Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:37:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RX 580 4Gb vs 8Gb  (Read 743 times)
condemor (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:01:22 PM

Hello everybody. I have a Sapphire RX 580 4Gb, with modded BIOS (including memory timings) and overclocked until instability (1050/2020). It run under windows 10 with mining drivers, and Im having arround 25,5 Mh/s. I tried a lot of things trying to reach the "oficial" 30Mh/s that these cards are supposed to make. I even change my card for another one, but the hashes remain the same. After reading the experiences of several people with my same card and same hashes, i realized that 25 Mh/s are pretty OK for this card.

Now im thinking about building a dedicated mining rig with six Sapphire RX 580, and i wonder if the 8Gb version will reach more easily these "oficial" 30Mh/s

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fapar

Activity: 1414
Merit: 267

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:21:11 PM

Hello everybody. I have a Sapphire RX 580 4Gb, with modded BIOS (including memory timings) and overclocked until instability (1050/2020). It run under windows 10 with mining drivers, and Im having arround 25,5 Mh/s. I tried a lot of things trying to reach the "oficial" 30Mh/s that these cards are supposed to make. I even change my card for another one, but the hashes remain the same. After reading the experiences of several people with my same card and same hashes, i realized that 25 Mh/s are pretty OK for this card.

Now im thinking about building a dedicated mining rig with six Sapphire RX 580, and i wonder if the 8Gb version will reach more easily these "oficial" 30Mh/s

Higher hashrate depends on the memory manufacturer. Samsung best of all, Hynix/Elpida worse, Micron very bad. A good memory can keep the frequency of 2100+ which has a positive impact on hashrate.
When choosing a card should be based on the memory manufacturer.
This is not a guarantee of high hashrate, but as close as possible to him.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
soldiereduar

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:25:19 PM

hola soy español yo le puedo decir que tengo dos rx nitro + oc 4gb memoria elpida 30.4 haora mismo sin errores Grin
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:39:52 PM

I work RX580 4GB and 8GB RX580 keeps the same speed of 30 Mh. You have to be the same. I think you have a problem with the settings. 25-26 Mh RX580 give without any upgrades of BIOS. If you do not get to customize a BIOS you can try to find in the Internet settings.
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 07:49:06 PM

Higher is always better. Also not to forget that DAG size will continue to increase which means 4GB cards will not be able to mine ethereum after a certain period, for memory I heard Hynix is the most common and average performer.
Omg9500

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 09:46:44 PM

My sapphire RX580 8GB out of the box gave around 24 mh/s and after bios mod and afterburner settings around 31. This is with hynix memory.  a colleague is using the 4 GB variant and he says he got approx 30 per card. So not a big difference although I can't prove it. Maybe look for a BIOS mod for your card here? https://anorak.tech/
rh154c0d3

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:42:27 AM

finally i found 4gb vs 8gb cards. so the conclusion is 4gb card and 8gb card will have same performance in hashrate, and that's the answer why most of miners have 4gb cards because its cheaper and they give us the same hashrate. nice thread, thank you for all members here in this thread. one important question disappear now from my head  Grin
Andrene

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 08:04:59 AM

Sapphire Nitro + 4gb around 31mh in dual with Dcr (around 3000)
Elpida memory
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:22:27 PM

Higher hashrate depends on the memory manufacturer. Samsung best of all, Hynix/Elpida worse, Micron very bad. A good memory can keep the frequency of 2100+ which has a positive impact on hashrate.

micron is not "very bad" but up there with samsung, the best

Higher is always better. Also not to forget that DAG size will continue to increase which means 4GB cards will not be able to mine ethereum after a certain period, for memory I heard Hynix is the most common and average performer.

Yes, sadly 4GB will stop hashing ETH in april, 2021...but somehow, I think both 4 and 8GB versions will be obsolete by then, anyway
rh154c0d3

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:44:10 PM

Yes, sadly 4GB will stop hashing ETH in april, 2021...but somehow, I think both 4 and 8GB versions will be obsolete by then, anyway
Well, there is no problem then if we use 4GB version till 2021, because we have money a lot twice bigger than if we use 8GB version in 2021.  Cheesy
clems

Activity: 171
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 07:35:29 PM

micron is not "very bad" but up there with samsung, the best

Saphir Nitro + RX580 8G Micron 31.4 Mh/s in HiveOS.
Saphir Nitro + RX580 8G Hynix 30.7 Mh/s in HiveOS.
Saphir Nitro + RX580 8G Samsung 30.5 Mh/s in HiveOS.

On Windows you have to add ~0,5 Mh/s on my result.

all around 100W. Try different timing from Uber Mix on Samsung and no chance at all.

It looks like new Samsung on RX 580 are not the best anymore.

Ref HiveOS https://hiveos.farm?ref=3665
Promocode HIVEOS: IMPASSENET (10 dollars on your account)
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 08:18:17 PM

Saphir Nitro + RX580 8G Micron 31.4 Mh/s in HiveOS.
Saphir Nitro + RX580 8G Hynix 30.7 Mh/s in HiveOS.
Saphir Nitro + RX580 8G Samsung 30.5 Mh/s in HiveOS.

On Windows you have to add ~0,5 Mh/s on my result.

all around 100W. Try different timing from Uber Mix on Samsung and no chance at all.

It looks like new Samsung on RX 580 are not the best anymore.

I tried micron, elpida and hynix and micron worked the best for me...don't have card with samsung,
so I took the word from internet about it performing well
Flight-87

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:31:34 PM

I wish I had a  samsung memory. My card has Elpida memory and goes over 2100+, so not bad either.
Flight-87

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:07:08 PM

..DAG size will continue to increase which means 4GB cards will not be able to mine ethereum after a certain period..

Is that really true? I mean the ETH DAG is bigger than 2GB now but I never felt that! Here are 2 case studies:

1. Seven months back I was new to mining ETH so I started with MinerGate as it was the easiest to start with. At the first day of my mining I noticed that after a full night (around 7 hours) of mining I spent only around 50 MB of data! Yeah, the mining started and I earned some ETH too! So clearly I mined without even downloading the full DAG. (Maybe a DAG Epoch?)
Interestingly enough, I even mined eth with MG on my laptop that has maybe 256 MB of graphics card or less when the DAG was around 2GB!! How was that possible?

2. Same thing happened when a month later I first started to mine with Claymore on Nanopool. Just few MB used per day. Till date I use Claymore on NP 24/7 and never seen the miner to download the full DAG.

So do we really need a card with memory size bigger than that of the DAG?
I guess that might be true with solo mining which I didn't waste my time trying. Enlighten me... Smiley
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:35:08 PM

..DAG size will continue to increase which means 4GB cards will not be able to mine ethereum after a certain period..

Is that really true? I mean the ETH DAG is bigger than 2GB now but I never felt that! Here are 2 case studies:

1. Seven months back I was new to mining ETH so I started with MinerGate as it was the easiest to start with. At the first day of my mining I noticed that after a full night (around 7 hours) of mining I spent only around 50 MB of data! Yeah, the mining started and I earned some ETH too! So clearly I mined without even downloading the full DAG. (Maybe a DAG Epoch?)
Interestingly enough, I even mined eth with MG on my laptop that has maybe 256 MB of graphics card or less when the DAG was around 2GB!! How was that possible?

2. Same thing happened when a month later I first started to mine with Claymore on Nanopool. Just few MB used per day. Till date I use Claymore on NP 24/7 and never seen the miner to download the full DAG.

I guess that might be true with solo mining which I didn't waste my time trying. Enlighten me... Smiley

The DAG size wont exceed 4GB til mid to late 2020 or early 2021. By the time that comes around there will be more efficient/better cards to mine Ethereum so personally my opinion is if you are buying the cards just to mine ETH buy the cheapest 4GB 580's you can find.
Pekine

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:07:45 PM

My Sapphire Nitro RX 580 - 8 GB runs at 32 Mh/s. MSI RX 580 - 8 GB runs at 30Mh/s. I had some issues with getting them up as well in the beginning. It was due to a bug int my AMD drivers. I uninstalled them with DDU and installed the last blockchain drivers.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:22:47 PM

Dont worry about this. It will be YEARS before 4gb limit is reached, long after these cards become useless paperweights.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:24:31 PM

They're nearly identical in mining performance. Whatever you can get cheaper is best; the DAG size thing has already been explained. Even 3GB 1060s are still capable of mining ETH, though they're not the fastest for doing so.
Flight-87

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:57:49 AM

The DAG size wont exceed 4GB til mid to late 2020 or early 2021. By the time that comes around there will be more efficient/better cards to mine Ethereum so personally my opinion is if you are buying the cards just to mine ETH buy the cheapest 4GB 580's you can find.

Usually higher memory gives better hashrate. However, what I was trying to say is it is possible to mine ether with cards that has 1 GB or even less memory size regardless of how big is the DAG.
micro_m

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 12:32:10 PM

1. Win10 does not require any special mining drivers. Just download new from site.
2. You have to turn on compute in drivers option.
3. You have to use rigth command in bat file, for solo mining. -asm 2 parameter is required for Claymoor's miner.
4. GPU freq. must be 1150-1200 mhz, memory 2k+ (depends on memory manufacturer)
I have 29.6 mh/s from my RX574 (1174/2020).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: