Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:00:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPonzi: GLBSE pyramid scheme!  (Read 3847 times)
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:21:51 PM

Your exchange your rules.. but it strikes me that you're making a gift for whatever competitors come along and setup an exchange that feels more 'business-like'.

GLBSE is just a platform, with the exception of cheating people we take no position on whats traded.

The issuer is upfront on exactly what this is, a Ponzi scheme, if people decide to buy it then they are gambling, and the risk as a result is theirs.

Nefario.

Yeah I got that already..  your reply is just the tl;dr version of your terms and conditions.

The point of my post was about whether you had any concerns about the types of assets you admit affecting the perception of your business, and likely (IMO) effects on growth.

I think you'll do well from the die-hard libertarian quarter - not so much from the general investor/business community.
Your chosen position is entirely consistent with commonly perceived ideals of deregulation and decentralization in the bitcoin community.

It worries me that operations such as yours will deter many from the general uptake of bitcoin - not just your own business.

If it worries a guy like me - it'll positively send some others packing. Hopefully I'm wrong however and the majority of the world will jump into this wild west with open wallets and reckless abandon!

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:28:52 PM

I don't think this is legal. and why?

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 12:41:36 PM

Your exchange your rules.. but it strikes me that you're making a gift for whatever competitors come along and setup an exchange that feels more 'business-like'.

GLBSE is just a platform, with the exception of cheating people we take no position on whats traded.

The issuer is upfront on exactly what this is, a Ponzi scheme, if people decide to buy it then they are gambling, and the risk as a result is theirs.

Nefario.

Yeah I got that already..  your reply is just the tl;dr version of your terms and conditions.

The point of my post was about whether you had any concerns about the types of assets you admit affecting the perception of your business, and likely (IMO) effects on growth.

I think you'll do well from the die-hard libertarian quarter - not so much from the general investor/business community.
Your chosen position is entirely consistent with commonly perceived ideals of deregulation and decentralization in the bitcoin community.

It worries me that operations such as yours will deter many from the general uptake of bitcoin - not just your own business.

If it worries a guy like me - it'll positively send some others packing. Hopefully I'm wrong however and the majority of the world will jump into this wild west with open wallets and reckless abandon!

What I would recommend you do is begin a rating service that investigates each asset on GLBSE and gives it a safety rating. This is something thats needed and allows regular investors to choose more wisely.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:57:54 PM

What I would recommend you do is begin a rating service that investigates each asset on GLBSE and gives it a safety rating. This is something thats needed and allows regular investors to choose more wisely.

Spoken like a true laissez faire economist!

Despite my protestations above - I do have some respect for this approach.
It's the pragmatist in me that thinks  - without such a system in place already - the damage is being done.

I hope if/when some 3rd parties offer rating services - you are able to integrate their ratings directly into your interfaces.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:31:47 PM

I think this might be interesting with a 99% payback. As it is, with 10% lopped off for the owner, it becomes untenable incredibly quickly.

Though not as quickly as Sukrim thinks it will. (Hint, you don't need 10 times the volume in week 2 to make a profit for a week 1 investor)

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 01:19:44 AM

I wonder though why suddenly a LOT of trades are happening at 3 times inflated prices... http://charts.glbse.com/markets/BitPonzi/trades.html

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
erek

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:50:33 PM

did anyone make a decent return on this BitPonzi?
Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 04:23:33 PM

Apart from cuddlefish?

Also is it over?

Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 11:20:05 AM

I'm happy to announce that for the web client, bitcoin history now shows which asset has paid a dividends.

All the history pages (bitcoin,asset,market) now show 15 entries instead of the default 5.

Please clear your browser cache and reload the webclient to use.

Nefario.

erek

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:10:08 AM

anyone makin good profit on this venture?
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 03:57:55 AM

Has anyone heard from cuddlefish lately?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 05:24:45 AM

As silly and sleezy as this is... I do like the fact that glbse allows anything and everything to exist.

Lets just hope it doesn't scare away any real company attempts.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 05:38:11 AM

As silly and sleezy as this is... I do like the fact that glbse allows anything and everything to exist.

Lets just hope it doesn't scare away any real company attempts.

Thank you, I take this as a compliment.

LightRider, cuddlefish has a habbit of disappearing for a while and then coming back, it's normal for him, at least that's been my experience.

Nefario.

Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 05:42:47 AM

Now how long until we have a publicly traded meth lab?!

Those would be interesting accounting reports to read.

July 28, 2011: Debit: Dead hooker removal and cleanup from shed c.  $76.54
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 06:50:44 AM

Now how long until we have a publicly traded meth lab?!

Those would be interesting accounting reports to read.

July 28, 2011: Debit: Dead hooker removal and cleanup from shed c.  $76.54

September 4, 2011: Credit: 10% Rebate for Shed Converted to Man Cave    $456.78
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: