Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:43:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: split up transactions by default  (Read 666 times)
2weiX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 01:41:20 PM

had this happen last week:

- receive 50 btc
- send 10 btc
- send 10 btc
- send 10 btc
- send 10 btc
- send 0.0123449 btc (yay beer)
-- > 9 BTC as "change" in limbo since no confirmation for >20 minutes

leaving me with 0.x BTC in my wallet to spend / sell for "ages".

I have two possible solutions:

a) reduce changeback amount to 1% of remaining balance wallet
b) offer a possibility to send 50 BTC as 100x0.5 BTC so they're not all considered the same input for changeback purposes.

I hope I am making sense.

cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:00:29 PM

I don't understand what you mean.

b) offer a possibility to send 50 BTC as 100x0.5 BTC so they're not all considered the same input for changeback purposes.

You can do this if you want.

• Start with empty wallet
  • Receive 50 BTC
  • Create 50 new receiving addresses in wallet.
  • Create single transaction that sends 0.5 BTC to each address
  • Wait for confirmation

Now you have 100 possible 0.5 BTC inputs.
2weiX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:29:57 PM

I don't understand what you mean.

You can do this if you want.

• Start with empty wallet
  • Receive 50 BTC
  • Create 50 new receiving addresses in wallet.
  • Create single transaction that sends 0.5 BTC to each address
  • Wait for confirmation

Now you have 100 possible 0.5 BTC inputs.

hurr durr...
just tried it with a single address... it's not possible to use 100x0.5 and send them to the same address. too bad.
your approach is doable, except for mobile wallets.

mebbe this could be a service. of course, trx costs factor in - but when receiving 100 BTC, splitting them in 10x10 would already suffice, I guess.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:40:31 PM

hurr durr...
just tried it with a single address... it's not possible to use 100x0.5 and send them to the same address. too bad.

mebbe this could be a service. of course, trx costs factor in - but when receiving 100 BTC, splitting them in 10x10 would already suffice, I guess.

It can be done with a single address, but it isn't easy to do.  There aren't any wallets that I'm aware of that have an easy to use user interface for sending multiple outputs to the same address.

I'd be willing to try doing it for you for free (gratuities are always appreciated) if you trust me with your bitcoins, if for no other reason than the fact that it would be an interesting thing to try out.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you a bitcoin address to fund.

Then when I get the bitcoins, I'll split them up into 0.5 BTC outputs and send them all back to you separately. If I can't figure out how to send them back in separate outputs, I'll send them all back in a single output (I'll even toss in 0.0001 BTC of my own to cover the transaction fee when sending back).

The biggest issue I can think of with the splitting is that if there are enough outputs it could exceed 10 kilobytes. Then the transaction might need some additional fees to get relayed/confirmed.
2weiX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:01:32 PM

hurr durr...

It can be done with a single address, but it isn't easy to do.  There aren't any wallets that I'm aware of that have an easy to use user interface for sending multiple outputs to the same address.

I'd be willing to try doing it for you for free (gratuities are always appreciated) if you trust me with your bitcoins, if for no other reason than the fact that it would be an interesting thing to try out.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you a bitcoin address to fund.

Then when I get the bitcoins, I'll split them up into 0.5 BTC outputs and send them all back to you separately. If I can't figure out how to send them back in separate outputs, I'll send them all back in a single output (I'll even toss in 0.0001 BTC of my own to cover the transaction fee when sending back).

The biggest issue I can think of with the splitting is that if there are enough outputs it could exceed 10 kilobytes. Then the transaction might need some additional fees to get relayed/confirmed.

I don't have any BTC right now, I'll probably just ask whoever sends me the BTC to send in however many tranches.
But, given the resources, a web service like this, charging a willy-nilly amount of BTC, COULD work.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:40:53 PM

This is actually a very valid concern.

The solution DannyHamilton kindly offered is a bit tedious, and should be automated for everyday users, or another fix found.
Multiplying addresses, and dispatching coins over using just a wallet "Spread coin" button, is acceptable, but exposes the people that chooses not to use this feature to a greater collision risk.

Ideas that came to mind were at first:
- Have a credit balance in the pubs you often go to. But that means you cannot use the coins, would any urgent need arise.
- Pay for your 17 beers, one shot, before crawling back home. But that implies being able to pay at that point, and the bartender to trust you.

Finally, another idea poped up, which is so far my favorite:
- Once people progressively adopt bitcoins, we'll have a lot of addresses filled with various unspent outputs, and this won't really be an issue anymore.

I still think it is not 100% satisfactory, and would love if someone came up with a technical idea to fix this potential issue.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: