Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:10:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Elqnt -- Anonymous Peer-to-Peer Bitcoin Exchange  (Read 7259 times)
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:42:56 AM

You should add a link to your "too cool for school" page to an alternative page that works on all browsers.

This would give access to things like your faq and a description of what your service actually does.  You could have screenshots of the page in action.

Many people aren't going to download Chrome just to see what your service is about.

In fact, how does your service work?  You should give a description of how a trade proceeds.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elqntdotorg (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 08:13:44 AM

Please, keep up the good work!

Thanks!  

Pushing hard to get this next group of functionality deployed.  There is some tricky back-end work w/ the peer-to-peer encryption that is holding things up (along with the mapping server).  
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 08:19:09 AM

You should add a link to your "too cool for school" page to an alternative page that works on all browsers.

This would give access to things like your faq and a description of what your service actually does.  You could have screenshots of the page in action.

Many people aren't going to download Chrome just to see what your service is about.

In fact, how does your service work?  You should give a description of how a trade proceeds.

That's for the feedback -- The landing page will be cross-browser in the upcoming deploy, so the 'too cool for school' page will be going away -- It was actually a really quick late-night capability test until we got the next round of functionality out.  

With the new landing page in place, users should have a solid idea of what the service is all about and how it works.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 09:57:22 AM

Love your site and idea. Even includes Malaysian ringgit. Any offline messaging feature in the works (that would be awesome)?

elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 07:33:50 PM

Love your site and idea. Even includes Malaysian ringgit. Any offline messaging feature in the works (that would be awesome)?

Indeed, partially what's taking a while -- it's been a unique challenge to maintain anonymity while affording persistent messaging.
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 01:49:55 PM

Wow, this looks extremely promising.

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
viriat0

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:02:04 PM

keep up, good work and good luck! Cheesy
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 02:06:10 AM

Thanks!  We've set the go-live date for Oct 29th on this new version.

This version is essentially a complete re-write from the beta with some serious refactoring to much of the back-end due to continued thought around security + efficiency. 

With all that re-working, it's taken quite a bit longer than expected -- we apologize for that -- but we felt we couldn't go live with this next version without a solid base set of functionality from which we could build. 

As the date gets closer, I'll update this post with an outline of the full set of functionality (some items are still in the works and might not quite make it in before we lock in). 

Best,
Stephen

elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 09:08:41 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2013, 06:22:07 AM by elqntdotorg

Hey all,

A quick update on things:

It's not looking like I'm going to be able to push the service live today.  I'm super bummed, but it's honestly for the best.  You'd hate the experience if I pushed it live today.

Reasons:

• I want the experience to be very good when it goes live -- it's not there yet.
  • P2P Messaging + Listings are working great, but getting persistence of both of those is taking a lot of time to get right -- but it is very close.
  • The in-house mapping server didn't pan out.  I simply don't have the optimal hardware for it and I couldn't reach parity w/ other open street map options such as Mapquest.  This didn't delay things persay, but I'm bummed.  In order to do this, it would require another server specifically designed for high IO -- which costs quite a lot.

I also have one other major feature (sort-of) that I've not yet announced (and had hoped to today!), but it will have to wait until Elqnt goes live   Wink

Best,
Stephen
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 09:12:38 AM

Hey all,

Quick update on my end --

Elqnt is now going to be hosted out of a data center here in SF -- still on our own hardware.  I was able to find space (and the proper bandwidth) to accommodate the loads I'm hoping to be able to handle. 

I'd been capitulating to the idea of cloud hosting over this past week due to the in-house setup not measuring up to what I'd hoped -- not to mention the provider was not reliable enough -- but finding this space keeps things solid in the track of managing and hosting everything on our own hardware for additional control/access.

I'm really pushing to wrap up development in the next few days -- the timestamp on this should be an indication of the long hours Smiley  Getting all of the hardware setup in the data center this week set me back a couple days, but is a huge step up in stability + bandwidth. 

Anyways, I'll keep everyone posted as I get ready to push it live!

Stephen
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 12:34:16 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 12:55:42 AM by elqntdotorg

Hey all,

I wanted to share a quick video I made walking through the state of development on the exchange.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlrvJfiWZOk

I'd love feedback and I'm pushing hard to get this last set of functionality wrapped up so you can get your hands on it.  

I'm also looking to find some folk interested in jumping in on the project as well.  I'm thinking of structuring it as a rev share between whomever joins in.  If you'd be interested, shoot me a message.

Best,
Stephen

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:16:18 AM

Hey all,

I wanted to share a quick video I made walking through the state of development on the exchange. 

I'd love feedback and I'm pushing hard to get this last set of functionality wrapped up so you can get your hands on it. 

I'm also looking to find some folk interested in jumping in on the project as well.  I'm thinking of structuring it as a rev share between whomever joins in.  If you'd be interested, shoot me a message.

Best,
Stephen

Very cool I can't wait to use this! I am also a dev, my skill set is on the side of this, but I will for sure be playing with this when it open sources as well.
dansmith

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 11:10:49 PM

@elqntdotorg

Just watched the youtube video. Looks good.
What are your thoughts regarding anti DOS measures? Can the attacker DDOS other users with lots of encrypted meaningless data which the user will then have to decrypt and thus consuming the CPU.
When a user creates a sell offer, does this offer get broadcasted to the whole network? What's preventing attackers from creating fake offers and spamming the system?

https://tlsnotary.org
Transferable webpage content notarization.
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 11:14:51 PM

Hey all,

I'm also looking to find some folk interested in jumping in on the project as well.  I'm thinking of structuring it as a rev share between whomever joins in.  If you'd be interested, shoot me a message.

Best,
Stephen

The video is not working for me on the iPad YouTube app.

Playback error tap to try again.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:25:05 AM

@elqntdotorg

Just watched the youtube video. Looks good.
What are your thoughts regarding anti DOS measures? Can the attacker DDOS other users with lots of encrypted meaningless data which the user will then have to decrypt and thus consuming the CPU.
When a user creates a sell offer, does this offer get broadcasted to the whole network? What's preventing attackers from creating fake offers and spamming the system?

The simple answer, as the network stands now, is yes - it's vulnerable.  

Three ways that I'm addressing integrity around listing + messaging data right now --

1. I've built in mechanisms to handle user spoofing + spoofed edits of existing listings.
2. I'm going to be limiting the amount of listings a user can post to 1 at launch.
3. I've made the decision (since posting the video) to limit listing posts to 7 days of visibility + messages for those listings to 14 days of accessibility (purged from the network by all peers after that).

Those three measures prevent the majority of attacks in the form of corruption / manipulation and, to an extent, flooding / spamming.

Going forward --

Reputation is the next big functionality that I'm going to be building in after launch.
This will allow us to much more effectively address DDOS + spamming potential in that:
1. Peers can automatically reject messages from peers deemed to be spamming even before any decryption is necessary
2. The peer server can auto-kick users from the network who are spamming

This is an ongoing thought process for me as I continue to engineer the network.  Would love any feedback on the above and/or other thoughts.

Best,
Stephen

elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:26:16 AM

Hey all,

Best,
Stephen

The video is not working for me on the iPad YouTube app.

Playback error tap to try again.

Very weird, I was able to duplicate this on my ipad.  In the immediate, watch on your laptop.  I'm digging into it. Could possibly be an issue w/ it having been recorded via hangout, as I've got the settings set for 'all platforms'. 
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:31:41 AM

Hey all,

I'm also looking to find some folk interested in jumping in on the project as well.  I'm thinking of structuring it as a rev share between whomever joins in.  If you'd be interested, shoot me a message.

Best,
Stephen

Very cool I can't wait to use this! I am also a dev, my skill set is on the side of this, but I will for sure be playing with this when it open sources as well.

Thanks!  I'm super excited to get it out and it keeps me pumped hearing about others being excited. 

Awesome, can't wait to get your feedback on the codebase when it's out.
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 03:44:32 AM
Last edit: November 17, 2013, 03:54:43 AM by elqntdotorg

Elqnt Exchange Update -- 11/16/13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeB2PqI9FDY

Hey,

I recorded another update to show everybody the progress around authenticated listing propagation + synchronization.  

I want to also seriously apologize for how LONG this development cycle has been taking me.  It's honestly been requiring much more work to get it functioning the way I want than I had originally anticipated.  I'm not publicaly setting a specific date (though I have one set in my head) for the go-live, but I'm forging forward daily.  
I'll be calling this an alpha release and I explain a bit more why @ the end of the video.

Please give me any feedback if you have it and I really look forward to getting this live, open sourced, and kicking with real users!

Best,
Stephen
elqntdotorg (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 01:25:47 AM

Hey everyone!

A short update on the progress of Elqnt development --

Please give me any feedback, questions, thoughts if you have any!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwgnUbU2-fw

Some of the big things I mention in the video:

1. The entirety of the exchange is going to be open source
2. I'm going to be separately open sourcing the p2p framework I've built for propagation + synchronization (not immediatly, but soon) so that others can build their own p2p + decentralized web + mobile services.  
3. The entirety of the Elqnt exchange will be free!  Individual exchangers might charge a fee/percent, but elqnt itself will be ad supported (at least for now -- exploring other revenue options that might supplement as well).
4. I still have bugs, but I'm hoping the community will help me trace and fix ones that I've not yet been able to squash.  

Again, give me any feedback, thoughts, opinions, etc. you might have!  

It kind of seems folk have grown weary of interest in the length of time it's taken to get this out there, but know that it's coming and close!  

I'm wrapping up persistent messaging and then finishing up the UI and then I'll be going live w/ the alpha!

Best,
Stephen
overcoin

Activity: 53

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:05:22 PM

Very interesting project. I see this as one of the few solutions for a truly decentralized Bitcoin exchange.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: