Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:05:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsecured WiFi  (Read 1603 times)
Alexander Mamaev

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 11:38:05 AM

Yes, that can happen: Sometimes hackers get access to users’ devices through public wi-fi.
This is what happened with someone in Starbucks in Buenos Aires, if you follow news. Hackers target public places in order to infect many individual devices at once with mining software.
Actually, attempts to hijack public wi-fi are bound to increse in the near future. For hackers, this makes more sense, given that attacking a single personal device isn’t worth it. Using one laptop you can mine about $0,02=0,05 worth of cryptocurrency in one day. But if you mine cryptocurrency off 100–150 devices, that will give you $2–8. So, if you infect a few hundred routers with the mining malware, that could potentially bring you substantial returns.
loaddebitcard

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:58:29 AM

Instead of using public network I make a mobile hotspot network from my iphone. It's much more secure and is available anywhere where is your carrier's coverage.
jhuliacrysty

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 01:59:39 PM

yes wifi is very unsafe, because if you are around hackers all the data that is in your pc surely sold in the grab the hackers.
so do not use wifi use your own personal data, little capital for your own security.
aoihs00

Activity: 700
Merit: 300

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 02:03:14 PM

This is a hypothetical question. I am wondering, can my desktop wallet be hacked if I log into an unsecured WiFi hotspot even if I do not log into my bitcoin desktop wallet? I am wondering because I travel a lot, and when travelling I sometimes log into coffee shop WiFi hotspots. I don't keep a lot of funds on the desktop but I'm wondering about this.

In the hypothetical scenario also I wouldn't open up my laptop in the public wifi. It is the easiest black hole where your security can be compromised easily. The people are full of IT knowledge now a days and even a kid knows how to hack normal windows password. With the increase in the prices of the bitcoin and other crypto currency it is sure that people are just waiting you to connect with the public wifi and wait for your computer to get hacked. To many smart people around bro so do not take the risk of doing that. Always carry personal hot spot with you so that it would be easier for you to connect with your desktop wallet. When it comes to money, there should not be risking of it too.
ringgo96

Activity: 1568
Merit: 279

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 02:09:37 PM

yes wifi is very unsafe, because if you are around hackers all the data that is in your pc surely sold in the grab the hackers.
so do not use wifi use your own personal data, little capital for your own security.
yes that's when we use public wifi, because public wifi is used by anyone, sometimes people who have a specific purpose can also use public wifi.
then we in using public wifi must also be careful that the data we have it will be safe from anyone who intends evil.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
gustaf.berg

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 02:18:30 PM

Do you know who is providing this service.... How much information goes through their proxies and what data is filtered and

logged? Why go through all that trouble and risk for a little bit of free data? I never use public WiFi for anything other than

doing updates or browsing the Net. {not secure sites} Yes, some might say https sites are not vulnerable, but I am not going

to take chances with things I cannot control. {I can access my equipment and none of my personal information is logged by

any middle man}  Grin
True, this is why many people never realize why they lose their coins, they do not realize the high risk actions they take everyday, if you care about maintaining your coins in your possession you need to be extremely cautious about where you connect your computer and where you login into your accounts.

That is very important because after bitcoin's crazy rally, hackers became more. You should use some encryption tools even if you have to use public wifi.
datodota002

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 02:29:57 PM

This is a hypothetical question. I am wondering, can my desktop wallet be hacked if I log into an unsecured WiFi hotspot even if I do not log into my bitcoin desktop wallet? I am wondering because I travel a lot, and when travelling I sometimes log into coffee shop WiFi hotspots. I don't keep a lot of funds on the desktop but I'm wondering about this.
there is a possibility that could happen because, as far as I know there is a hacking method by making wifi clone so that people who enter the cloned network can read the flow of data by the network maker. and that's where your important data can be stolen including your password

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 02:51:45 PM

All this doom and gloom about public WiFi makes me laugh. If you use Windows with Cortana, you have a much greater risk of having your data recorded.
Do you use a contactless credit card?  - people can steal your money while they stand next to you in a queue if you do. Got bluetooth or WiFi on your mobile, then thaty's another way in, and how about near field communications. If you run a core node, and you manage your wallet(s) sensibly, then there is no way that you are more at risk on public WiFi, unless you use cloud services of course.

Maybe we should produce a guide for business people on the move.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
MD Milon

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:31:41 AM

It's a very tough and difficult question.now WiFi are popular in public place also it's compromise anywhere.so it's depend on user what kind of wallet using.]
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: