Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:50:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPonzi: GLBSE pyramid scheme!  (Read 3847 times)
cuddlefish (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:43:37 AM

BitPonzi is exactly what it sounds like.

It is a GLBSE asset. Once a week, on Saturdays, I will pay a dividend of 90% of profit from selling the asset to all shareholders.

Get in now for maximum profit!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
erek

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:45:36 PM

what do you guys make of this?
Anonymous

July 03, 2011, 09:47:01 PM

Hahaha, never would this be possible before. The world is changing before our very eyes.

Cheers to Bitcoin!
MtRev

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 09:48:21 PM

90% ?? Hmm.. . tempting but i dont know.

Don't trade alone! Let's Talk Money!
Stocks, Options, Crypto, Forex, Dividends and the Commodities market
erek

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:49:32 PM

why don't you know? explain
Anonymous

July 03, 2011, 09:50:26 PM

why don't you know? explain
English isn't his first language.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:51:29 PM

...so I buy a share for 1 BTC (e.g.) to get back 90 bitcents? Wow, sounds like a GREAT deal! Roll Eyes

With the "once a week" scheme, I doubt anyone will even buy a single share in week 2, so it quite likely that you only give some free money to the operator.

Also it's fairly easy to cheat a system like this as an operator.

Edit: Some people seem quite eager to loose money, maybe I should do something similar?! http://charts.glbse.com/markets/BitPonzi_trades.html

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
erek

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 10:04:04 PM

...so I buy a share for 1 BTC (e.g.) to get back 90 bitcents? Wow, sounds like a GREAT deal! Roll Eyes

With the "once a week" scheme, I doubt anyone will even buy a single share in week 2, so it quite likely that you only give some free money to the operator.

Also it's fairly easy to cheat a system like this as an operator.

Edit: Some people seem quite eager to loose money, maybe I should do something similar?! http://charts.glbse.com/markets/BitPonzi_trades.html
so it's always going to be at a loss of 10% for whoever buys a share?
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:18:06 AM

No, it'll be a loss of 10% for the ones in the first round - it will be a much bigger loss for anyone buying in at further rounds who then subsidize partially the 10% loss of the first-rounders (but as you'd need 10 times the volume of round 1 further down the road to even let the first-rounders have ZERO LOSS, it's quite likely that only the operator wins).

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:38:16 AM

I'm confused...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TheBitMan

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 01:06:00 AM

I'm confused...
same here
Anonymous

July 04, 2011, 01:09:29 AM

Basically you buy shares in this fictional company. It takes all the investments and spits them out as profit every weekend, assuming new investors are always appearing.

Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 01:43:17 AM

Sounds like Stockgeneration.com all over again!

Basically you buy shares in this fictional company. It takes all the investments and spits them out as profit every weekend, assuming new investors are always appearing.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
josell

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:21:31 PM

I hope I loose nothing.
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:46:40 PM

I don't think you're supposed to advertised a ponzi scheme with this amount of transparency. At least you get points for originality.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2011, 05:32:31 AM

The first legitimate Ponzi scheme.

If you start using, the more people you get in the more you can get out, and it grows until the last ones to enter are final losers.

Kind of like social security.

Check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
3phase

Activity: 313
Merit: 251

Third score

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:34:46 AM

aah, NOW I UNDERSTAND!!

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
josell

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:59:21 PM

When is the payment? Saturday or Sunday?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:02:44 AM

If you start using, the more people you get in the more you can get out, and it grows until the last ones to enter are final losers.

Check it out.

Should GLBSE really be supporting this sort of scheme as one of it's tradable assets?

While I can sort of see a case for it because it's up front about what it is, it strikes me as the sort of thing that will negatively affect GLBSE's growth.
Why not restrict assets to those that have at least a plausible sustainable investment model - and also are not so likely to attract negative attention from the media and/or various law enforcement/regulatory bodies?

While in general I expect the bitcoin community would be hesitant to get law enforcement involved in disputes - there are perhaps cases involving fraud where there is a place for cooperation with certain agencies. (e.g MTGox indicated they may get law enforcement involved with certain aspects of the recent hack)
Having an asset like bitponzi on the books seems to make it unlikely you'd get any cooperation if for some reason the exchange did need to work with investigators on some issue.

That aside.. it's just likely to scare the average investor off and thus reduce the potential depth of the GLBSE exchange.

Wouldn't it be in your interests to drop bitponzi and at least have a basic 'dress code' for listings? - e.g: 
a) real world contact details which you have verified (can be kept secret - but retained in case of fraud)
b) plausible sustainable business model
c) enough transparency in operations to give credence to b).

I can see you're going for a hands off approach from your terms and conditions.. which is fine to an extent..
but it puts your interests somewhat at odds with those of the average investor.
BitcoinGlobal could be seen to be making a profit from shonky asset operators. 

You state:
"We assume no responsibility or liability for any fraud committed on this exchange but will do our best to prevent its occurrence."
Ponzi schemes aren't likely to fit into most peoples expectations of doing the best to prevent fraud. Even if bitponzi itself is up front about it - you can almost guarantee some early participant will misrepresent it to someone else in order to get more money into the pot.
It's a bit like a company saying they don't spam, yet they encourage their agents to do it on their behalf.

Your exchange your rules.. but it strikes me that you're making a gift for whatever competitors come along and setup an exchange that feels more 'business-like'.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 11:17:23 AM

Check it out.

Should GLBSE really be supporting this sort of scheme as one of it's tradable assets?

While I can sort of see a case for it because it's up front about what it is, it strikes me as the sort of thing that will negatively affect GLBSE's growth.
Why not restrict assets to those that have at least a plausible sustainable investment model - and also are not so likely to attract negative attention from the media and/or various law enforcement/regulatory bodies?

While in general I expect the bitcoin community would be hesitant to get law enforcement involved in disputes - there are perhaps cases involving fraud where there is a place for cooperation with certain agencies. (e.g MTGox indicated they may get law enforcement involved with certain aspects of the recent hack)
Having an asset like bitponzi on the books seems to make it unlikely you'd get any cooperation if for some reason the exchange did need to work with investigators on some issue.

That aside.. it's just likely to scare the average investor off and thus reduce the potential depth of the GLBSE exchange.

Wouldn't it be in your interests to drop bitponzi and at least have a basic 'dress code' for listings? - e.g: 
a) real world contact details which you have verified (can be kept secret - but retained in case of fraud)
b) plausible sustainable business model
c) enough transparency in operations to give credence to b).

I can see you're going for a hands off approach from your terms and conditions.. which is fine to an extent..
but it puts your interests somewhat at odds with those of the average investor.
BitcoinGlobal could be seen to be making a profit from shonky asset operators. 

You state:
"We assume no responsibility or liability for any fraud committed on this exchange but will do our best to prevent its occurrence."
Ponzi schemes aren't likely to fit into most peoples expectations of doing the best to prevent fraud. Even if bitponzi itself is up front about it - you can almost guarantee some early participant will misrepresent it to someone else in order to get more money into the pot.
It's a bit like a company saying they don't spam, yet they encourage their agents to do it on their behalf.

Your exchange your rules.. but it strikes me that you're making a gift for whatever competitors come along and setup an exchange that feels more 'business-like'.

GLBSE is just a platform, with the exception of cheating people we take no position on whats traded.

The issuer is upfront on exactly what this is, a Ponzi scheme, if people decide to buy it then they are gambling, and the risk as a result is theirs.

Nefario.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:21:51 PM

GLBSE is just a platform, with the exception of cheating people we take no position on whats traded.

The issuer is upfront on exactly what this is, a Ponzi scheme, if people decide to buy it then they are gambling, and the risk as a result is theirs.

Nefario.

Yeah I got that already..  your reply is just the tl;dr version of your terms and conditions.

The point of my post was about whether you had any concerns about the types of assets you admit affecting the perception of your business, and likely (IMO) effects on growth.

I think you'll do well from the die-hard libertarian quarter - not so much from the general investor/business community.
Your chosen position is entirely consistent with commonly perceived ideals of deregulation and decentralization in the bitcoin community.

It worries me that operations such as yours will deter many from the general uptake of bitcoin - not just your own business.

If it worries a guy like me - it'll positively send some others packing. Hopefully I'm wrong however and the majority of the world will jump into this wild west with open wallets and reckless abandon!

ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:28:52 PM

I don't think this is legal. and why?

Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 12:41:36 PM

Nefario.

Yeah I got that already..  your reply is just the tl;dr version of your terms and conditions.

The point of my post was about whether you had any concerns about the types of assets you admit affecting the perception of your business, and likely (IMO) effects on growth.

I think you'll do well from the die-hard libertarian quarter - not so much from the general investor/business community.
Your chosen position is entirely consistent with commonly perceived ideals of deregulation and decentralization in the bitcoin community.

It worries me that operations such as yours will deter many from the general uptake of bitcoin - not just your own business.

If it worries a guy like me - it'll positively send some others packing. Hopefully I'm wrong however and the majority of the world will jump into this wild west with open wallets and reckless abandon!

What I would recommend you do is begin a rating service that investigates each asset on GLBSE and gives it a safety rating. This is something thats needed and allows regular investors to choose more wisely.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:57:54 PM

What I would recommend you do is begin a rating service that investigates each asset on GLBSE and gives it a safety rating. This is something thats needed and allows regular investors to choose more wisely.

Spoken like a true laissez faire economist!

Despite my protestations above - I do have some respect for this approach.
It's the pragmatist in me that thinks  - without such a system in place already - the damage is being done.

I hope if/when some 3rd parties offer rating services - you are able to integrate their ratings directly into your interfaces.

lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:31:47 PM

I think this might be interesting with a 99% payback. As it is, with 10% lopped off for the owner, it becomes untenable incredibly quickly.

Though not as quickly as Sukrim thinks it will. (Hint, you don't need 10 times the volume in week 2 to make a profit for a week 1 investor)

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 01:19:44 AM

I wonder though why suddenly a LOT of trades are happening at 3 times inflated prices... http://charts.glbse.com/markets/BitPonzi/trades.html

erek

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:50:33 PM

did anyone make a decent return on this BitPonzi?
Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 04:23:33 PM

Apart from cuddlefish?

Also is it over?

Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 11:20:05 AM

I'm happy to announce that for the web client, bitcoin history now shows which asset has paid a dividends.

All the history pages (bitcoin,asset,market) now show 15 entries instead of the default 5.

Please clear your browser cache and reload the webclient to use.

Nefario.

erek

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:10:08 AM

anyone makin good profit on this venture?
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 03:57:55 AM

Has anyone heard from cuddlefish lately?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 05:24:45 AM

As silly and sleezy as this is... I do like the fact that glbse allows anything and everything to exist.

Lets just hope it doesn't scare away any real company attempts.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 05:38:11 AM

As silly and sleezy as this is... I do like the fact that glbse allows anything and everything to exist.

Lets just hope it doesn't scare away any real company attempts.

Thank you, I take this as a compliment.

LightRider, cuddlefish has a habbit of disappearing for a while and then coming back, it's normal for him, at least that's been my experience.

Nefario.

Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 05:42:47 AM

Now how long until we have a publicly traded meth lab?!

Those would be interesting accounting reports to read.

July 28, 2011: Debit: Dead hooker removal and cleanup from shed c.  $76.54
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 06:50:44 AM

Now how long until we have a publicly traded meth lab?!

Those would be interesting accounting reports to read.

July 28, 2011: Debit: Dead hooker removal and cleanup from shed c.  $76.54

September 4, 2011: Credit: 10% Rebate for Shed Converted to Man Cave    $456.78
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: