Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:22:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem sweeping into Electrum  (Read 139 times)
2 Useless (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:36:26 PM

I watched the video on moving from Multibit to Electrum, but I wanted to sweep my private keys in, rather than having a default wallet because I wanted to have the protection of the seed.  I did the first bit, but then ran into problems.  I  have copied and stored my private keys onto a memory stick for the moment.  When I tried to transfer them into my electrum wallet, it wouldn't let me do it. I went to wallet>private keys>sweep and pasted in the keys, but then it wouldn't allow me to sweep.  I had a lot of private keys, maybe about 40 from small transactions. (I hadn't got a lot of money in there but I don't want to lose it.)  I don't know if this was the reason, or because I opened the file in "Word".  However, at the moment I am stuck with my private keys neither in my Electrum wallet nor in my old Multibit wallet. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?  I can't put all of the small amounts in one address if I haven't got a wallet to start with.  Sorry to be a nuisance. I am really clueless when it comes to this. Thanks.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 07:38:28 PM

If you have opened your wallet backup with word etc. those apps try to optimize the file so that it can be opened and can be read however, due to the wallet file being something from another world for those applications they actually corrupt the file while trying to optimize it.

2 Useless (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:43:23 PM

Thanks so much.  Is there anything I can do, like try to change it into wordpad, which is what was on the Multibit video?
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 07:46:36 PM

Thanks so much.  Is there anything I can do, like try to change it into wordpad, which is what was on the Multibit video?

I mean... you can try but there is always a possibility that it might corrupt it even more if you have the original backup file/private keys try to import them to Blockchain Wallet (a random account will do) then create a new wallet on Electrum or any other wallet you wanna use and transfer the funds there.
2 Useless (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:55:25 PM

Thank you! I'll try that, but as this is way outside my league, I'm not too hopeful.  I wish I'd left it where it was and just transferred small amounts. I really appreciate your help.
2 Useless (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 12:24:03 PM

Sorry to add to this, but I'm stuck with what I have.  The video said that the file could be opened with any word processor...although obviously I should have chosen Wordpad...  The Multibit notice also said that the export file could be read correctly.  Before I try to export the keys to my Blockchain wallet, I am just wondering about the actual number of characters.  These address keys were from small transactions a while back and they are 73 characters long which includes the dates.  Otherwise they would be 53 characters long, starting with K or L.  I read somewhere that the dates shouldn't be included and I wondered if lopping these off would solve the problem. Thanks again.
2 Useless (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 12:19:00 AM

Final note..Thank you for the encouragement that something could be done.  Today I copied the private addresses without the dates and swept them into the Electrum wallet and this time it worked! I was amazed.  Thank you also to the person who somewhere mentioned that one of the Bitcoin wallets had to have no dates attached to the addresses and to the person who advised someone else about the address being the wrong length. All these pieces of information made it possible.  Smiley The Electrum wallet worked very well for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: