Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:30:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-07-16 Will bitcoin ever be used for gas pumps, parking meters and pool.  (Read 654 times)
patricktim (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 02:19:00 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/will-bitcoin-ever-be-used-for-gas-pumps-parking-meters-and-pool-tables/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 04:13:02 PM

I hope so. Smiley

from the article:

“People need to be comfortable having a small stash of bitcoins. What this is kind of fits that mould,” he says of the Bitwasher project. “Everyone should walk around with 1-2 bitcoins that they can use for small transactions only. If enough people are doing that, then the volality of currency goes down and the value of the currency increases.”

The article seems to be more about the logistics of how we can get to a point of handling smaller transactions.  I agree it could be useful but we still have a long way to go.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 03:21:32 AM

“People need to be comfortable having a small stash of bitcoins. What this is kind of fits that mould,” he says of the Bitwasher project. “Everyone should walk around with 1-2 bitcoins that they can use for small transactions only. If enough people are doing that, then the volality of currency goes down and the value of the currency increases. speculators will get super excited.”

The value has a long way to go and it isn't going to be smooth. I mean what would happen if it was smoothly going up? People would get ahead of it of course.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 11:54:57 AM

I agree with FreeMoney.  I don't see why the volatility of the price goes away because a bunch of people have small balances.  The "volatility" is caused by a small number of trades on exchanges being used as "the price" of a bitcoin. 

If more people have bitcoins, there are less on the exchanges for trading.  It doesn't have to mean up, down or sideways for price volatility; however, I'm sure increased adoption would increase the price due to scarcity.

I like this guy.  He has the time, energy & business model to act on everything I wish I could.  I hope that he has success, because I've been dreaming about implementing bitcoin everywhere for the past couple years.

I will gladly try to sell his devices.  I'm not concerned about too many transactions on the chain.  If this is truely a problem, it will just speed up the parsing options to be implemented, right?

Perhaps, we should test that theory out & get I0coins back up & running!

Bitpay accepts zero confirmation transactions & has not received a reversal in over thousands & thousands of transactions!

Of course, the more you flaunt it, the higher the chances of getting attacked.  We'll need to be ready for this, but currently Bitpay has no problem taking on that risk at this time.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 01:25:49 PM

I hope so. Smiley

from the article:

“People need to be comfortable having a small stash of bitcoins. What this is kind of fits that mould,” he says of the Bitwasher project. “Everyone should walk around with 1-2 bitcoins that they can use for small transactions only. If enough people are doing that, then the volality of currency goes down and the value of the currency increases.”

The article seems to be more about the logistics of how we can get to a point of handling smaller transactions.  I agree it could be useful but we still have a long way to go.

I don't think he has thought through his own example. First, one or two BTC is about one or two hundred bucks in fiat at the moment, possibly much more in future - a lot of money for most people to walk around with for small transactions, especially from a global perspective. It's as though he imagines a BTC to be a physical coin worth about a dime or a quarter. Secondly, for his vision to be true some day - 21 million BTC would somehow have to be shared as walking-around money by some 7 billion people, giving each person about 0.007 BTC, I think, with none left over for other purposes.

Interesting concept, unfortunate example. Perhaps Satoshis would work out better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: