Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Trap or Trend reversal?
Trap - 133 (51.6%)
Trend reversal - 125 (48.4%)
Total Voters: 258

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The mother of all traps?  (Read 8098 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 06:36:51 PM

SO why exactly is scaling time 2.5/3 to 1 'right' and all other ways 'wrong'? Because sometimes it fits the chart better?

Yes because it fits the chart better. Duh?

You are free to post any other comparison you can come up with. I haven't found another one that fits, perhaps you have more luck.
Why get people so concerned with this? For all I care it's a coincidence and the price can break the correlation any time.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:18:17 AM

Yay, rpietila is back! I'd lay off the meds and just get a ton of exercise and Sun (I'd say good food, but I know you got that covered Wink). Men weren't built for this modern indoor lifestyle, it can make one go insane all by itself. Think about it: we're designed so that when stress builds up we're usually in a fight-or-flight situation where we'll burn off the hormones that are secreted. Nowadays we just stew in them, which messes us up physically and mentally.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:57:29 AM

Trap currently closing. Pretty funny situation as there is more than a 10% divergence between Bitstamp and Gox; the inability to withdraw fiat from Gox is distorting the price and will probably extend the pain for the bulls in denial, as an impulsive move down is pretty much pointless if the fiat cannot be withdrawn by the traders.

lucas.sev

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:59:01 AM

Trap currently closing. Pretty funny situation as there is more than a 10% divergence between Bitstamp and Gox; the inability to withdraw fiat from Gox is distorting the price and will probably extend the pain for the bulls in denial, as an impulsive move down is pretty much pointless if the fiat cannot be withdrawn by the traders.

Do you seriously think that many people withdrew money after the 10april collapse? My bet is that there is at least the same amount of fiat/btc worth of fiat in the mtgox accounts, in different hands though.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:11:06 AM

Do you seriously think that many people withdrew money after the 10april collapse? My bet is that there is at least the same amount of fiat/btc worth of fiat in the mtgox accounts, in different hands though.

You will lose that bet big time.

I can give you two facts:

a) I personally withdrew *big time* after the april 10th collapse (at the very beginning of June to be precise).

b) the ATH fiat on Gox's order book its been +$22M. For the last month it has been fluctuating between $11M and $13M. Sure that doesn't represent ALL the fiat on Gox, but the "visible" amount is inevitable correlated with the "invisible" amount.

Most of speculators realize their fiat profits (or cut their losses) after a bubble pop. Most are in this to make money, its summer and everybody can use some profits.

lucas.sev

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:17:56 AM

a) I personally withdrew *big time* after the april 10th collapse (at the very beginning of June to be precise).

b) the ATH fiat on Gox's order book its been +$22M. For the last month it has been fluctuating between $11M and $13M. Sure that doesn't represent ALL the fiat on Gox, but the "visible" amount is inevitable correlated with the "invisible" amount.

Most of speculators realize their fiat profits (or cut their losses) after a bubble pop. Most are in this to make money, its summer and everybody can use some profits.

My view is that the book is worth less than money sitting in the sidelines. I suppose you do not share this view?
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:27:54 AM

My view is that the book is worth less than money sitting in the sidelines. I suppose you do not share this view?

I share it, I think the book is only a % of the total amount of money in the sidelines, something around 30% and 50% - but still I think the % is pretty consistent and can be used to have a rough idea of the money flow.

At the very beginning of 2013 there were $2M on Gox's book, and that figure was pretty much constant since Sept. 2012. From February 2013 the fiat in Gox's order book started to skyrocket, until it reached +$23M at the bubble top. IMO that represents A LOT of new money flowing to Gox, and the recent halving of the order book money represents a slow but steady declining of fiat. The book is no reliable indicator and its easily manipulable, but still it gives a rough picture that is useful to check the buying and selling pressure in certain points.

lucas.sev

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:48:28 AM

I share it, I think the book is only a % of the total amount of money in the sidelines, something around 30% and 50% - but still I think the % is pretty consistent and can be used to have a rough idea of the money flow.

At the very beginning of 2013 there were $2M on Gox's book, and that figure was pretty much constant since Sept. 2012. From February 2013 the fiat in Gox's order book started to skyrocket, until it reached +$23M at the bubble top. IMO that represents A LOT of new money flowing to Gox, and the recent halving of the order book money represents a slow but steady declining of fiat. The book is no reliable indicator and its easily manipulable, but still it gives a rough picture that is useful to check the buying and selling pressure in certain points.

Rembember that it was possible to set orders without actually having money in the account not so long ago. Wonder how much this skewed the book.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:49:31 AM

Rembember that it was possible to set orders without actually having money in the account not so long ago. Wonder how much this skewed the book.
It never was. What you're talking about is being able to set an unfunded "placeholder" order that doesn't appear in the order book until the funds arrive, and the order is either partly or fully activated.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:53:39 AM

It never was. What you're talking about is being able to set an unfunded "placeholder" order that doesn't appear in the order book until the funds arrive, and the order is either partly or fully activated.

Exactly. BTW: lucas.sev, do you trade or just comment? I'm curious.

lucas.sev

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:18:57 AM

I trade few times a month. Still very new to trading. I used bitcoin in 2011, and heard about them before (people mining them with radeons 5970) but was too young to think of them as an investment. Also, suspecting where the question comes from: I do not believe comments on this forum have ANY power over the price.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:24:45 AM

I trade few times a month. Still very new to trading. I used bitcoin in 2011, and heard about them before but was too young to think of them as an investment. Also, suspecting where the question comes from: I do not believe comments on this forum have ANY power over the price.

I was just surprised by the "it was possible to set orders without actually having money in the account" statement.

Those orders placed with no money never did shit, the trading platform clearly said "not enough funds" and those non-backed orders never appeared on the order book. If you were trading just a couple months ago you would have known.

lucas.sev

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:33:43 PM

I trade few times a month. Still very new to trading. I used bitcoin in 2011, and heard about them before but was too young to think of them as an investment. Also, suspecting where the question comes from: I do not believe comments on this forum have ANY power over the price.

I was just surprised by the "it was possible to set orders without actually having money in the account" statement.

Those orders placed with no money never did shit, the trading platform clearly said "not enough funds" and those non-backed orders never appeared on the order book. If you were trading just a couple months ago you would have known.

I never tried placing them that's why I did not know, but I remember there was an announcement from mtgox that it is no longer to place orders when you have not enough funds.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:39:14 PM

I never tried placing them that's why I did not know, but I remember there was an announcement from mtgox that it is no longer to place orders when you have not enough funds.

Yep, that was a DDoS related improvement. People abused the trading engine by placing thousands of non-backed orders that flooded the system while having no practical effect on the book or the trading itself. This is why they couldn't fight DDoS just by standard means.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 06:05:29 AM

So far the mother of all traps is "BUY at $266".

It was "BUY at $32".

In the next year I suspect it will be "BUY at $500 to $1000".

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:00:57 PM

It was "BUY at $32".

Dude I was missing you.
A big buy happens, price shoots up 8% and here you are!

Thanks. In a way you're good for the mood. Smiley

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:03:19 PM

It was "BUY at $32".

Dude I was missing you.
A big buy happens, price shoots up 8% and here you are!

Thanks. In a way you're good for the mood. Smiley

Price jumped 80% now?....

Someone should be making Bitcoin seat belts to fasten themselves in for this next rocket.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:36:40 AM

i'm strapped in and ready for the ride, i won't be missing out on it

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:25:35 AM

I guess it wasn't a trap. We now sitting at $130 to $140.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:27:18 PM

If I remember correctly this pattern on weekly is called "bullish engulfing" which is a reversal pattern. What it practically means is that it should go above 105 and stay above it, then reversal is confirmed and it is rally time for 5-15 weeks. For all I know it could end up above 500$.

On clarkmoody's weekly chart we have quite an awesome hammer in reversal pattern too (they build weekly chart a bit differently there)

Also the fact that all the bitcointalk bulls are so bearish is a dead giveaway that market will actually reverse to punish the suckers as it always tries to inflict the maximum pain on them.

Moreover, on daily chart (clarkmoody), it appears today we have broken over descending trendline on high volume simultaneously going over both moving averages at the same time. Lots of technicals are pointing to reversal. Your typical TA guru here would be advising to wait a few days for confirmation i.e. a few more daily candles closing above 105$ to get a high probability entrance onto the next up legs that is likely to develop into the x-mas from here on.

As I have predicted earlier all the suckers who bought in 260's have sold all their coins to those suckers who sold in 70's by now, as such the market have no purpose to stay here and it can finally move on.

[..]

Let's actually wait and see.

So we've waited and we've seen it (more to come). Who called the bottom? (Note that quoted chart is automatically updated and the call was made on July 12th)

As of now, it looks like it was a good call  Cool

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: