Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:33:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Generating but giving no feedback  (Read 1368 times)
robwat (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 05:15:48 AM

A couple of weeks ago I installed bitcoin on three Windows PC's, one of which is always on. I have poked a hole in my firewall and the client has downloaded lots of blocks, is reporting many connections and says that it's generating at around 2000 khash/s. I get no other feedback on how generating is progressing. Is this normal or is there something wrong?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 05:42:14 AM

Normal, but don't expect much in the way of generation unless you are using a high end gpu.  I've never generated a block.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
robwat (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 07:36:29 AM

I seem to have misunderstood the generation process. I though it was only a matter of time but after reviewing some of the docs I noticed something about it being a race. Is that a race to generate the next block which restarts evertime someone generates the latest block?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 07:39:43 AM

I seem to have misunderstood the generation process. I though it was only a matter of time but after reviewing some of the docs I noticed something about it being a race. Is that a race to generate the next block which restarts evertime someone generates the latest block?

No. There's only a race when two people create a block at the same time.

It's not a "matter of time", either. Each second you have a certain small probability of generating a block. The probability is higher when you're using better hardware to generate. It's entirely possible that you'll never generate a block with just 2000 khash/s.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2011, 10:13:31 AM

Here's a simplified version. Your computer is checking numbers to see if they are a solution to a specific math problem that uses data about transactions and the previous block. Each check is independent, you never get closer. If you can check 10x faster than someone else you are 10x more likely to win, unlike a race where you would win every time if you were 10x faster. When someone 'wins' it doesn't set you back, you seamlessly start working on the next problem.

As was mentioned you may never solve a block with a normal computer. It is now over 16000 times harder to find an answer low enough to count than it was in the beginning. This is because the rules adjust the target to maintain an average block time of 10 minutes. Theoretically it could go back down, but it isn't likely imo, bitcoin is growing.

Joining a pool will give you fractions of a coin every so often. Essentially it's just a bunch of people who agree to share what the get, but it's airtight, or at least it can be if it's implemented correctly.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: