Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:20:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is that a right way to hold the PSU on rig?  (Read 497 times)
rizabbasi (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 08:20:56 PM

Hi,

Just want to know if its a right practice to fix brackets on PSU sides as in image. I have put two more brackets on the opposite side of the PSU. Here is the picture:

I have wrapped white electrical tape on the aluminium brackets in order avoid scratches on PSU.

Related question: Does PSU gets that hot that it can melt the electrical tape?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Rizwan

Shipping beats perfection. So "ship" and then improve (that 1%).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alienmoney

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 08:31:42 PM

brackets are good, the psu doesn't that hot like melt the tape.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 08:35:33 PM

It depends on how much load you put to the PSU however Corsair is my favorite brand when it comes to PSU-s, I have different 5 -GPU rigs that are all powered by Corsair RM1000i and are running from January , almost 1 year now without problems. However if you load your PSU to the max and put it in a place where there is lots of heat there is a small chance that it can become really hot but I don't know if it will become as hot as to melt the electrical tape. So I guess you are good to go.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
emoji00

Activity: 168
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:09:06 PM

Hi,

Just want to know if its a right practice to fix brackets on PSU sides as in image. I have put two more brackets on the opposite side of the PSU. Here is the picture:

I have wrapped white electrical tape on the aluminium brackets in order avoid scratches on PSU.

Regards,

Rizwan

Just make sure the ventilation is efffective.
OLDARH

Activity: 308
Merit: 101

-YAHOO_EU-

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:18:05 PM

If I were in your place, I would worry about using wood in the construction. From the elevated temperature it will become very dry and can ignite in case of unsuccessful confluence of circumstances.
Chan8

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:24:08 PM

That is fine. Putting brackets there to hold the psu in place. I dont see any issues with that at all. I have some my psu sideways, or held in place by acouple of wood also. They dont get that hot really, or atleast hot enough to melt anything.  Damn you can hang them upside down or hanging off zip ties. Probably wouldnt be an issue also.
Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:36:28 PM

If I were in your place, I would worry about using wood in the construction. From the elevated temperature it will become very dry and can ignite in case of unsuccessful confluence of circumstances.
The ignition temperature of wood 160-170 degrees Celsius. If anything in the rig warms up above 100 degrees it will destroy the tower faster than you can light up the tree. I have 5 rigs and all I made the frame out of wood. They work for over 2 years and no problems. It seems to me that you need to follow in order next to the tower was not flammable objects.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
orcvoin

Activity: 213

TdhNBDpg4EnTzLVe41WsGJECP7qc3uENdS

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:42:10 PM

It's a good idea to fix the power supplies in this way, I'll take a note. As for heating, from the personal experience, good blocks are slightly warm only in the lower part under the power elements. Of course, the heating of the unit depends on the load and ventilation in the room, but it is impossible to burn the adjacent tape that way.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:09:49 AM

I would drill holes in those brackets, put them on the END of the power supply, and screw the PS into the bracket for a SOLID "hold it in place" - optimally with a small air space between the PS and the wood, as some PS DO get pretty hot on that side.

I NORMALLY mount my PS on their sides though, for space reasons.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
rizabbasi (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 06:11:56 AM

I would drill holes in those brackets, put them on the END of the power supply, and screw the PS into the bracket for a SOLID "hold it in place" - optimally with a small air space between the PS and the wood, as some PS DO get pretty hot on that side.

I NORMALLY mount my PS on their sides though, for space reasons.

I thought on placing sideways but is in doubt if that position would be of any harm for the PSU [my first ever time in assembling the hardware!  Smiley]

If community suggests that its all okay for sideways then my ideal choice would be sideways.. My PSU is Corsair HX1200i.

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 06:23:02 AM

Your bracket is good use wood. A Corsair have features: Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection, over power protection, over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:35:10 AM

Power supplies don't CARE what orientation you put them in - the only component in a PC that USED to care was hard drives, MANY years back, but they eventually went to "balanced actuator" designs for speed of access reasons that also made them pretty much immune to orientation issues.

If you look at cases, "mounted with one side up" isn't real common but certainly isn't unknown in towers, is VERY common in desktop cases, and is THE NORM in 3u and 4u rack mount cases.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 08:55:20 AM

Hi,

Regards,

Rizwan

I would avoid that plastic wrap. Just put some small foam pads between your PSU and bracket if you care about scratches.

Also, don't forget that your PSU cools itself by sucking the air from underneath. Your wood pieces are blocking a rather big chunck of the air intake...
rizabbasi (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 02:29:06 PM

Hi,

Regards,

Rizwan

I would avoid that plastic wrap. Just put some small foam pads between your PSU and bracket if you care about scratches.

Also, don't forget that your PSU cools itself by sucking the air from underneath. Your wood pieces are blocking a rather big chunck of the air intake...

Hi,

If you are referring plastic wrap around the PSU then its just a temporary thing. I have wrapped electrical tape around brackets to avoid the scratches on PSU.

OK, I can raise the PSU level 1 1/2" to 2" by using these blocks:

Thanks and regards,

Rizwan

rizabbasi (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:29:55 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2017, 07:43:26 AM by rizabbasi

Hi,

Regards,

Rizwan

Hi,

If you are referring plastic wrap around the PSU then its just a temporary thing. I have wrapped electrical tape around brackets to avoid the scratches on PSU.

Thanks and regards,

Rizwan

I checked the PSU, there is no air intake (i.e. no holes, the surface is plain) from the bottom side. So I guess its OK to guess place fan facing up.

One thing needs to be cleared: Does fan throws hot/warm air? Reason for asking is that the GPUs would be just above the PSU.

btcneodev

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 08:14:45 AM

Brackets to hold PSU is a good idea, as long as you did not block the air in and air out, then it is fine.
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:26:24 AM

Hi,

Regards,

Rizwan

Hi,

Thanks and regards,

Rizwan

I checked the PSU, there is no air intake (i.e. no holes, the surface is plain) from the bottom side. So I guess its OK to guess place fan facing up.

One thing needs to be cleared: Does fan throws hot/warm air? Reason for asking is that the GPUs would be just above the PSU.

The fan sucks the air into the PSU, this is the bottom side. The grill with the power connector allows the hot air to go out.
rizabbasi (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:39:39 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 04:14:13 AM by rizabbasi

Hi,

Regards,

Rizwan

Hi,

Thanks and regards,

Rizwan

The fan sucks the air into the PSU, this is the bottom side. The grill with the power connector allows the hot air to go out.

OK, thanks. So is it OK to place PSU having it's fan on the side preferably pointing out?

emoji00

Activity: 168
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 04:05:10 PM

Your bracket is good use wood. A Corsair have features: Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection, over power protection, over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.

And all that protection did not prevent one my cards "smoking" two weeks ago...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: