Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:49:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting into ICOs.  (Read 435 times)
Silver79 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 10:54:33 AM

I’ve been investing in the exchanges for a while now. And, I wabnt to get my feet wet in ICO investing. My plan is to start investing in 1 ICO every 2 weeks starting January of next year. So, with that said, I am gonna start small and only invest maybe $200 max per ICO (mostly from the interest gained with my other investments in Crypto; I am gonna try to avoid paying out of pocket as much as possible initially until I have more experience).

With that said, I am not quite sure where to start. Usually, I invest in coins trading in the cents on exchanges based on the folkowing criteria:
- purpose: Why does the coin exist?)
- White paper: What’s the plan and vision for this coin?)
- Team: Who are the guys behind it? What’s theircexpertise?
- Roadmap: Wgat’s the roadmap for this coin?
- Community: does the coin have a decent community?
- Do I understand it: Do I understand what I am investing in?

Pretty standard stuff, I know. But what do I have to look at when deciding whether to invest in an ICO (that I didn’t mention)?

Thanks for the info Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3838

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 12:43:31 PM

You pretty much got your criteria spot on.

Just to add, on your "team" criteria, also take into consideration if the team members are actually real people or just random names and random faces added on to the coin's website.

Also:
 - How active the devs are: Check their GitHub repository and take a look at the "commits". It's probably been months since they updated the code.
 - Percentage of coins the devs hold: On some coins, the devs actually hold a huge percentage of the overall coins(sometimes even more than 70% of the total supply. yep). I'm looking at you, Gnosis

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tony_for_president

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:37:49 PM

+1 on checking the team out. Do they really exist?
If the project has a website check how long that site exists.
A big red warning sign for me are price predictions posted on their site.
You could also try to search their whitepaper to see if they just copied anotherone (recently happened with Apoub and RegalCoin).
starkan

Activity: 52

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:13:48 PM

+1 on checking the team out. Do they really exist?
If the project has a website check how long that site exists.
A big red warning sign for me are price predictions posted on their site.
You could also try to search their whitepaper to see if they just copied anotherone (recently happened with Apoub and RegalCoin).

Can you use copyscape to verify if the white paper was plagiarized?
apvmoreira

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:18:18 PM

There are some ranking websites that you should look at and study how to they get the best ratings. Cross information and see those that appear more in the top spots.

You should also consider only ICOS that have lending. This will be the ones that in average will guarantee the bigger raises in coin/token values.

Finally, pray to get an order. IN the past 2 days, i've always been out ordered in a matter of seconds.

CryspRayz

Activity: 84
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:38:17 PM

There are some ranking websites that you should look at and study how to they get the best ratings. Cross information and see those that appear more in the top spots.

You should also consider only ICOS that have lending. This will be the ones that in average will guarantee the bigger raises in coin/token values.

Finally, pray to get an order. IN the past 2 days, i've always been out ordered in a matter of seconds.

I think most of the lending will turn out to be a scam in the end. returns they offer are unsustainable, once the money flow has ended, they gotta go
Silver79 (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:33:31 AM

Kind of a noob question, but what do you mean by coins having lending?  Like, I lend them coins for an interest?

And good catch. Will definitely keep this in mind.
the_observer

Activity: 393
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 07:53:51 AM

Kind of a noob question, but what do you mean by coins having lending?  Like, I lend them coins for an interest?

And good catch. Will definitely keep this in mind.
Yes this is a good question i have it too. Can someone give a heads up ?
uberproteam
Copper Member

Activity: 60

Decentralized Freelancer Community

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 08:01:43 AM

Check team, check vision of project, hope for the best

the_observer

Activity: 393
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 08:25:17 AM

I would like to add that i also watch the ico's proposed buy respectable youtubers.

Keep in mind though that there are many paid presentations so an ico become more known
Cryptoryx

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 08:37:39 AM

I would start with the whitepaper and read it thoroughly. Besides that, look at the team, get into their TG group, see if the general idea of that particular ICO gets you.

matjazsircelj

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:40:43 AM

Team and their business experience. If they're in the business for a few months and call themselves experts, probably not a good idea.
Community engagement on social channels, are they active, is the team active?
The vision of the product they're developring and the roadmap.
Patents, if existing, pilot projects, technology explained.

Hope it helps.

pipoy5

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:48:25 AM

I think most of the lending will turn out to be a scam in the end. returns they offer are unsustainable, once the money flow has ended, they gotta go

I agree. My friend once told me to invest in a lending ico but they run away with my btc not withdraw. Even if they have good investor relations if the team will really scam you in the first place you can't do something about it
Trigzilog

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:49:45 AM

Do we have a recommended site for ICOs that is very reliable because any token can pay to have a positive reviews?
tungaw

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:51:06 AM

I'm scared to invest in ICOs since even big and popular ones are scam in the end. Either they manage poorly or really intended to be one.
heartrodriguez28

Activity: 81

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:02:07 PM

I'm scared to invest in ICOs since even big and popular ones are scam in the end. Either they manage poorly or really intended to be one.

Better to do research first, yes some of the new ICOs are scams but not all of them. I think you need to examine first if they have a fully structured white paper.
Muyiorben

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:12:00 PM

There are so many icos and I'm confused which to participate. Who can recommend some good icos and Airdrops for me?
heartrodriguez28

Activity: 81

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:54:17 PM

There are so many icos and I'm confused which to participate. Who can recommend some good icos and Airdrops for me?

Do some research first, take a look at their white paper there are many ICO's turned out to be a scam. See to it that it is structured well. Airdrops I think is not reliable way to earn, since your not sure whether they will have a value to the market at the end of their ICO.
Clos Belmont ICO

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 04:16:27 PM

Check team, check vision of project, hope for the best

Totally agree! Also may check linkedin accounts of team and read information about them carefully!
Clos Belmont ICO

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 04:39:32 PM

I would like to add that i also watch the ico's proposed buy respectable youtubers.

Keep in mind though that there are many paid presentations so an ico become more known

Whom do you mean by "respectable youtubers" ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: