Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:35:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to shutdown Antminer daily?  (Read 198 times)
thephoenixxp (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:25:29 PM

Hi,

I'm the recent owner of an Antminer D3 rig. Since the miner is pretty loud, I would like to set it up so it automatically shuts off every day, for a few hours. If I issue the shutdown -h command via ssh and then, after a few minutes, unplug it (I've noticed the fans never stop, even if it's powered off), can this be harmful in any way for the miner, on the long term? Are there any power-on cycles I need to consider for it or its hard-disk, memory etc.?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 12:00:55 AM

There's no problem in the longrun if you do it correctly - you should shut down mining on the device ~5 minutes before you're going to turn it off, this way you won't cause thermal shock (you'll know the right time period, it should just be blowing air out the exhaust that's basically the same temp as the intake).  Then just power down the rig with a PDU or remote power switch of some sort.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: