Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:32:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anonymous Internet Banking Project  (Read 9075 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 03:48:41 AM

This is my secret project I'm currently working on.  A full internet anonymous/pseudonymous banking service.

Basically it will allow anyone to own financial assets anonymously (or pseudonymously) and to trade them.

It will be free and open source, because the more implementations, the better.

It will be centralized.  Yes, centralized.  Not P2P.  Because a financial asset is not a money.  You NEED TO trust someone who promesses to pay revenues from this asset.  So until an other genius like Satoshi invents a dividend-paying cryptoasset, we got to stick to the reputation/trust/responsabiliy model.

Every asset account will be indentified by a cryptographic key.  Several types will be accepted.  GnuPG, DSA, ECDSA.  Any request to accept any other kind of key will be studied.     Public keys can be large, so we'll use hashes to designate accounts.  Again, no restriction on the type of hashes.  But only "good" hash function.   RMD160, sha256, sha124,...  all those hases from the same public key will be accepted to identify any asset.

Asset transfer will be possible by signing a document made of the asset transfered amount, the destination public key (or its hash) and the current bitcoin block hash as a time indication.

All transactions will be public, so that everyone can check signatures and balances.  The full transaction history will be available via HTTP.

The server will be hidden on the Web using Tor.

The bank will offer a clearing/escrow/compensation service for trading assets.  Crossed order books will be maintained for all possible asset pairs.  Real-time fast trading should be able via XMPP/IRC/Jabber, whatever.

Bitcoin would make all this much easier.  I doubt I could do that all alone, but I very much would like to live long enouhg to see this becoming reality.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 04:14:29 AM

Did you place Open-Transactions on the backend or did you create all the code from scratch? What percentage complete are you? I noticed you posted on the OT posting and figured you put 2&2 together, eh?

Vinnie

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 05:05:48 AM

This is my secret project I'm currently working on.  A full internet anonymous/pseudonymous banking service.

Basically it will allow anyone to own financial assets anonymously (or pseudonymously) and to trade them.

Will these assets be traditional securities? In other words, will the bank (or bank owner/operator) have title to them according to the rest of the world?

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 06:03:00 AM

The last time I tried Tor hidden services, it was very slow.  Have you considered anonymously registering your domain and then hosting it on the regular internet (mirrored, of course)?  You could do a continual transaction backup through Tor to a server you have possession of.

At any rate, I think it's a great project, and I wish you the best of luck. 

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 11:55:50 AM

Did you place Open-Transactions on the backend or did you create all the code from scratch? What percentage complete are you? I noticed you posted on the OT posting and figured you put 2&2 together, eh?

Oh indeed I forgot about that.  I haven't already looked into OT enough.

It's possible that it is what I am trying to do indeed.

But for some reasons I want to start an other implementation from scratch.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2011, 03:55:34 PM

Oh indeed I forgot about that.  I haven't already looked into OT enough.

It's possible that it is what I am trying to do indeed.

But for some reasons I want to start an other implementation from scratch.

I have sent you a pm about this project, it is something we can work together on, I have resources that I can use for this project. Anyone else that is interested (by contributing technical skills, resources such as computer or network, or with donations or "investments") pm me.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 04:11:49 PM

I have sent you a pm about this project, it is something we can work together on, I have resources that I can use for this project. Anyone else that is interested (by contributing technical skills, resources such as computer or network, or with donations or "investments") pm me.

Yeah I'll definitely look into it.

It requires OpenSSL version 1.0.0, which is quite a high version number.  I'm on debian Sid and I only have version : 0.9.8o-4.

The 1.0.0c is on debian experimental, though.  I'll have to install it.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2011, 04:17:29 PM

Yeah I'll definitely look into it.

It requires OpenSSL version 1.0.0, which is quite a high version number.  I'm on debian Sid and I only have version : 0.9.8o-4.

The 1.0.0c is on debian experimental, though.  I'll have to install it.

Don't worry, I had already pm'd you. I have installed 1.0.0c on the machine. Ubuntu 10.10 so you should be familiar.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 04:31:08 PM

Don't worry, I had already pm'd you. I have installed 1.0.0c on the machine. Ubuntu 10.10 so you should be familiar.

I'm on IRC right now if you want to talk.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 10:05:26 PM

It will be centralized.  Yes, centralized.  Not P2P.  Because a financial asset is not a money.  You NEED TO trust someone who promesses to pay revenues from this asset.  So until an other genius like Satoshi invents a dividend-paying cryptoasset, we got to stick to the reputation/trust/responsabiliy model.

Every asset account will be indentified by a cryptographic key.  Several types will be accepted.  GnuPG, DSA, ECDSA.  Any request to accept any other kind of key will be studied.     Public keys can be large, so we'll use hashes to designate accounts.  Again, no restriction on the type of hashes.  But only "good" hash function.   RMD160, sha256, sha124,...  all those hases from the same public key will be accepted to identify any asset.

Asset transfer will be possible by signing a document made of the asset transfered amount, the destination public key (or its hash) and the current bitcoin block hash as a time indication.

All transactions will be public, so that everyone can check signatures and balances.  The full transaction history will be available via HTTP.

The bank will offer a clearing/escrow/compensation service for trading assets.  Crossed order books will be maintained for all possible asset pairs.  Real-time fast trading should be able via XMPP/IRC/Jabber, whatever.

Bitcoin would make all this much easier.  I doubt I could do that all alone, but I very much would like to live long enouhg to see this becoming reality.

Haven't i heard this somewhere ?
What is the difference between this and loom ?

https://loom.cc/

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 10:55:42 PM

It will be centralized.  Yes, centralized.  Not P2P.  Because a financial asset is not a money.  You NEED TO trust someone who promesses to pay revenues from this asset.  

Just because you need to trust someone doesn't mean it MUST be centralised.

For example: The ripple monetary system relies on nothing BUT trust in order to work, yet it is fully decentralised.  

In some ways it's Bitcoin's opposite, since Bitcoin was designed to work without any need of trust whatsoever.

The web of trust makes it possible to lend money to a complete stranger who is connected to you via people you trust, and people they trust.  Since they collectively "vouch" for that stranger, you can have a degree of certainty that the stranger will fulfil their promise to you.

This kind of system is more trustworthy and resilient than what you are proposing, because it has no single point of failure, and because it's unlikely that you lose all your assets at once.

I personally would not trust my wealth to an anonymous website for any kind of extended time period (say 5 years) even if I knew the owner was competent and honest. Too many things could go wrong. Death, disease, bankruptcy, data loss, hackers, government crackdowns...

My traditional bank is a safer bet. Here in Switzerland at least, if my bank fails, or screws up, it has an agreement with other banks (not the government, mind you) that they will bail out its customers.  Some kind of insurance by a third party is the least I would expect from an internet bank.

my 0.02BTC...  good luck anyhow.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 10:57:21 PM

Haven't i heard this somewhere ?
What is the difference between this and loom ?

https://loom.cc/

Yeah right, I forgot about loom too.  Beat me.

Let's just say I want my own implementation Smiley

And I want it in bash.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 07:22:50 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2011, 07:39:43 AM by grondilu

Well, until I find an hosting alternative, I can open an hidden service using my personal computer.    It is not always connected to internet, though.

http://3p3y4pqhrgpxoqw6.onion/brokerage.cgi

This is my personnal laptop, so don't try anything funny, ok ?

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 01:06:37 PM

http://www.kimsufi.pl/ks/

Super-cheap dedicated hosting.
One core/250GB/2GB/100Mbit starts from about 20 EUR / Month.

And yes, it is quite stable/reliable, I'm already using it for more than a year.

Here is the french page - it's very alike in matter of pricing & selection:
http://www.kimsufi.com/ks/

There is an UK site too, but it is little more expensive.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 04:21:25 PM

Shouldn't you guys look for hosting services that you can pay in bitcoin? It support the bitcoin economy plus you don't have to go through the extra step of converting bitcoin to euro or dollars.

fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 06:49:35 AM

I definitely suggest you take some time to play around with Open Transactions, and read over the wiki.

Email me if you have any questions.

-FT

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 07:32:01 AM

I definitely suggest you take some time to play around with Open Transactions, and read over the wiki.

If you don't mind I'll ask you my questions here.  There's no reason why it should not be public.

I don't like OT very much.  Seems quite complicated right now.  But I will take a deeper look into it when it implements stock markets.  According to the main page, it should come soon, right ?

fellowtraveler

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 08:29:22 AM

If you don't mind I'll ask you my questions here.  There's no reason why it should not be public.

I don't like OT very much.  Seems quite complicated right now.  But I will take a deeper look into it when it implements stock markets.  According to the main page, it should come soon, right ?

Suggest you check out the Use Cases for a list of the basic client-side functionality:
https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Use-Cases

That article also shows which API functions to call for implementing each case.

To play with the functionality without coding, try the command-line test client.
Instructions:
https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Test-Wallet-commands

OT already supports markets. (That is, trading 2 asset types against each other by making an
offer onto a market, where it may trade against other offers from other users.) To read more
about OT markets, here:
https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Markets
Note that each trade involves 4 accounts. If we are trading dollars for wheat, then there
are my dollar and wheat accounts, and there are your dollar and wheat accounts. Total of 4.

What OT does NOT yet support is stocks. (A stock being an asset type that may occasionally
pay dividends, as set by the issuer, which are paid out in a different asset type.) Once stocks are
added to OT, you will be able to trade them on markets like any other asset type.
You may find value in this article about future potential instruments on OT:
https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Future-Direction

From what you have written, OT seems like what you are describing, and having written it,
I can assure you that playing around with OT for a few hours will be much easier and simpler
for you, than actually writing it from scratch was for me.  I have endeavored to protect you
from that complexity as much as possible with a simple interface (the OT API and classes.)

FYI, here's a project to create a perl wrapper for the OT API:
https://github.com/DsPearson/tempest

There is a web (HTML) GUI layered over that, but soon the author will release a command-line
version as well. (A real UNIX style command line, unlike the current OT command-line test wallet.)
You may find that such a command line is also well-suited to your needs.

Good luck!

-FT

co-founder, Monetas
Nefario

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 11:11:25 AM

fellowtraveler:

I will be using OT in my project (using ruby on rails), I've been playing around with the demo client and server alittle and think it's just right.

However, when trying to get the bindings for ruby to build I was having some difficulty. I had ruby 1.9.2 built, and for openssl had it link to 1.0.0c openssl. But OT wouldn't build the ruby bindings.

Any tips, I am not a c cpp person, just a lazy and slow scripter.

Also a question about markets, this is one area I didn't play around with. What happens to the spread when a transaction occurs?

Actually I'm very happy you are on the bitcoin forums, you certainly know who will be the early adopters. Also any time frame for stocks and contracts that pay dividends will be supported ?

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:14:05 PM

Anyway I have already written a bash CGI that does what I wanted.

Basically the owner of an asset is identified by a bitcoin address.   Thanks to dirtyfilthy, it is possible to extract a bitcoin private key from the wallet, and thus to sign a transaction using openssl.  Using a bitcoin address as an identifier makes it much easier for stocks (dividends just have to be paid on this bitcoin address).

Unfortunately I have to wait until I get a better web hosting solution to show it to the world.

The source code is already available on github though :

http://github.com/grondilu/bitcoin-bash-tools

Pegasus-Rider

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:41:59 PM

I may offer you hosting for the project. What do you need?
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:44:13 PM

I may offer you hosting for the project. What do you need?

I need a web server which accepts bash CGI script, and which have tools such as bc, dc, sed, awk, xxd.  And also a recent version of openssl.  I know openssl 1.0.0c works fine.  openssl 0.9.8q doesn't.

Pegasus-Rider

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:45:16 PM

Wow. So your SW is pretty UNIX-wayish, huh?
Good. I may get it to you. Any special requirements? What about bandwidth?
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:47:59 PM

Wow. So your SW is pretty UNIX-wayish, huh?
Good. I may get it to you. Any special requirements? What about bandwidth?

I don't think I need much bandwith.  I doubt I'll have many clients at the beginning. 

fellowtraveler

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 10:03:58 AM

fellowtraveler:

I will be using OT in my project (using ruby on rails), I've been playing around with the demo client and server alittle and think it's just right.

However, when trying to get the bindings for ruby to build I was having some difficulty. I had ruby 1.9.2 built, and for openssl had it link to 1.0.0c openssl. But OT wouldn't build the ruby bindings.

Also a question about markets, this is one area I didn't play around with. What happens to the spread when a transaction occurs?

Actually I'm very happy you are on the bitcoin forums, you certainly know who will be the early adopters. Also any time frame for stocks and contracts that pay dividends will be supported ?

Nefario:  I already wrote you back on Github but I thought I'd post here in case anyone else was curious...

Open Transactions' Makefile is looking for 1.0.0a, but you have 1.0.0c installed.
I need to update my Makefiles, but I don't want to do that until I get a chance to install 1.0.0c and test it myself.
Until I get a chance to do that, you can edit the files yourself and let me know if it works?
I'll have this updated in the next few days I'm sure.

Here are the exact lines:
Makefile:118:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
OTLib/Makefile:106:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
testwallet/Makefile:134:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
testwallet/Makefile.API:134:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
transaction/Makefile:126:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
util/otcreatemint/Makefile:112:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
util/signcontract/Makefile:113:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a

co-founder, Monetas
Pegasus-Rider

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 10:49:06 AM

So OK, write me to rider at SDF e-mail, we'll see what can be done.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 12:23:48 PM

So OK, write me to rider at SDF e-mail, we'll see what can be done.

Can't we do this here ?

Pegasus-Rider

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 12:32:00 PM

Why not, go ahead.
SDF would be neater through.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 12:37:22 PM

Why not, go ahead.
SDF would be neater through.

I don't like talking on SDF actually.

Anyway, I can't use freeshell.org for this project, since it has only openssl 0.9.8q and I don't have arpa rights that I may need to compile a more recent version.  It's also possible that even with arpa rights I couldn't compile.  What can you suggest ?

I'm on IRC right now, on freenode #bitcoin-dev

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 18, 2011, 04:44:43 PM

The idea could be very usefull.

Tor hidden services are horribly slow, also it seems to completely lose connectivity overall every once in a while??

Try I2P, that was actualy designed for hidden services and offers a much better solution regarding speed, availability and security.

If you're unfamiliar with it you can get quick-started on http://portable-i2p.blogspot.com  (windows)

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2011, 05:08:30 PM

Try I2P, that was actualy designed for hidden services and offers a much better solution regarding speed, availability and security.

If you're unfamiliar with it you can get quick-started on http://portable-i2p.blogspot.com  (windows)

I use debian GNU/linux.

I should indeed look into i2p, but somehow I can't find any clear straitforward howto for installation on debian.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2011, 06:11:35 PM

I use debian GNU/linux.

I should indeed look into i2p, but somehow I can't find any clear straitforward howto for installation on debian.

Doesn't I2P work simply out of the box as it is a java app ?
I remember setting it up some time ago, and i could swear it worked without any configuration.

I lost interest in it, as it is meant to be a closed network of nodes, unlike TOR, which interferes with the "normal" internet by default.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2011, 03:45:16 AM

Doesn't I2P work simply out of the box as it is a java app ?

Does it ?   Like Freenet ?

If so, I really don't want to use it.  I don't like java.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2011, 04:43:19 AM

I use debian GNU/linux.

First install the OpenJDK

apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless

create the directory you want to have i2p installed, cd to that directory.
wget http://mirror.i2p2.de/i2pinstall_0.8.2.exe
then to run the install on the command line
java -jar i2pinstall_0.8.2.exe -console

this should install it, then just cd to the newly created i2p directory,
./i2prouter start
and you are now connected to i2p
assuming it's on your local machine point your browser at 127.0.0.1:7657 and you should get the console.

Then you need to set up a proxy to use i2p when you see a .i2p address, foxyproxy is best if you are using firefox.

The rest is available on the i2p websites.

Easy actually, and the more of your connection you share the faster you will be able to connect to other hidden services.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2011, 09:57:27 AM

I use debian GNU/linux.

./i2prouter start
assuming it's on your local machine point your browser at 127.0.0.1:7657 and you should get the console.

Then you need to set up a proxy to use i2p when you see a .i2p address, foxyproxy is best if you are using firefox.

Easy actually, and the more of your connection you share the faster you will be able to connect to other hidden services.

How does I2P work in China, Nefario?  I read that Tor has been effectively blocked there...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Nefario

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2011, 01:34:05 AM

I use debian GNU/linux.

./i2prouter start

How does I2P work in China, Nefario?  I read that Tor has been effectively blocked there...

So the i2p website and other related domains are blocked. And i2p itself is prevented from bootstrapping as a result of that. However if you can get some kind of proxy address you may be able to get someones netdb folder. Once you have this you're able to connect, really all you need is the contents of netdb. But it is very very slow. I think a high traffic server needs to be operating inside China connected to i2p for things to be able to speed up.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 04:46:00 PM

My stuff is back on line :

http://grondilu.freeshell.org/brokerage.cgi

I've just tested and it works.

I still have to add the possibility for anyone to add his own asset, though.  But meanwhile, tell me if you want a testshare.

fellowtraveler

View Profile
January 26, 2011, 02:55:26 AM

fellowtraveler:

Nefario:  I already wrote you back on Github but I thought I'd post here in case anyone else was curious...

Open Transactions' Makefile is looking for 1.0.0a, but you have 1.0.0c installed.
I need to update my Makefiles, but I don't want to do that until I get a chance to install 1.0.0c and test it myself.
Until I get a chance to do that, you can edit the files yourself and let me know if it works?
I'll have this updated in the next few days I'm sure.

Here are the exact lines:
Makefile:118:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
OTLib/Makefile:106:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
testwallet/Makefile:134:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
testwallet/Makefile.API:134:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
transaction/Makefile:126:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
util/otcreatemint/Makefile:112:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a
util/signcontract/Makefile:113:#SSL_LIBDIRS = -L/usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-1.0.0a

I have been testing on Linux for a few days...

Here's the final answer to this issue (at least it worked for me)

It turns out that "apt-get install libssl-dev" does not actually install the OpenSSL version 1.0.0c.
I also tried "apt-get -t experimental install libssl-dev" as well as "apt-get install openssl" and various combinations.

Bottom line?  I ALWAYS ended up with version 0.9.8… which is the wrong version for OT.

YOU NEED TO INSTALL OPENSSL 1.0.0c BY HAND.  (It's not hard.) 

Here are the exact instructions to build and install OpenSSL 1.0.0c AND Open Transactions on linux:

wget http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.0c.tar.gz
tar -xf openssl-1.0.0c.tar.gz
cd openssl-1.0.0c
./config
make
sudo make install

cd ..

git clone http://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions.git
cd Open-Transactions

make rpc (TO BUILD THE TEST CLIENT)

-OR-

make clean