Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:04:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin.com CEO Says Futures Will Drive Up Bitcoin Price  (Read 678 times)
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 09:28:35 PM

Bitcoin.com CEO Says Futures Will Drive Up Bitcoin Price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJAAMtqXc5I

LOL, futures will get raped by pure Bitcoin markets. While they are closed for the night/weekend/giftmas... Bitcoin exchanges truck on, and when it moves 10 or 20% during that time, futures will open with gaps and those on the wrong side will be ruined with losses and possibly owing above their account values. This will be great Smiley

This. Plus I am eager to see what Black-Scholes Formula gives with bitcoin's volatility

intentionally left blank
CornCube

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:47:23 PM

LOL, futures will get raped by pure Bitcoin markets. While they are closed for the night/weekend/giftmas... Bitcoin exchanges truck on, and when it moves 10 or 20% during that time, futures will open with gaps and those on the wrong side will be ruined with losses and possibly owing above their account values. This will be great Smiley

CME futures only closed for 60 minutes per day, except closed weekends.

Don't you think traders will close positions before the weekend or appropriately hedge across that gap every weekend?

Also don’t you think the margin requirements will be appropriately computed on the high history of volatility of BTC?

You seem to presume these folks can’t do math.

But maybe you’re correct, that the margin requirements for safety are too high for most to play. However, if margin is provided in BTC that would be less onerous, e.g. miners hedging.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2982
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:52:30 PM

You look to be the most active in making these such threads about bitcoin. I hope that futures will give bitcoin a very positive price movement since many are also worried about it since whales will do something to make the price go down which can be beneficial with their futures investment. But still everyone here is hoping to make a better investment with futures as well and it will give bitcoin a positive result.

But i think if once the bitcoin starts to trade in futures then fiat currency holders can also play in bitcoin and it will make the price move more high only. As you said most of them are worried that the whales will drive the price down and same sentiment they will take as positive for them and they will buy on each dip.

That's what I'm thinking, while they are with futures of course they'll do something to follow the bitcoin market. But if this futures will be driven down by another whales that wanted to take over bitcoin market and starts their very own market, we're all done but I doubt that this will happen since bitcoin has been with many challenges before and this futures is just a basic peanuts that will also add another value for it.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:24:10 AM

CME futures only closed for 60 minutes per day, except closed weekends.

Don't you think traders will close positions before the weekend or appropriately hedge across that gap every weekend?

Also don’t you think the margin requirements will be appropriately computed on the high history of volatility of BTC?

You seem to presume these folks can’t do math.

But maybe you’re correct, that the margin requirements for safety are too high for most to play. However, if margin is provided in BTC that would be less onerous, e.g. miners hedging.

http://cfe.cboe.com/cfe-products/xbt-cboe-bitcoin-futures/contract-specifications

This is the one that opened today. It has extended hours, but those sessions aren't available to everyone. Normal hours are 8:30am-3:15PM Monday-Friday.
It might be marginally safer than I first expected but then again, I'm pretty sure I heard they allow 20x. If that is the case, it is definitely too high for a lot of traders to handle, hence why places like BFX only has 2.5x. Still a lot can happen during the times they are closed and I wouldn't put it past those that can, gaming it from both sides. It'll still be interesting to see how things go until it matures.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: