Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:59:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is TradeFortress a criminal?
Yes, absolutely he is a criminal - 49 (24.3%)
Yes, absolutely he is a con man - 18 (8.9%)
Yes, absolutely he is running an illegal bank - 13 (6.4%)
No, why would you say that? - 72 (35.6%)
I don't know - 50 (24.8%)
Total Voters: 202

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is TradeFortress breaking the law?  (Read 11033 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:05:54 PM

So he's against centralized payment system but own's a centralized bank and a online wallet.

Great.

LOL, fucking hilarious...
It explains why he's driven like a man possessed to spread so much FUD about ripple and opencoin.  It's in competition to his own scams!   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ffssixtynine

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:43:58 PM

So he's against centralized payment system but own's a centralized bank and a online wallet.

Great.

LOL, fucking hilarious...
It explains why he's driven like a man possessed to spread so much FUD about ripple and opencoin.  It's in competition to his own scams!   

Good grief guys. Ripple/Opencoin aren't competition whatsoever. They're totally and utterly different.

His attack is against the currency; he doesn't see that it works and he thinks it's a way for OpenCoin to make money through pre-mining and that's it. I'm not with him on this at all and nor do I agree with the nature of his attacks but it's still very different.

I can't say if he's scamming or not, that's for you to show, but it's still coming across as a personal attack/witch hunt. As for the legalities of his offerings, I think you'll find his business is one of any number of current Bitcoin businesses that are in the grey area of the law or flat out illegal. If you go for him, you should go for the majority of Bitcoin businesses - e.g. virtually every gambling site. You can't have it both ways.
Viceroy (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:28:06 PM

Yes you are right I should start a "are bitcoin gambling sites illegal" thread but we already know the answer, right?

Let's find out:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=276787.0

ffssixtynine

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:31:35 AM

Yes you are right I should start a "are bitcoin gambling sites illegal" thread but we already know the answer, right?
Let's find out:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=276787.0

Minor point, but the question isn't "are bitcoin gambling sites illegal" but whether any are fully compliant with gambling legislation across relevant territories. There is nothing inherently illegal about running a gambling site which accepts or pays out in Bitcoin AFAIK.

Also, with relevance to legalities generally, Marco Santori has a two part series on CoinDesk:

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-law-what-us-businesses-need-to-know/

BTW I also expect that TF's loan service is illegal. In fact, I can't see how it isn't, although it depends where he is based and of course he could have the licenses... but probably not. Like most Bitcoin financial services, invest at your own risk.

BTCT is in the same boat IMHO. UKYO argues that Bitfunder isn't but at best they are in a very grey area and are playing a clever game (particularly by being based in a well selected location apparently). Several funds are in very dubious positions.

Mt Gox got caught out, other exchanges are going through all their own issues.

Selling your own Bitcoins is possibly illegal in the US.

Etc etc etc.

My point comes back to why this picking on TradeFortress? If he is scamming, evidence evidence evidence!
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:35:27 AM

Because:
I also expect that TF's loan service is illegal. In fact, I can't see how it isn't

You make good points, there are many many sites I should call out.

ffssixtynine

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:43:39 AM

You make good points, there are many many sites I should call out

Sorry if it felt like I was picking on you, I just have a beef with personal attacks on people.

I feel there is a terrible two faced-ness about many people on this forum. On the one hand, there is a huge fight against regulation of any kind. On the other, you get problems or complaints genuine scammers, with Avalon delays and screw ups, Mt Gox issues or hacks, your problem with TradeFortress' offerings, and so on. People talk about going to court, or reporting problems to various authorities.

Either it is the wild west or it isn't. Either you take regulation with its good and bad points or you don't. Not all regulation is about evil governments, much of it is to protect you, the consumer.

BTW I'm not in any way defending the lengths people must go to comply or the horrendous costs in some cases (US state money transmitter licenses anyone?).

The truth is that almost the entire Bitcoin ecosystem has been operating like the Wild West and the results of this are coming to the fore. The amounts involved are now too big to ignore, the problems too significant when bad things happen.

However, we all know that the Bitcoin world couldn't have got this far by playing the same game as big banks and the SEC and dealing with AML from day 1 and so on.

The dirty truth is that most people on this forum have used a Bitcoin services which is legally grey or worse, and they take that risk because they believe in Bitcoin or they want to improve their Bitcoin holdings. It doesn't make what they did illegal, I'm just making the point.
Darktongue

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 04:28:30 AM

This is an easy fix.  I get along with TF.  Used to shoot the shit with him often on BTC-E. He's younger by far then me.  But is pretty brilliant when it comes to development. Now to be honest I don't trust anyone with my ID  I don't use PayPal anymore because I refuse to provide scanned ID. 

Also stealing passwords and such.  Yeah what's the common sence thing to do in that case.  Don't even remotely make that password even close to those that lock up what's important.

As far as ripple is concerned.. I don't support the idea that google is 100% legit.  For christ sakes they built G+ just to data mine.  They are on record saying that they really don't care if you use it or even keep it.  They have what they need.  They restrict you from commenting on other elements of googles service sphere. IE: try to make a comment on google play w/o a G+ account.  It isn't happening.

Inputs feels like ripple.  I figured that's what he's eventually going for.  I believe the source is available for it.  That was one of his major fights.  Next to the IOU exploit.

Bottom line it isn't mandatory to use his service.
posormo

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:23:25 AM

Legal grey areas aside.   He is obviously running it as an anonymous entity.   Anyone sending financial and identity documents to ANY anonymous person on the internet is just asking for trouble.  I'm not saying he is doing anything with them.  But why take the risk.   

yakuza699

Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 02:46:05 PM

Why he should be a criminal he is a good guy.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 07:45:34 PM

Looks like TF is attempting to evade regulators by pretending his site is only in Demo mode and he is not actually banking.  Of course the regulators will see right through this since he is running an illegal, unregulated, bank.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 11:12:32 AM

Looks like TF is attempting to evade regulators by pretending his site is only in Demo mode and he is not actually banking.  Of course the regulators will see right through this since he is running an illegal, unregulated, bank.

bringing up this thread again is pretty funny makes me laugh every time  Cheesy

Looks to be selling the banking software on the website,  it wasn't an illegal unregulated bank unless converting to US currency.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 11:18:23 AM

this thread is useless and just attempt to have some intention nothing else

idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 12:11:48 AM

Just report him already and claim your governmental reward.
cparsley

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:30:50 AM

I'm happy to have all kinds of discussions but lets keep this particular thread focused where it should be... on TradeFortress questionable activities and determining if those activities are breaking any laws.

Quoted from post #50... It seems this is your way to AVOID questions others ask you that you cant win...
cparsley

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:40:31 AM

Just finished reading the five pages, can I please for the love of GOD have my life back that was wasted reading his baseless whining???

Thanks in advance.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:37:44 PM

I'm happy to have all kinds of discussions but lets keep this particular thread focused where it should be... on TradeFortress questionable activities and determining if those activities are breaking any laws.

Quoted from post #50... It seems this is your way to AVOID questions others ask you that you cant win...

Whaaa?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 03:54:03 PM

Just finished reading the five pages, can I please for the love of GOD have my life back that was wasted reading his baseless whining???

Thanks in advance.

You can have your life back now.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 03:54:51 PM

OP, lock this useless thread!  Roll Eyes
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:00:42 AM

OP, lock this useless thread!  Roll Eyes

I am embarrassed that I once liked you Phineas.  Why should this thread be locked?  Trade fortress stole 1.3 million dollars, just like I warned you all he would.  Unregistered sites like his are the perfect place to steal money.  I just wish others had listened to me BEFORE he stole their money.

Sad day for the community it was that chilly November day.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:36:38 AM

so many big scams yet nobody really cares to go after the people behind them

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: