Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:59:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-12-11]More than 200,000 bitcoins seized by the Bulgarian authorities ...  (Read 3256 times)
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 12:00:37 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2017, 12:13:51 PM by iasenko

This news somehow missed the news feeds in May. Now one investigating site is trying figure out where all this bitcoins went.

Here is the news from the SELEC - Souteast European Law Enforcments Center :

On May 19, 2017, with SELEC‘ support, the Bulgarian authorities successfully finalized the joint investigation PRATKA/VIRUS in the field of cybercrime, committed by compromising the countries Customs computerized systems in order to avoid and save taxes. The organized criminal group consisted in Bulgarian nationals having connections in The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Hellenic Republic, Romania and Republic of Serbia. The modus operandi used was recruiting corrupted Customs officers in all involved countries with the purpose to infiltrate a virus in the Customs’ computerized systems. Once the virus installed, from distance, the offenders were able to finalize various transports, as in the Customs’ system appeared that the cargo was already checked and passed.

The Bulgarian authorities have searched more than 100 addresses, suspects and vehicles. A large quantity of money was seized, as well as equipment, devices for communication, computers, tablets, bank documents, etc. 23 suspects were arrested, 5 of them acting as Bulgarian Customs officers. As result of this criminal activity the damages recorded by the Customs Agency, only for year 2015, is around 10 million Leva. As well, up to now were found in the virtual space bitcoin wallets of the main suspects with a total value of 213,519 bitcoins. As a reference, the value of one bitcoin is rating to 2354 USD. The offenders choose the bitcoin way of investing/saving the money, because it is rather difficult to be tracked and followed.

The judicial procedures against the offenders are currently ongoing, eight of them being already permanently detained

Link to the Article >
http://www.selec.org/p667/29+May+2017

All of this happen before the Bitcoin Cash fork.. now they own extra 200,000+ BCH.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptoHarry

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 01:48:52 AM

More than 200k bitcoins. So, when are they going to sell that huge amount of bitcoins?
I know they are not going to hold that amount of bitcoins forever. We might get some bonuses during the auctions.
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:04:22 AM

More than 200k bitcoins. So, when are they going to sell that huge amount of bitcoins?
I know they are not going to hold that amount of bitcoins forever. We might get some bonuses during the auctions.

It would be nice if that Bitcoin can be auctioned to interested participants. I am sure a lot of buyers would be interested to jump on such an opportunity not just within the country but also adjoining territories. I am hoping that the government will use the 'free' money for programs that can help the people and strengthen the government's ability to apprehend illegal activities and criminals. This is some sort of a blessing in disguise for the government.
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 10:18:48 AM

It would be nice if that Bitcoin can be auctioned to interested participants. I am sure a lot of buyers would be interested to jump on such an opportunity not just within the country but also adjoining territories. I am hoping that the government will use the 'free' money for programs that can help the people and strengthen the government's ability to apprehend illegal activities and criminals. This is some sort of a blessing in disguise for the government.

I really doubt that, with so corrupted government all the bitcoins are long gone, shared between some specific people. Now some investigating journalists are after the bitcoins but i really doubt it that they will find something. It's not the first time so big amount disappear, a few years ago happen the same thing with Corporate Commercial Bank AD,  3.5 billion leva, around 1.7 billion Euro just disappeared in one night in 2014 and till now no one  is accused.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: