Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:04:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Custom Case Build  (Read 21345 times)
CartmanSPC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:12:58 PM

I wonder what another two at the other side and enclosing the case would do.

That was my original plan...would be interesting to see!

Datacenter has not complained about the open rig yet but if they do I may have to enclose it.

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cyclops
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:19:11 PM

Fantastic Build, but how do you manage to boot all the cards without display? Dummy plug?
Kergekoin

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:34:55 AM

Dummy plug problem is few years old already.  Cheesy

******  NB! The links below are affiliate - friend type links, which bring additional benefits both, to you and me  ******
Binance - Best Crypto Trading Platform          CoinBase - Fastest way from FIAT to Crypto
Windscribe - The quickest and easyest way to secure and anonymize your internet traffic
rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:04:58 AM

Looks fantastic man Cart, amazing, love the twin fan setup
SosDk

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:10:33 PM

Very nice build - really gives me something to think about....build my own alu, pvc or buy.
CartmanSPC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:32:55 PM

Fantastic Build, but how do you manage to boot all the cards without display? Dummy plug?

It's hard to see but I have a Displayport to VGA adaptor in GPU0. That is going to an IP KVM.

Looks fantastic man Cart, amazing, love the twin fan setup
I know huh? Did not realize the two 200mm fans would fit so well. Imagine if they were embedded into the frame design? That would have been cool.

Very nice build - really gives me something to think about....build my own alu, pvc or buy.

If I had the option to buy I would. Building the case was fun but a lot of work...especially for someone who has not picked up a power tool in 15+ years. At the time I started there was not a case option that fit into a 19" rack. I still don't think there is one available. I looked at farming out the work but was getting quotes in the $400 range.

I stared this thread because the guys in IRC asked that I document the build. I tried to post what I learned in the process. It is also nice to have something to reference if I build another one.

If you have the time, patience and tools to make one yourself go for it! Please post pictures Smiley

cyclops
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:34:19 PM

It's hard to see but I have a Displayport to VGA adaptor in GPU0. That is going to an IP KVM.

I see, so in theory with one dummy plug all the GPUs will work right?

CartmanSPC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:03:38 AM

I see, so in theory with one dummy plug all the GPUs will work right?

I have never tried to run it without a monitor plugged into GPU0 so I really don't know. One tip....when using a Mini Displayport to VGA adaptor make sure it is an "Active" adaptor. Passive adaptors (like the one Apple sells) will only give you a resolution of 640x480. Knowing that would of saved me some frustration and a few trips to the store!

The Goat Master

Activity: 868
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:30:25 PM

Yeah!

If you wanted to you could play games, maybe hookup a 1080p monitor and load up portal

██
         ▄▄▀  ▀▄
        ▄▀▀▄▄▄  ▀▄
      ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▀▄
    ▄▀ █  ▄▄▀▀ █  █ ▀▄▄
  ▄▀  ██▀█ ▄▀▀▄ █ █  █▀▄
██   █ █▐▌█ ██ █ ██ █   ██
  ▀▄█  █ █ ▀▄▄▀▄▄███  ▄▀
   ▀▀▄ █▄▄█▄█▀▀   █ ▄▀
      ▀▄▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀▀██▀
        ▀▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▀
          ▀▄  ▄▀▀
            ██
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀▀
███
███
███
 ███▄         ▄▄
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███
█████████████

█████████████

█████████████
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██████████████▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀███
███             ███
███             ███
███             ███
 ███▄         ▄███
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███

▄▄
████
 ▀▀
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
.▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.
FACEBOOK       REDDIT       TELEGRAM
BITCOINTALK   TWITTER   INSTAGRAM
CartmanSPC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:45:25 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 12:37:29 AM by CartmanSPC

Looks like Spotswood has made a version of his 80/20 cases similar to my design.

If I need another GPU case this is a nice option to have. Hope this thread helped in some way  Roll Eyes

Good job!
http://richchomiczewski.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/new-deep-open-air-mining-tray/

I would probably recommend it be made it a bit longer though. I made the mistake of making it too short as well.

My new project: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499132

CartmanSPC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:36:07 AM

Thought I should post that I have finally (about a month ago) retired this system. It has been shut down and is in the process of being dismantled. For most of it's life it was mining scrypt but towards the end when the GPU fans gave out (and they ALL gave out eventually) it was transitioned to X11.

One of the power supplies has found a new home in an A2 Mega Terminator. More info on that here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1145159

This being a hobby I do not really track profits/loss but without a doubt it has made many times over the cost to build...but if you factor in my normal hourly bill rate I'm not so sure.  Wink

Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 04:14:03 PM

Thought I should post that I have finally (about a month ago) retired this system. It has been shut down and is in the process of being dismantled. For most of it's life it was mining scrypt but towards the end when the GPU fans gave out (and they ALL gave out eventually) it was transitioned to X11.

One of the power supplies has found a new home in an A2 Mega Terminator. More info on that here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1145159

This being a hobby I do not really track profits/loss but without a doubt it has made many times over the cost to build...but if you factor in my normal hourly bill rate I'm not so sure.  Wink
The GPU rigs were something to behold, they were affordable and available to everyone.  Thanks for your efforts.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: