Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:09:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi Dice Buy out: 126,315 BTC! Payout to be released to share holders!  (Read 9008 times)
kingcrimson
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:17:59 PM

We're in the speculation thread and noone claimed Satoshi to be the buyer? For him the price must be a peanut, and as long he's not able to cash out his heavy btc-amount without disturbing the system, the bought of SD must be the funniest thing to do with it.

I can't wait to hear who's the buyer! But maybe we will never know ...

All my hopes are going to Sid Mayer or Boris Becker.

I think it is more likely EV bought it off himself to get rid of the shareholders burden. It was probably nothing but a headache. So he was able to borrow their capital and give them a little pittance, then return it. Cheap loan. Win win.
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:21:17 PM

We're in the speculation thread and noone claimed Satoshi to be the buyer? For him the price must be a peanut, and as long he's not able to cash out his heavy btc-amount without disturbing the system, the bought of SD must be the funniest thing to do with it.

I can't wait to hear who's the buyer! But maybe we will never know ...

All my hopes are going to Sid Mayer or Boris Becker.

I think it is more likely EV bought it off himself to get rid of the shareholders burden. It was probably nothing but a headache. So he was able to borrow their capital and give them a little pittance, then return it. Cheap loan. Win win.

OK, even if thats true, how large was his share in the shares (get it?) and have any share holders been payed yet?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:37:06 PM

who is the buyer!!!!  Huh

Turns out it was MtGox!

Heres the Press Release:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=258649.0

/facepalm
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:59:38 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2013, 08:16:29 PM by Chalkbot

Is anyone here a shareholder?

I am (was) a shareholder.

OK, even if thats true, how large was his share in the shares (get it?) and have any share holders been payed yet?

All MPEX shareholders have been paid, as of around 7:30pm (PST) or so last night. Pass-through fund holders, such as those through Havelock, received their payments around 30-45 minutes later, with the exception of those who held SDICE through bitfunder, who won't receive theirs until the 28th, due to DeadTerra being on vacation.

Someone correct me if I got any of that wrong.

Edit: Just to clarify, yes I received BTC from the shares I held, so I can verify that payment was actually made (not just an announcement).
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:58:11 AM

I held shares via coinbr and I've received my funds.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 07:18:37 AM

this has to be the biggest BTC denominated deal ever

this is a big milestone, kinda like the 10K BTC pizza

( I got a nice BTC payout form this deal, I was holding a few shares... I actually wish i could've held these shares for longer but i can complain! good deal Cheesy )

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 12:46:27 PM

My question is, who would bother to buy SD in it's current state? With the MUCH superior clones being released (J-D for sure), SD is starting to fail. Sure, it might be established as an old gambling site, but I wouldn't think that it's a very good investment. Does it bring in profit? Yeah, but not forever.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 12:58:48 PM

From an investor's point of view I do not think it is very reasonable to use the BTC as numeraire due to its lack of capital pools and incredible volatility. Pretty much anyone who bought between April 2012 and March 2013 who have held for the long-term have had tremendous returns using the USD as numeraire.
Utter nonsense.
You pay in BTC, you get BTC as dividends, you get BTC for liquidation... USD isn't part of the equation.

If BTC price appreciated over USD, you would have got the same returns just holding BTC.

So you must compare "just holding BTC" with "holding BTC denominated assets".

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 12:59:21 PM

My question is, who would bother to buy SD in it's current state? With the MUCH superior clones being released (J-D for sure), SD is starting to fail. Sure, it might be established as an old gambling site, but I wouldn't think that it's a very good investment. Does it bring in profit? Yeah, but not forever.
I'm puzzled as well.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 01:49:25 PM

From an investor's point of view I do not think it is very reasonable to use the BTC as numeraire due to its lack of capital pools and incredible volatility. Pretty much anyone who bought between April 2012 and March 2013 who have held for the long-term have had tremendous returns using the USD as numeraire.
Utter nonsense.
You pay in BTC, you get BTC as dividends, you get BTC for liquidation... USD isn't part of the equation.

If BTC price appreciated over USD, you would have got the same returns just holding BTC.

So you must compare "just holding BTC" with "holding BTC denominated assets".

This.

That's pretty much the bottom line.
kingcrimson
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:31:15 PM

I'm puzzled as well.

It is getting more and more apparent to me he sold it to himself, there is just no logic in paying $12 mill for that site.
MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:41:05 PM

Probably to his company somewhere else...
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 09:03:34 PM

hey I'm not telling   Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: