Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:36:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GetBitcoin - New Site For Exchanging Bitcoin/USD  (Read 5240 times)
getbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 03:45:58 AM

(New account for the site, so posting in newbies forum. Will post to main forum as soon as four-hour time limit is up.)

Hey everyone. I've noticed that, if you've just heard about Bitcoin on the news and want to buy some, it can be pretty difficult - you have to set up a Dwolla account, link it to your bank account, send money to your Dwolla account, wait for that transaction to clear, set up an MtGox account, transfer money from the Dwolla account to the MtGox account, put in a trade order on MtGox, and then transfer the Bitcoin from the MtGox account to your wallet (to name one common route).

So, I've put together a site to try and make it easier for people to buy and sell Bitcoin. The URL is https://www.get-bitcoin.com, and our goal is to make it easy and fast to buy and sell Bitcoin, even if you've never heard of it and just downloaded the software. Site is live and open for orders, but is still in beta, so comments/questions/bug reports much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:03:37 AM

but is still in beta, so comments/questions/bug reports much appreciated.

If I were to place an order of Qty 5, maximum price $16, and send the total of $80 via Dwolla, for example,

and the current market rate was $15.50 (5 X $15.5 = $77.50), what would happen?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

JackbeQuick

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 01:04:29 PM

If I were to place an order of Qty 5, maximum price $16, and send the total of $80 via Dwolla, for example,

If you already have money in your dwolla, why wouldn't you just use a regular exchange service and skip the 5% fee?
getbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 09:29:03 PM

Thanks for your question. From the FAQ (https://www.get-bitcoin.com/home/faq):

Q). How much will my Bitcoins cost?
A). We buy Bitcoins for you on the open market the day we receive payment. For example, if you mail us $200 on Monday, and it arrives Thursday, how many Bitcoins you get depends on what the market price is on Thursday evening. To ensure you receive Bitcoins at the price you want, you can set a "Maximum Price" when you place your order. If Bitcoins cannot be purchased for less than the price you name, your payment will be refunded in full.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 02:20:48 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2011, 03:08:00 AM by Stephen Gornick

Thanks for your question. From the FAQ (https://www.get-bitcoin.com/home/faq):

Q). How much will my Bitcoins cost?
A). We buy Bitcoins for you on the open market the day we receive payment. For example, if you mail us $200 on Monday, and it arrives Thursday, how many Bitcoins you get depends on what the market price is on Thursday evening. To ensure you receive Bitcoins at the price you want, you can set a "Maximum Price" when you place your order. If Bitcoins cannot be purchased for less than the price you name, your payment will be refunded in full.

I don't think that answers my question.  In my example I send $80 and the price ends up being $15.50 so I'll have purchased 5 X $15.50 = $77.50.  What about the remaining $2.50?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

HyAfo

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 02:28:31 AM

Will it have LR or PP in near future ?Thnk .
getbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2011, 01:36:36 AM

I don't think that answers my question.  I sent $80 and the price ended up being $15.50 so I bought 5 X $15.50 = $77.50.  What about the remaining $2.50?

The quantity you place your order in is in USD, not BTC (and vice versa for selling Bitcoin; you specify the amount you sell in BTC, not USD). In this scenario, you'd get 80/15.5 = 5.16 Bitcoins.
getbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2011, 01:41:23 AM

LR: yes, PP: no (too many reports of accounts getting frozen)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 08:36:48 AM

GetBItcoin.com currently shows:

Application Error
An error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. Please try again in a few moments.

If you are the application owner, check your logs for details.

- http://GetBitcoin.com

Previously, was http://Get-Bitcoin.com and that gives the same response.

SSL still is valid , shows the same thing as above.

- https://www.get-bitcoin.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

LostOnTrack

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 08:41:04 PM

Get-bitcoin.com is still down at all links I could find.  I recently sent them $300, which my DCN confirmed as as received 10 days ago.  I have gone back and forth with Hanna in regards to my order still being in "processing,"  which ultimately ended 4 days ago with me being told I couldn't receive a refund or have my money order mailed back.  I said this was fine and just to please try to get this done as soon as possible and have not heard anything as of yet.  I am hoping that I did not get defrauded as that was a nice chunk of a paycheck I had Cry.  I did business with them a month ago w/ $150 same way via money order and 5 days after they had my money order in processing I had coin.  Now its been a week and my money is still "processing" as far as I know.  Here's hoping my coin shows up eventually...

LostOnTrack
cointell

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:22:49 PM

Same happened to me.  I sent them a money order, and they keep making excuses.  I'm starting to suspect I'm never going to get my money back.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 10:43:46 PM

Same happened to me.  I sent them a money order, and they keep making excuses.  I'm starting to suspect I'm never going to get my money back.

The operator's identity is publicly known (see whois for getbitcoin.com domain) and is based in the U.S. (GetBitcoin LLC is registered entity in the State of Delaware - File# 4997818).

Hopefully, if they are winding down or whatever the situation is they'll either deliver or refund in full.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Tweaked

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 11:36:22 PM

The operator's identity is publicly known (see whois for getbitcoin.com domain) and is based in the U.S. (GetBitcoin LLC is registered entity in the State of Delaware - File# 4997818).

Hopefully, if they are winding down or whatever the situation is they'll either deliver or refund in full.

Delaware is commonly used to create "fake" companies due to there lack of company transparency laws.

Code:
registrant-firstname:            Tom
registrant-lastname:             McCabe
registrant-street1:              60 W 23rd St
registrant-street2:              Apt. 550
registrant-pcode:                10010
registrant-state:                NY
registrant-city:                 New York
registrant-ccode:                US
registrant-phone:                +1.2038502427
registrant-email:                pphysics141@gmail.com
scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 12:57:37 AM

nice digs:
http://streeteasy.com/nyc/building/the-caroline-60-west-23-street-new_york

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
LostOnTrack

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 01:15:27 AM

Well I guess my pleading email to Thomas Mccabe helped somewhat, until I checked my bitcoin wallet Embarrassed.  I received an email last night stating "my coins had to be manually entered but should be in your wallet in a few minutes."  I checked my walled 2 hours later via blockchain.info and no activity or even any pending transactions.  Realizing that maybe it had just not been posted yet, I waited and checked again tonight, over 24hours since I received the email, and still NO BITCOIN!  So I'm not sure whats up now.  Apparently Hanna is telling me she put my money in my wallet, yet my wallet tells me differently.  I have sent 2 different emails to 2 different email addresses I have for Mr. Mccabe trying to resolve this as professionally as possible.  I will let you guys know if/when I finally do receive my coins or if Hanna and Tom decided to try to pull some more BS on me.  As of right now I would not recommend anyone do business with them, which is sad because if you had asked my what I thought of them 2 months ago, after my first transaction went through I would have said they are good, they just take a few days.  Now, its more like, they take a few days then give excuses, then more excuses, then more excuses. 

LostOnTrack
firstlady0524

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:10:33 AM

I keep getting the same error is the site still down?
LostOnTrack

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:19:35 AM

I just checked the site, it's still down.  It has been 48 hours since my "confirmation" email was sent to me by Hanna, yet no coins in my account, nor replies to my emails.  I have checked via blockchain.info several times over the last 2 days and nothing, no transaction was ever started.  Now they won't even talk to me or answer my emails.  Mr. Mccabe and Hanna seem to have disappeared with $300 of mine so I guess I will have to consult with an attorney now and see what if anything can be done.  I will give them until Thursday to make this right then I'm calling a lawyer, this is ridiculous Embarrassed Angry.

LostOnTrack
c4n10

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:38:30 AM

Subbing to see how this turns out. If you guys don't get your money back I will be adding this user and his "service" to my "Disreputable BTC Users" list at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=107094.40
LostOnTrack

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:20:57 AM

Well I finally was able to get my coins, almost a week past time when they should have been delivered and only after having my lawyer write up a nice but firm email explaining the situation from my point of view.  I will never do business with Get-bitcoin.com again.  Horrible customer service, as I should never have to hire an attorney to get what I have already paid for.  Also they still took the 5% out, after all this bs they still think they fulfilled my order within "24" hours Tongue LOL.  Yes by all means add them to the "Disreputable BTC Users" list, they have gone out of their way to earn a spot on it in my honest opinion, and have run off a previous customer as well.

LostOnTrack
c4n10

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:38:28 AM

Well I finally was able to get my coins, almost a week past time when they should have been delivered and only after having my lawyer write up a nice but firm email explaining the situation from my point of view.  I will never do business with Get-bitcoin.com again.  Horrible customer service, as I should never have to hire an attorney to get what I have already paid for.  Also they still took the 5% out, after all this bs they still think they fulfilled my order within "24" hours Tongue LOL.  Yes by all means add them to the "Disreputable BTC Users" list, they have gone out of their way to earn a spot on it in my honest opinion, and have run off a previous customer as well.

LostOnTrack

Done.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: