden got a refund and they lost half their money.

B. I have paid 3 months rent and bills now at the commercial space where I have planned to host the equipment.

I hope Avalon is happy with themselves, this has been one of the worst business decisions ever for me to decide to host Avalons, due to Avalon's delays. They certainly owe it to their batch 3 customers- I hope they give back somehow, but I am doubtful that they will. Otherwise, Avalon is no different from BFL, and I will never forget about this or buy an Avalon product ever again.

Avalon got greedy and decided to jack the prices up to $10k a machine due to how much money they were making. But, since we get them 3 months late this price is unacceptable now, I don't think Avalon would pay this price themselves. I hope that Avalon and company still have a heart and realize that they screwed batch 3 customers (but again, I am doubtful we will see any recourse).

Landstander

Activity: 68

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:48:39 PM

Ouch man, that really sucks. Hope you're able to work something out...

1LnV7h5xrFQ98HNxctKaASbB4xRBccT5Gm     Thanks!
cmdbill (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:49:19 PM

This whole experience is hard to deal with being a proponent of btc. I told myself I would not get into the hardware race for this reason.
cmdbill (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:55:03 PM

A. I can't get a refund, because all Avalon's were bought in a group buy and some people paid 2x what we originally paid to take over shares. These people would be pretty mad if I all the sudden got a refund and they lost half their money.

B. I have paid 3 months rent and bills now at the commercial space where I have planned to host the equipment.

I hope Avalon is happy with themselves, this has been one of the worst business decisions ever for me to decide to host Avalons, due to Avalon's delays. They certainly owe it to their batch 3 customers- I hope they give back somehow, but I am doubtful that they will. Otherwise, Avalon is no different from BFL, and I will never forget about this or buy an Avalon product ever again.

Avalon got greedy and decided to jack the prices up to $10k a machine due to how much money they were making. But, since we get them 3 months late this price is unacceptable now, I don't think Avalon would pay this price themselves. I hope that Avalon and company still have a heart and realize that they screwed batch 3 customers (but again, I am doubtful we will see any recourse).

I hope you get a solution. This would be devastating having to deal with.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:08:25 AM

Kudos to you Coinhoarder, you did an excellent job for the community and this situation is totally undeserved.

Delays are to be expected, but not when the pricing is based on prediction made according to a delivery date that was delayed by 3 months.

As usual with these damn ASICs, all the risk is on the customers shoulders. In defense of Avalon they are at least offering full refunds (not honored yet), which is not the most desiderable option but at least is acceptable.

monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 04:58:20 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2013, 05:14:44 AM by monkee

I was very jealous of your group buy. I would love to have organized something like that and was wondering how all of the escrow sellers and group buyers were handling this. I'm sorry you seem to be a bit screwed now but I still have complete faith that Avalon will make things right for batch 3 in one way or another.  Some evidence is that we have heard nothing and as we have been told, that is good news Wink

Avalon lives or dies by bitcoin and we are choosing to live or die by Avalon.  Let it ride.

I wish the Avalon team good luck in getting this batch out the door and getting back to their engineering.  I think their next gen will make kncminer, etc. look like ASIC 1.1, not ASIC 2.0 and I look forward to ordering one... if I make enough BTC back by then.

Did anyone else notice that in the photos in the latest update, the heatsinks seem much closer to the case edges??  Smaller case?  Bigger heatsinks?  Different placement? *speculates*
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:36:25 PM

Did anyone else notice that in the photos in the latest update, the heatsinks seem much closer to the case edges??  Smaller case?  Bigger heatsinks?  Different placement? *speculates*

The motherboard now sits in the back (where it's cooler) and next to the RJ45 connector I no longer see a reset hole, so they might have switched to something like a Raspberry Pi?

jspielberg

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:43:13 PM

Lets hope so.  Its ridiculous that a 10,000 USD machine was being controlled by a modded $20 part.  While the Pi is only $40 it seems like a more stable/capable component.
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 02:04:03 PM

The motherboard now sits in the back (where it's cooler) and next to the RJ45 connector I no longer see a reset hole, so they might have switched to something like a Raspberry Pi?

Does not feel like a pi... they would need to either unsodder and turn the USB bracket... or use some kind of extension cable for the network port seems like a clumsy thing to do.... That is unless they made a major design change, and used SPI/GPIO to talk to the controller card...

SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:58:33 PM

Does not feel like a pi... they would need to either unsodder and turn the USB bracket... or use some kind of extension cable for the network port seems like a clumsy thing to do.... That is unless they made a major design change, and used SPI/GPIO to talk to the controller card...

Yes you are right

I was just thinking of them using the other port for communication and powering the Rpi, but forgot about
the two USB slots next to the ethernet RJ45 connector they would have to get rid off

I rarely use those connectors so forgot about them ;-)
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:24:16 PM

It's not like everyone didn't try and warn all the batch 3 people that they wouldn't ROI.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155345.msg1649240#msg1649240

Double the price is reasonable, 4+ times the "price" with another indefinite wait is absurd. Especially considering the hiccups and the delays and the general stonewalling of the people ( like me ) who ordered batch1 and batch 2 and still have nothing but a few emails and promises of "its shipped".

If you want to sell them for 100btc and you have them in stock and are shipping the next day and guarantee delivery in a week, yeah maybe the price works for the profiteers.

If you want 100 btc and you jerk everyone around like the last 2 orders, ignore the users asking for very little information and don't maintain a delivery schedule, it not going to happen. People are going to go to BFL, get their SC or minirig in the same time frame and have smaller more efficient devices.

Avalon has a niche, exploit it a little, don't go raping people.

The only thing batch3 people can hope is that BTC/$ value skyrockets.
jspielberg

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:37:03 PM

The only thing batch3 people can hope is that BTC/$ value skyrockets.

Then they would have been better off just buying BTC in that case.  Anyway... they will be worse off, but not much worse off. 
monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:47:59 PM

in the photo you posted, it is hard to see but it does appear that the heatsinks are the same distance from the fans as previously, however in the photo from the back, the heatsinks are nearly butted up against the back of the case.  in my batch 2, there is a 3 inch gap betweent the end of the heatsink and the case.  so to me it seems the heatsinks (or modules) are 3 inches longer than batch 1 & 2? or the cases 3 inches shorter?  or 2 different case designs in pics maybe too.

compare to:

*edited pics*
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: