Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:25:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-12-15] If you invested $1,000 in bitcoin in 2013, here’s how much you’d...  (Read 110 times)
cybersofts (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 284

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:51:42 PM

If you invested $1,000 in bitcoin in 2013, here’s how much you’d have now

If you took a chance on bitcoin early on, just a few years ago, your investment could have paid off in a big way.

According to digital-currency website CoinDesk — whose Bitcoin Price Index tracks prices from digital currency exchanges Bitfinex, Bitstamp, Coinbase and itBit — the value of bitcoins was volatile in 2013, particularly toward the end of the year: In December alone, the price per bitcoin hit highs of around $1,000 and lows below $600.

If you purchased $1,000 worth of bitcoin back then at a price of $600 per, you'd have a little over 1.6 bitcoins. If you purchased $1,000 worth of bitcoin at a price of $1,000 per, you'd have one bitcoin.

The above chart shows CoinDesk's Bitcoin Price Index for Dec. 1, 2013 to Dec. 31, 2013

As of Thursday, bitcoin's value was just above $16,500, according to CoinDesk. Based on that value, one bitcoin would be worth a little over $16,500 and 1.6 bitcoins would be worth more than $26,400 today. This estimate does not include any additional fees or transactional costs.

That's a tremendous profit in just a few years.

If you were smart, or lucky, enough to invest even earlier, in 2010, you could be in the company of the Winklevoss twins, who are reported to be the first bitcoin billionaires.

As bitcoin has gone more mainstream, some of the biggest names in finance are weighing in. Fundstrat's Tom Lee and value investor Bill Miller have embraced the trend.

But even with many success stories surrounding bitcoin investments, seasoned investors are voicing caution. Billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban and "Oracle of Omaha" Warren Buffett warn of bitcoin's volatility. Legendary investor and index fund mogul Jack Bogle, at a recent Council on Foreign Relations event, told the audience, "Avoid bitcoin like the plague."

"Bitcoin has no underlying rate of return," the Vanguard founder said. "You know bonds have an interest coupon, stocks have earnings and dividends, [and] gold has nothing. There is nothing to support bitcoin," he said, "except the hope that you will sell it to someone for more than you paid for it."

Here's how young people should invest their first $10,000  

While big-names like Bogle have taken either pro- or anti-bitcoin stances, others, like self-made millionaire and best-selling author of "Money: Master the Game," Tony Robbins, haven't taken a firm position.

Robbins told CNBC's "Fast Money" that he thinks bitcoin "is very iffy" and compared investing in the cryptocurrency to "going to Vegas."

In his own portfolio, Robbins directs a certain amount of money to risky ventures, but he doesn't rely on them to work out. For those investments, he said, "I know it is just for fun I'm investing, I know I could lose."

If you are considering investing in cryptocurrencies, be careful. Past returns do not predict future results. Think of it like a trip to Vegas, experts like Robbins suggest: Only play with money you can afford to lose.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/if-you-put-1000-in-bitcoin-in-2013-heres-how-much-youd-have-now.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
uslfd

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 06:55:07 AM

This is the beauty of HODL.
Buy BTC now, hold for a few years don't get FUDded out. There is still a lot of room for btc to grow from here.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:43:20 PM

This is gentlemen.
J. Cooper

Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:15:40 PM

I don't know why people think that every so often it would a good idea to release yet another article to remind us that we missed out on bitcoin when it was relatively cheap. The past is the past and it should stay there. The future is ever so exciting.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:27:18 PM

I don't know why people think that every so often it would a good idea to release yet another article to remind us that we missed out on bitcoin when it was relatively cheap. The past is the past and it should stay there. The future is ever so exciting.

You have to look through this. It's nothing more than generating Bitcoin related article volume to attract clicks from average joes that are now massively jumping into Bitcoin. It seems that it has become somewhat of a hype to either share your opinion as "expert", share your (likely fake) story about how x person is now a millionaire with just a $100 investment in 2011, etc. I personally don't really mind all this as long as there isn't any negativity involved. I have seen a lot coverage about this on tv as well, and to a certain extent, it has an impact on people. It might give the average person more incentive to try and achieve the same. 
btcbonanza

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:39:31 PM

Why you going that far to repent! Bitcoin was as high as $1000 in 2013 which was also an average price a year ago.
So in short we can say, if you bought bitcoin a year ago, you could have made 20x profits in just 1 year that is over 5.4% return daily!!  Shocked
Next time you see ponzi sites offering 4-5% returns, you can just laught on them and exclaim, "See I have earned same by just keeping my bitcoins in wallet."
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2144

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:54:36 PM

Because the point of modern mainstream journalism is to farm clicks, and what's the better way to farm clicks than writing sensationalist bullshit articles like this one?  The same people who say "You could have been a billionaire if you have bought Bitcoin early" are the very same people who were saying early that "Bitcoin is a tulip mania that will soon crash", and saying this right now. Taking investment advices from media is one of the dumbest thing people can make with their money.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
J. Cooper

Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 08:06:43 PM

You have to look through this. It's nothing more than generating Bitcoin related article volume to attract clicks from average joes that are now massively jumping into Bitcoin. It seems that it has become somewhat of a hype to either share your opinion as "expert", share your (likely fake) story about how x person is now a millionaire with just a $100 investment in 2011, etc. I personally don't really mind all this as long as there isn't any negativity involved.

I don't really mind it too much either but these articles only emphasise the monetary gain. And what this will do is attract those kind of people that merely want to take part in bitcoin for the monetary gain. And I'm not saying you shouldn't be in it for the monetary gain but that's the one thing those kind of people only really care about. And I don't know if that's a good thing.

I have seen a lot coverage about this on tv as well, and to a certain extent, it has an impact on people. It might give the average person more incentive to try and achieve the same. 

I think the more of this articles will be pushed out the more hesitant the average Joe will become. I think articles like this will make them feel like they missed the boat. So it may even have the opposite effect.
Enjorlas

Activity: 788
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:06:14 AM

No point in talking in IF, stupid article to make newbies dream about the past and bring more mainstream audience into the bitcoin
dale1075

Activity: 252
Merit: 37

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:39:17 PM

Risk takers have always benefited from the historic rise of bitcoin price.
Their investments have multiplied a thousand times in just a short period.
Many doubted the liquidity of handling bitcoins when it started but now have become a follower of the currency.
I always ask myself why I didn't invest while its price is still small?

▶▶  BTCitcoin 2  ◀◀    ⚡ Scalable Bitcoin Fork with instant verified payments ⚡
░░░░▒▒▒▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████████████████▓▓▓▒▒▒░░░░
Low Fees ✲ ✲ Truly Anonymous TransactionsJoin the discussion thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: