Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:02:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 131 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released!  (Read 397579 times)
megges

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:08:55 PM

So far, my core 2 duo processor is getting 3-400 PPS compared to 50ish it was getting originally. Of course I still haven't found a block yet... I'm sure global PPS is way up there now. I'll leave it running for 24 hours to see if it's worth it.

Short answer: Use a pool: http://ypool.net/news.php

BS

^^ ... virustotal.com says?

tip me! Tongue XtSrWch1U3BsTBFBHj7acTTzxFo1fy5BMa

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:13:01 PM

So far, my core 2 duo processor is getting 3-400 PPS compared to 50ish it was getting originally. Of course I still haven't found a block yet... I'm sure global PPS is way up there now. I'll leave it running for 24 hours to see if it's worth it.

BS

^^ ... virustotal.com says?

Common sense says?  Roll Eyes
crendore

Activity: 363

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:14:53 PM

changed seive size to 2m restarted, boom! hit a block instantly. probably just dumb luck.

Krusher33

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:15:18 PM

The normal steps I learned to do get primecoin going is:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/mikaelh2/primecoin
cd primecoin/src
make -f makefile.unix
mv primecoind /usr/local/bin
cd /usr/local/bin
primecoind --daemon
watch 'primecoind getmininginfo'

If I tried to do just "primecoind setgenerate true -1" instead of "primecoind --daemon", it says something about couldn't connect to server.

Presumably /usr/local/bin is on your path, because linux normally does not include its current directrory in its path so normally you would have to do ./programname when you go to the program's location to run it. So, since primecoind works, there is no need to cd /usr/local/bin

Also, I didn't even know they had enabled double dash commandline switches like --daemon, does that actually work nowadays? Back in the day all those were single-dash, like -daemon.

So maybe try
Code:
cd primecoin/src
make -f makefile.unix
mv primecoind /usr/local/bin
nice /usr/local/bin/primecoind -daemon -gen=1
watch '/usr/local/bin/primecoind getmininginfo'

-MarkM-

Never tried single dash to be honest.  I was just going by digitalocean's guide which has the double dash.
I didn't include the -gen=1 because it's in my config file already.

I go to the /usr/local/bin location so that I don't have to type /usr/local/bin/primecoind whenever I want to do another command.  Just simply primecoind command.

I finally got "nice" to work nice for me. But it's not being nice to me.  PPS is low and the GPU miner still suffers at 580 something.  Cores usage are all over the place instead of a steady 100%. I'm going back to using 7 cores instead which still gives me only a 500 PPS loss and a drop of only 20khps on the GPU miner.
datguyian

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:20:33 PM

Does the pool worx fine?
I know its hard to do pool with primes, and i hear not match get mined @pool

Just discovered and started using the pool.. Looks to be really slow at finding blocks right now, even with 72 workers.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄██████████████▄
     █████████████████████▄
   █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀▀       ▀▀██████▄
 █████████               █████
▐███████▌                 ▀███▌
████████                   ████
▐██████▌                   ▐██▌
 ███████                   ███
  ███████                 ███
   ▀██████▄             ▄██▀
     ▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
        ▀▀███████████▀▀

▄▄▄             ▄▄▄           ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
 ███             ███           ███   ███████▄      ███        ████████      ███                   ████████       ██████▄       ███   ███████████████▄
 ███             ███           ███   ███ ▀████     ███       ███▀  ▀███     ███                  ███▀  ▀███      ███ ▀███▄     ███   ███         ▀███
 ███             ███           ███   ███   ▀███▄   ███      ███▀    ▀███    ███                 ███▀    ▀███     ███   ████    ███   ███          ███
 ███             ███           ███   ███     ▀███▄ ███     ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████   ███                ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████    ███    ▀███▄  ███   ███          ███
 ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███       ███████    ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ███      ▀███▄███   ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
  ▀████████████▌  ▀█████████████▀    ███        ▀▀████   ███▀          ▀███  ▀█████████████  ███▀          ▀███  ███        ▀▀████   █████████████▀▀
                     ▄▄███████
                 ▄████████████
              ▄██████▀▀▀██████
       ▄▄   ▄███████     ████
   ▄▄███▀  ██████████▄▄▄████▀
 ▄████▀▀  █████████████████
         ████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
          ▀█████████▀
     ▄█▀    ▀██▀▀   ▄▄
    ██  ▄█▀      ▄███▌
   █████▀        ███▀
   ▀▀▀          ███▀
                ▀     

▄█████████  ███       ██▄      ▄██         █████       ████▌   ▄██████████   
 ██▌          ███        ▀██▄  ▄██▀          ██▌███     ██▀██▌  ▐██           
 ███████████  ███          ▀████▀            ██▌ ███   ██▀ ██▌  ▐███████████   
 ██▌          ███▄          ▐██▌             ██▌  ███ ██▀  ██▌  ▐██           
 ██▌           ▀█████████   ▐██▌             ██▌   ▀███▀   ██▌   ▀██████████

█████████████▌  ▄███████████▄         █████████████▌  ██▌      ▐██    ▄██████████         █████       █████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████▄   ▐████▄     ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▀       ▀██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐██                  ██▌███     ███▐██   ▐██▀      ▀██▌   ▐██▀      ▀██▌  ▐██▀███    ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██         ██▌             ▐██        ████████████   ▐███████████         ██▌ ███   ███ ▐██   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██        ██▌  ▐██  ▀██▄  ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▄       ▄██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐█▌                  ██▌  ███ ███  ▐██   ▐██▄      ▄██▌   ▐██▄      ▄██▌  ▐██    ▀██▄▐██ 
      ▐██        ▀███████████▀              ▐██        ██▌      ▐██    ▀██████████         ██▌   ▀███▀   ▐██    ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████▀   ▐██      ▀████ 
  (
BUY LLN
)Twitter
Facebook
Telegram
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 08:26:17 PM

I go to the /usr/local/bin location so that I don't have to type /usr/local/bin/primecoind whenever I want to do another command.  Just simply primecoind command.

That should not work. The current directory you are in is deliberately not on PATH for security reasons, so being there should force you to use ./primecoind command, the ./ meaning in the current directory.

So most likely /usr/local/bin is on your path, it normally is, and that means you don't have to be there, from anywhere you should be able to do primecoind command and it will look on the PATH and find a copy of it in /usr/local/bin and if not there then try /bin and /usr/bin, heck it might even try ~/.local/bin

So you should not have to go there, or, if you do have to, then you should have to use the ./ prefix to force it to look in the current directory.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 08:34:49 PM

Also, I didn't even know they had enabled double dash commandline switches like --daemon, does that actually work nowadays? Back in the day all those were single-dash, like -daemon.

Never tried single dash to be honest.  I was just going by digitalocean's guide which has the double dash.

This is going way off topic, but as a somewhat oldskool Linux/unix geek it's interesting to see how cryptocurrencies make people learn about real computingTM Wink

GNU style options always have long and short forms, distinguished by the dashes. For example, you'd have both --daemon and -d for the same option. Not everything follows this, though, so --daemon might be completely different from -daemon.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
Krusher33

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:37:59 PM

That should not work. The current directory you are in is deliberately not on PATH for security reasons, so being there should force you to use ./primecoind command, the ./ meaning in the current directory.

So most likely /usr/local/bin is on your path, it normally is, and that means you don't have to be there, from anywhere you should be able to do primecoind command and it will look on the PATH and find a copy of it in /usr/local/bin and if not there then try /bin and /usr/bin, heck it might even try ~/.local/bin

So you should not have to go there, or, if you do have to, then you should have to use the ./ prefix to force it to look in the current directory.

-MarkM-

I guess I'm super special.  I just "cd /usr/local/bin" and do "primecoind command" and it does work.  Never had the need to do a ./ prefix.

I'm just too lazy to type the entire directory out when the only thing that concerns me in this VM is just primecoind and it works fine.

In any case, thanks for all you guys help in figuring out my original issue even though all I needed to do was reboot the VM for some reason.
bidji29

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:38:22 PM

I can't find the command to change the sievesize, on a Linux VPS
I tried : primecoind -sievesize 2000000
 But it doesn't work.

http://www.freebieservers.com/  100% FREE GAME SERVERS
ribal

Activity: 217
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:39:46 PM

No matter waht version, even official, i try, i get this

Program: primexoin-qt.exe
File: src/main.cpp
Line: 1719

Expression: pfork!= NULL

Whats wrong? Already re-installed.
masterOfDisaster

Activity: 321

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:44:11 PM

I can't find the command to change the sievesize, on a Linux VPS
I tried : primecoind -sievesize 2000000
 But it doesn't work.

Here is how it works:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255782.msg2729106#msg2729106

Or try adding it to your "primecoin.conf":
sievesize=2000000
The primecoin.conf should be located at ~/.primecoin in linux installations. If not, create one there Wink
bidji29

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:45:36 PM

Thanks Smiley

dudeguy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:45:44 PM

Does the pool worx fine?
I know its hard to do pool with primes, and i hear not match get mined @pool

Yes I've used it. I sandboxed jhPrimeminer.exe and it's not malicious. They pay you shares. Their system now is imperfect and less efficient than HP4 but you are guaranteed a payout where as solo mining you are not.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 08:49:56 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2013, 09:01:33 PM by markm

I guess I'm super special.  I just "cd /usr/local/bin" and do "primecoind command" and it does work.  Never had the need to do a ./ prefix.

Just leave out the cd /usr/local/bin, the command should work no matter what directory you are in, the cd is not needed and its a bad place to sit too because for example if core dumps happen they like to land in your current directory, so in general it is best practice for your current directory to be one you have write access to and also one where you will expect/know to go looking for anything you created as side effects when doing things, such as core dump files. Likely core dumps are turned off, but still it is pointless to do that cd, as the reason the program was itself put in /usr/local/bin was so that you will be able to execute it from anywhere, because /usr/local/bin is on your PATH when you are a user in a shell. (it is usually deliberately not in the PATH for scripts run by the cron daemon and stuff like that).

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
bidji29

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:54:25 PM

I'm on a Ubuntu VPS and HP4 keep crashing on some of my instance.
Is there an easy way to auto-restart an program when he crashes?

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 09:00:03 PM

changed seive size to 2m restarted, boom! hit a block instantly. probably just dumb luck.

Lucky... haha Tongue

Almost certainly, but I've noticed that block findings are more common after just starting the primecoind (first 1/2 hour) then regularly. Maybe I'm imagining things.
Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 09:10:03 PM

using mikaelhs's build 2 with no a sieve size changes. 15 blocks today. 15k pps
OnlyC

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 09:17:52 PM

My primecoind keep turning off when mining for a while? Have to start primecoind again and watch.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 09:25:11 PM

Lucky... haha Tongue

Almost certainly, but I've noticed that block findings are more common after just starting the primecoind (first 1/2 hour) then regularly. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Hhmm... well luck is on your side. Smiley

I have 9 VPSs right now running the new hp4 build and nothing... What's your sievesize? (if you don't mind sharing)

I had default until an hour ago, just switched to 2mil, everybody seam to recommend it, and I really have no time to test it myself on testnet.
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 09:35:11 PM

I'm gonna try different sieve sizes on digitalocean vps...having 0 blocks for a day so far.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 131 »
  Print  

Jump to: