Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:01:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigabyte GPU  (Read 5376 times)
AstroBoy

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:05:08 AM

I'll just add my 2 cents:

My Gigabyte 7970 is currently in RMA with status "repairing".  I'd been mining both bitcoin and litecoin.  I'd just started mining Litecoin and was tuning cgminer when I realized that my HW error rate was really high.

I tested the card with memtestCL and found that my card failed the 'random blocks' test in a major way (over 672,000 incorrect bits).  Took a screenshot and sent it in with my RMA request.  Gigabyte service has been great so far.

The card did overheat a few times while I was using it and after examining it when it failed there was some discoloration on the VRM heatsink rear strap suggesting extreme heat in that area.

I'll be much more careful when I get the card back.  I've already picked up risers and after reading this thread I've ordered some cheap heatsinks off ebay.

Thanks guys!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:11:10 AM

But you are right, from a design stand point, they are very flawed. 

To be fair, miners are running the cards way above what they were ever designed for.  99% of people buying those cards maybe play a game an few hours a day, which isn't as hard on the VRMs as mining LTC. 

Mining LTC on a GPU is like driving your car up a very steep hill at maximum revs constantly for 24 hours.  It'll do it for a certain amount of time, then the engine will pop.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:26:57 PM

But you are right, from a design stand point, they are very flawed. 

To be fair, miners are running the cards way above what they were ever designed for.  99% of people buying those cards maybe play a game an few hours a day, which isn't as hard on the VRMs as mining LTC. 

Mining LTC on a GPU is like driving your car up a very steep hill at maximum revs constantly for 24 hours.  It'll do it for a certain amount of time, then the engine will pop.
When I bought my 7970 GHz edition almost a year ago, it was $450! It was one of the best video cards you could buy at the time. I've also been careful to give it good airflow, watch the temps, and clean it regularly.

In you're car analogy, this isn't just your mom's Toyota Camry running up hill 24/7. This is a Nascar Toyota Camry. See the difference? It should be able to handle the load.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:34:43 PM

You're crazy psychotic running your cards at 90°C

Use cgwatcher..........................
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:57:04 PM

to fix this problem: stop mining in the summer and go out and fuck some chicks instead

autumn/winter are for mining
griffga

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 06:39:12 PM

I have 4 rigs and started out with 16 cards total. I lost 5 due to this exact issue and needed to RMA. The cards do have design issues as they cannot take running 24/7. All of the cards have failed in the exact same way. I am using the F43 bios which allows lower voltage for the Gigabyte cards. Also, all cards were running stock. Literally not setting any options except intensity and thread concurrency. A few months of straight mining and they kick the bucket...
peonminer

Crypto is King.

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:26:04 PM

I have 4 rigs and started out with 16 cards total. I lost 5 due to this exact issue and needed to RMA. The cards do have design issues as they cannot take running 24/7. All of the cards have failed in the exact same way. I am using the F43 bios which allows lower voltage for the Gigabyte cards. Also, all cards were running stock. Literally not setting any options except intensity and thread concurrency. A few months of straight mining and they kick the bucket...
wrong again use robnitro's hacked bios.... w cgwatcher.... w powered risers....

otherwise = PHAIL
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:58:35 PM

Well yes this happens alot with gigabyte stuff
I have had 4 different gigabyte nvidia based videocards blow up in similar ways
They never took responsibility on all these items.
Also had a very expenssive motherboard which was failing alot
I did an rma and got the board back with the message that it was fixed but the same problems kept appearing.
They simply messaged i was wrong and never anwered any follow up mails.
When it finally completely died we found what really was wrong by accident.
Some friend wanted for his same type motherboard the cool blocks from the chipset when we took it off we found the main chip was almost completely covered in melted metal.
Hence that was the weird problems i had all the time.
The last issue i have had was a amd card which suddenly failed and guess what gigabyte also never wanted to replaced it, well not when it
was under warranty they dare to ask him to buy a new instead with 30 euro off ........

So i am staying away from gigabyte products, and keep super long distances since all this fiasco's happen.
Worst is this company never cares at all.
In my opinion they may go bancrupt tommorow

griffga

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:10:33 PM

otherwise = PHAIL

Do you have the link to this BIOS? I am using powered risers and the cards themselves never go over 80C as reported by cgminer. What features does cgwatcher provide over cgminer for temperature protection? I know that cgminer already has overheat protection. The cards have all failed while running within temperature limits. It's always the chips on the back of the card that fail. The main processors and everything under the heat sinks are fine.
nyana

Activity: 81

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 10:50:14 AM

got 10x 7950 Gigabyte.

3 of them with exploded VRM. STOCK CLOCKS!! even slightly underclock/volted!!

Bios F43 with 1,09v Core (i dont know memvoltage)

LTC Mining
peonminer

Crypto is King.

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 06:15:45 PM

otherwise = PHAIL

Do you have the link to this BIOS? I am using powered risers and the cards themselves never go over 80C as reported by cgminer. What features does cgwatcher provide over cgminer for temperature protection? I know that cgminer already has overheat protection. The cards have all failed while running within temperature limits. It's always the chips on the back of the card that fail. The main processors and everything under the heat sinks are fine.
Searching for BIOS now.... so easy to flash, don't worry. As for CGWatcher... it will automatically change the intensity to your liking for when it overheats. You specify the values. You can set timed profiles. It automatically restarts for all kinds of issues. Dead cards/No accepted shares in X time, Speed falls below XXXX MH/s, etc. It's a must have especially if you have more than one card or rig.

I WAS GETTIN' SUM BIOS, GETTIN' GETTIN' SUM BIOS! Use the FY1 BIOS if you have Rev. 2 cards. If you go to flash in DOS and you get a locked error, google it. You have to command line unlock them suckers.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313813/new-bios-update-for-gigabyte-hd7950/720
http://www.overclock.net/attachments/13654
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: