Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:16:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do the mods allow accounts to be bought and sold?  (Read 2260 times)
bluefin (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:57:49 PM

Brand new on the board here but it seems to me like you shouldn't be allowed to purchase a hacked or abandoned or sold/aged account, heck you can't even delete your own account for the protection of users down the line.

No other forum of this size allows accounts to be sold or purchased and if they are or are found out to be then they are banned and deleted or at least tagged in someway so that other users know about it.

The only realistic reason for someone to purchase an account would be to scam others, period.

If the mods and owners are allowing this activity to happen then they are at the very least, complicit in the scams, extortion, blackmailing and theft that is rampant throughout this forum.

How can you guys allow this activity?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:59:43 PM

The only realistic reason for someone to purchase an account would be to scam others, period.
I considered buying accounts to rent the signatures.
I haven't done it yet because I don't think it's lucrative enough, but it might make sense anyway.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:04:08 PM

admin allows it.

/thread
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:06:18 PM

I haven't done it yet because I don't think it's lucrative enough, but it might make sense anyway.

We are skipping over the real issue here, the complicit nature of the mods to allow the scams, extortion, blackmailing and theft's to continue.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:12:35 PM

We are skipping over the real issue here, the complicit nature of the mods to allow the scams, extortion, blackmailing and theft's to continue.

We know mods don't want it to happen.  Unfortunately some people just are not good people ... simple as that.  With coin purchases escrow is important.  Escrow.... escrow.... escrow.
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:15:52 PM

For instance look at this douche-bag,

"Forum shilling service. Positive or negative feedback, we can deliver"
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=259839

My point being, that these people are over running the forum like rats, like cockroaches, imagine a newbie coming along after reading or hearing about bitcoin from their friend or coworker and how it's such a great idea only to come here and find trash like the above.
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:24:39 PM

Seriously?
You might want to read up on the more recent advances in seo. Don't bullshit me or yourself, you know for a fact that garbage links like this don't do anything anymore and could possibly hurt your rankings.

You didn't purchase them because you know that they aren't worth it and made you feel scummy, cmon admit it.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:27:28 PM

Seriously?
You might want to read up on the more recent advances in seo. Don't bullshit me or yourself, you know for a fact that garbage links like this don't do anything anymore and could possibly hurt your rankings.

You didn't purchase them because you know that they aren't worth it and made you feel scummy, cmon admit it.
You got it the other way around.

I planned to buy accounts and to sell to other people those accounts' signatures.

bitcoindigi

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:33:26 PM

Seriously?

signature links from a bitcoin forum to a bitcoin related website are still good. your ranking won't suffer from it.
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:48:54 PM

Seriously?

signature links from a bitcoin forum to a bitcoin related website are still good. your ranking won't suffer from it.

Then you don't know what you are talking about either:

Google Webmaster video on "How does Google consider site-wide backlinks?":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjN9x-by-I

Google Webmaster video on "What is Google's thinking about links from article marketing, widgets..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chuhSmwsL7s

No seo worth his salt would tell you that forum links are worth any seo value at this point. You might get the occasional click through but as far as seo value is concerned, nada.
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:56:44 PM

Seriously?

You got it the other way around.

I planned to buy accounts and to sell to other people those accounts' signatures.

Are you saying that you would purposely sell someone signature links on an account that has been hacked, stolen or abandoned?

Do you disclose this to your clients up front?
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:03:24 PM

Are you saying that you would purposely sell someone signature links on an account that has been hacked, stolen or abandoned?
No, I would do that with accounts which have been legitimately sold.

Yes, I would disclose publicly which accounts I bought, and ask to the sponsor if that's ok with them.

Anything else?

bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:07:53 PM

No, I would do that with accounts which have been legitimately sold.

Yes, I would disclose publicly which accounts I bought, and ask to the sponsor if that's ok with them.

Anything else?

How do you know that they are legitimately sold? Do you purchase them offline by a known physical person?

Please publicly disclose all of the accounts that you have bought and or sold so that the rest of us know to ignore them and not trust them.
HenryRomp

Activity: 174

Separation of currency and state.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 04:22:14 PM

I think this is a very interesting issue.

I always use my real name when posting anywhere online.

If I were going to enter a transaction with anybody from the forum I would need to know their real name and be confident that they really are who they say they are. A facebook page would usually be enough for me to feel comfortable, as I think it would be very difficult to convincingly fake a facebook page (things I would look at would be how many friends, unique posts, photos, family members listed, work history, etc.).

I don't think that accounts being bought and sold is in any way good for the bitcoin community, but I don't necessarily think that prohibiting any type of exchange is a good idea either.

I think any account used to buy or sell accounts should get a scammer tag, but that the user in question should not be banned and the post should not be deleted or moderated.

Freedom of exchange is what bitcoin is all about. At least from my perspective. So telling people what they can or cannot buy or sell seems to be inherently against the fundamental principles of bitcoin.

I can't see an easy way to do it, but if there were some way that we could require all transactions involving buying or selling forum accounts to be public, so that everybody could see which accounts have been bought or sold and who owns them now, that would solve the issue--sure, you can buy and sell accounts all day, but they won't be much use to you if everybody knows that you bought them.

A properly secured wallet with bitcoin is in my opinion the safest, most secure, best all-around bet for holding wealth at this moment in history. Go ahead, call me crazy. They've been calling me crazy since 2013.
https://churchofbitcoin.org/
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:35:14 PM

If I were going to enter a transaction with anybody from the forum I would need to know their real name and be confident that they really are who they say they are. A facebook page would usually be enough for me to feel comfortable, as I think it would be very difficult to convincingly fake a facebook page (things I would look at would be how many friends, unique posts, photos, family members listed, work history, etc.).

I don't think that accounts being bought and sold is in any way good for the bitcoin community, but I don't necessarily think that prohibiting any type of exchange is a good idea either.

I think any account used to buy or sell accounts should get a scammer tag, but that the user in question should not be banned and the post should not be deleted or moderated.

Freedom of exchange is what bitcoin is all about. At least from my perspective. So telling people what they can or cannot buy or sell seems to be inherently against the fundamental principles of bitcoin.

I can't see an easy way to do it, but if there were some way that we could require all transactions involving buying or selling forum accounts to be public, so that everybody could see which accounts have been bought or sold and who owns them now, that would solve the issue--sure, you can buy and sell accounts all day, but they won't be much use to you if everybody knows that you bought them.

I disagree,
The community at large is allowing this.

According to the forum stats, they are about 136,000 accounts, let's say 75% are fake or dead, that is 34,000 people that could rise up and demand that these scumbags be chased off our land.

If only 1% of us that are on this forum (~340) people speak up about this to the mods/owners and refuse to allow this type of behavior they will have no choice but to do something about it.

Theymos and the rest of the mods should be ashamed of themselves.

I want bitcoin to succeed in a huge way, but with these types of people running and ruining what we have,  I am starting to doubt it.
fildza

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 04:41:20 PM

Try make a vote first. I dont think all people dissagree the account can be bought or sold

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 05:01:53 PM

Try make a vote first. I dont think all people dissagree the account can be bought or sold

what?
The mods/theymos have said numerous times that buying and selling accounts are NOT against TOS.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 05:28:27 PM

Please publicly disclose all of the accounts that you have bought and or sold
What's your problem?
I've stated clearly in every post here that this is a thing I considered but didn't do.
Now apologise or this discussion ends here.

bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:25:22 PM

Please publicly disclose all of the accounts that you have bought and or sold
What's your problem?
I've stated clearly in every post here that this is a thing I considered but didn't do.
Now apologise or this discussion ends here.

What would you like me to apologize for trying to make this place better than it is by calling out people such as yourself?

The fact that you even considered purchasing fake accounts to then sell to your customers points directly at your character or lack thereof. May I remind you that I started this thread and YOU choose to admit your details to us.
HenryRomp

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 07:06:22 PM

I disagree,
The community at large is allowing this.

According to the forum stats, they are about 136,000 accounts, let's say 75% are fake or dead, that is 34,000 people that could rise up and demand that these scumbags be chased off our land.

If only 1% of us that are on this forum (~340) people speak up about this to the mods/owners and refuse to allow this type of behavior they will have no choice but to do something about it.

Theymos and the rest of the mods should be ashamed of themselves.

I want bitcoin to succeed in a huge way, but with these types of people running and ruining what we have,  I am starting to doubt it.

The community at large is allowing this, and I can see why. In a very big way, bitcoin is about freedom of exchange. Telling people what they can and can't buy or sell goes against this in a fundamental way. I think the marketplace here shouldn't have any terms regarding what can and can't be bought or sold. So I am against banning the sale of accounts.

However, I think buying or selling accounts is clearly either condoning, encouraging, or preparing to engage in, scamming.

Therefore, I think anybody buying or selling accounts should get a scammer tag, but that the buying and selling of accounts should not be prohibited by the TOS or result in a ban of the user, and the thread with the attempted sale should not be deleted or locked.

A properly secured wallet with bitcoin is in my opinion the safest, most secure, best all-around bet for holding wealth at this moment in history. Go ahead, call me crazy. They've been calling me crazy since 2013.
cabinetmaker

Activity: 92

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 07:43:16 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2013, 08:13:24 PM by cabinetmaker

bottom line, smart ass moderators, read this and eat it.......
don't sell my stuff or I will come the fuck after your ass in court.
MY personal information is NOT for sale and I did not give you permission to pull that shit, in the first place and you cannot ASSUME permission, according to the federal courts.

And THIS will attest to the fact that any permission(s) I may have given by signing up on this stupid motherfucking newbie shit site..., are hereby revoked, period, end of sentence, picture taken and put in the file, for court reference, and I took the picture while it was posted on YOUR site. so you can take it off all you want, I have the picture of it POSTED!!!!! (and take note, if you do this, have a newspaper with the date on it next to your picture, so it can't be faked. If you want to have more proof, then hold your thumb print up next to the picture. (not the one you post...black that out....just use the screen pic. The newspaper pic will do fine.)

how's that for permission to do jack shit with my information and/or account, period!!!

everyone who reads this should post the exact same message from YOUR account.
There is nothing they can do about it, period, except kick you off, and then they show the scam as real.

any one person gets kicked off for this, should log back on as another newbie and post that.
That will show us the real scammers.

I personally find it absolutely revolting that any soite would sell my name to another and NOT pay ME for it.
It is MY name, MY log on, MY account, and MY  everything, NOT yours, assholes.
You DUMBASSES wouldn't even know it existed if we didn't come up with the account  names, therefore, unless YOU assign names, (which you can't...think I would take the name YOU gave me?...fuck you) they are copyrighted to US and not YOU and therefore you break the fucking FEDERAL law by doing this and will bring the feds down even faster than they are now.
MY shit is MY shit, not yours to do  with what ever the fuck you think you can do with it. MY accounts are MY accounts, and unless you are going the fuck out of business and make a block sale of ALL names that you are NO LONGER going to use and shut down your site, the by god, you had better not be selling others people's identities, non matter WHAT they are.
But hey, dipshit, we can take this to court and find out, and at the same time we can bring the feds down on ALL BTC accounting in the US,  period.
How's that?

and, smart ass, yes I do know about copyrights and have been on court several times, and won every "motherfucking" time.
He who writes it, owns it, and there isn't jack shit you can do about it.
MY name, etc is (C)copyrighted to me,  period. You may NOT ever assume ownership, period, assholes.
I write programs for major oil companies and  other corporations, so everything I do is copyrighted, period and you don't get them by default and you can't have them just because you say so, and by god you had better not sell them in any form or fashion, uinless "I" get the ,money, period!!!!! end of tale.
Get my drift, smartass? That's MY money you are making, not yours. "I" own them , not you.
No one gave YOU permission to do jack shit with MY intelectual property, asswipe.

as the comedian says:
"here's your sign"  "STUPID"

these idoits had better go read copyright law. YOU come up with it, it is YOURS and by selling oit to anyone they have violated copyright law, as the name would not exost, if not for YOU coming up with it, and the stupid assed moderators, are NOT going to come up with YOUR name randomly or by chance, period.
eat shit and die, stupid ,moderators. And you better get a copyright lawyer.
How can you sell a name that doesn't exist before WE come up with it, dipishit?
answer: YOU CAN'T
cabinetmaker

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 07:55:15 PM

lohoris, then stop the forum asshole.
who are you god?
You want to threaten people?
Go ahead and show us all how much of a scumbucket you really are by doing this shit.
do you think there aren't any other forums we will tell everyone about you?
NOT!!!
do you think we will let you get away with it?
NOT!!!!!
do you think everyone is stupid excepot YOU?
NOT!!! you are probably stupider than anyone else on the forum. Probably stupider than even me.

go ahead, jerk off, close this and delete it, we'll start it again, and again, and again.
I take your fucking challenge.
I do NOT take shit back.
How do you like that asshole scumbucket.
Did the other newbie get your ass in a  bind? by telling the truth?

shitheads like YOU keep this shit up with the threats and you can bet your ass btc will become the next scam news story. and everyone looses.

jerk off.

fuck with someone else, asshole.

WE like the truth, not buillshit from people like you. And people like me don't give a goddamned rats ass who you think you are,period.

YOU KNOW yuo do not have permission to pull your shit. Not now, not ever, according to the courts.
and the courts seem to been ruling these days. YOU LOOSE.

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:35:20 PM

What would you like me to apologize for trying to make this place better than it is by calling out people such as yourself?

The fact that you even considered purchasing fake accounts to then sell to your customers points directly at your character or lack thereof. May I remind you that I started this thread and YOU choose to admit your details to us.
I explained clearly that I wouldn't have done this in secret, not deceiving anyone, nor trading stolen accounts, but you chose to ignore that and accuse me anyway.

You are the worst kind of liar.

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:36:32 PM

lohoris, then stop the forum asshole.
who are you god?
You want to threaten people?
Go ahead and show us all how much of a scumbucket you really are by doing this shit.
do you think there aren't any other forums we will tell everyone about you?
NOT!!!
do you think we will let you get away with it?
NOT!!!!!
do you think everyone is stupid excepot YOU?
NOT!!! you are probably stupider than anyone else on the forum. Probably stupider than even me.

go ahead, jerk off, close this and delete it, we'll start it again, and again, and again.
I take your fucking challenge.
I do NOT take shit back.
How do you like that asshole scumbucket.
Did the other newbie get your ass in a  bind? by telling the truth?

shitheads like YOU keep this shit up with the threats and you can bet your ass btc will become the next scam news story. and everyone looses.

jerk off.

fuck with someone else, asshole.

WE like the truth, not buillshit from people like you. And people like me don't give a goddamned rats ass who you think you are,period.

YOU KNOW yuo do not have permission to pull your shit. Not now, not ever, according to the courts.
and the courts seem to been ruling these days. YOU LOOSE.

wtf is this?

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:37:12 PM

MY personal information is NOT for sale and I did not give you permission to pull that shit, in the first place and you cannot ASSUME permission, according to the federal courts.

And THIS will attest to the fact that any permission(s) I may have given by signing up on this stupid motherfucking newbie shit site..., are hereby revoked, period, end of sentence, picture taken and put in the file, for court reference, and I took the picture while it was posted on YOUR site. so you can take it off all you want, I have the picture of it POSTED!!!!! (and take note, if you do this, have a newspaper with the date on it next to your picture, so it can't be faked. If you want to have more proof, then hold your thumb print up next to the picture. (not the one you post...black that out....just use the screen pic. The newspaper pic will do fine.)

how's that for permission to do jack shit with my information and/or account, period!!!

There is nothing they can do about it, period, except kick you off, and then they show the scam as real.

any one person gets kicked off for this, should log back on as another newbie and post that.

I personally find it absolutely revolting that any soite would sell my name to another and NOT pay ME for it.
You DUMBASSES wouldn't even know it existed if we didn't come up with the account  names, therefore, unless YOU assign names, (which you can't...think I would take the name YOU gave me?...fuck you) they are copyrighted to US and not YOU and therefore you break the fucking FEDERAL law by doing this and will bring the feds down even faster than they are now.
MY shit is MY shit, not yours to do  with what ever the fuck you think you can do with it. MY accounts are MY accounts, and unless you are going the fuck out of business and make a block sale of ALL names that you are NO LONGER going to use and shut down your site, the by god, you had better not be selling others people's identities, non matter WHAT they are.
But hey, dipshit, we can take this to court and find out, and at the same time we can bring the feds down on ALL BTC accounting in the US,  period.
How's that?

and, smart ass, yes I do know about copyrights and have been on court several times, and won every "motherfucking" time.
MY name, etc is (C)copyrighted to me,  period. You may NOT ever assume ownership, period, assholes.
I write programs for major oil companies and  other corporations, so everything I do is copyrighted, period and you don't get them by default and you can't have them just because you say so, and by god you had better not sell them in any form or fashion, uinless "I" get the ,money, period!!!!! end of tale.
Get my drift, smartass? That's MY money you are making, not yours. "I" own them , not you.
No one gave YOU permission to do jack shit with MY intelectual property, asswipe.

as the comedian says:

these idoits had better go read copyright law. YOU come up with it, it is YOURS and by selling oit to anyone they have violated copyright law, as the name would not exost, if not for YOU coming up with it, and the stupid assed moderators, are NOT going to come up with YOUR name randomly or by chance, period.

quote for posterity, not even bothering to read it.

bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:56:18 PM

I explained clearly that I wouldn't have done this in secret, not deceiving anyone, nor trading stolen accounts, but you chose to ignore that and accuse me anyway.

You are the worst kind of liar.

lohoris,
Please re-read what I wrote before getting your panties in a bunch, I am not accusing you of anything.
You are clearly feeling guilty of something, go ahead confess your sins.
EscrowBTC

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 12:04:01 AM

My opinion?

Buying and selling accounts shouldn't be allowed Sad

The accounts must be unique!
fildza

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 12:21:02 AM

what?
The mods/theymos have said numerous times that buying and selling accounts are NOT against TOS.
I agree with mode but the bluefin person have the problem. He think many people dont agree it. We can get income in exchange help people to get more activity with sold our acount to them

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
HenryRomp

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 01:05:27 AM

How's that?

as the comedian says:

cabinetmaker,

You're really missing something here. We're not talking about forum mods selling your account to somebody else. We're talking about you deciding to sell your own account (or accounts) to somebody else.  Tongue

fildza

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 01:08:54 AM

How's that?

as the comedian says:

cabinetmaker,

You're really missing something here. We're not talking about forum mods selling your account to somebody else. We're talking about you deciding to sell your own account (or accounts) to somebody else.  Tongue
He really misunderstanding this

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
[Tycho]

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 01:11:09 AM

Hundreds of meaningless messages in the russian newbie section were disturbing.
I think that someone was doing this to sell "non-newbie" accounts in bulk later.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 01:12:04 AM

Mods don't sent the rules, we enforce them.  Talk to theymos if you want to know about the rules and why they are the way they are.
HenryRomp

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 01:47:33 AM

Mods don't sent the rules, we enforce them.  Talk to theymos if you want to know about the rules and why they are the way they are.

Has theymos or any other mod publicly commented on this rule (or lack thereof)? Is there any "official" thread in which the moderators position on this issue is put forth?

I have utilized the forum search feature--perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see one particular post or thread that seemed to officially address this and lay out the moderator's official stance. Then again, there were many posts and threads on the subject, and I didn't review them all, so perhaps I missed the one which contains the official statement.

bolasoda

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:02:27 AM

Brand new on the board here but it seems to me like you shouldn't be allowed to purchase a hacked or abandoned or sold/aged account, heck you can't even delete your own account for the protection of users down the line.

No other forum of this size allows accounts to be sold or purchased and if they are or are found out to be then they are banned and deleted or at least tagged in someway so that other users know about it.

If the mods and owners are allowing this activity to happen then they are at the very least, complicit in the scams, extortion, blackmailing and theft that is rampant throughout this forum.

How can you guys allow this activity?

The only reason someone would buy accounts is not necessarily to scam people. They could also want it for advertising purposes. But mostly, it is because the admin allows it.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:02:51 AM

I messaged theymos about it and was told that he is not wiling to do anything about it at this time

ivanlabrie

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:18:31 AM

I'm erasing my pm's and changing all info that links back to me...it's ridiculous that something like this is allowed.
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:48:15 AM

Has theymos or any other mod publicly commented on this rule (or lack thereof)? Is there any "official" thread in which the moderators position on this issue is put forth?

Publicly commented on what?  Account selling?  If that's the question, AFAIK it's allowed.  Don't feel like finding the post where theymos said it was, but I've never heard/seen otherwise.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:00:15 AM

I hope relatively smart people will see that Bitcointalk, the scammy forum that allows scammers, spammers and thieves to run rampant, is not Bitcoin, the currency.
HenryRomp

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 05:39:11 AM

I'm erasing my pm's and changing all info that links back to me...it's ridiculous that something like this is allowed.

Again clearly misunderstanding the topic. Nobody can buy or sell your account except YOU. The question being brought up is whether it is moral or acceptable to allow YOU to sell YOUR account.

Publicly commented on what?  Account selling?  If that's the question, AFAIK it's allowed.  Don't feel like finding the post where theymos said it was, but I've never heard/seen otherwise.

I'm aware that it's allowed. I was hoping to find a post (and I will spend more time searching for one) that states the official position with hopefully some explanation and reasoning behind it. I think that it's the right decision (to allow account selling) but that without explaining why allowing this activity is necessary, people will have strong negative reactions and see it as supporting scamming.

I also think that some steps should be taken to identify those who sell accounts, i.e. a scammer tag, as they are encouraging/supporting immoral behavior.

HenryRomp

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 05:56:36 AM

This thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=132038.0 has a lot of interesting information on the subject. Apparently selling accounts is O.K., but not if there is any indication that you obtained them illegitimately.

It would be really nice if there were a sticky somewhere that laid out the official forum policy regarding buying and selling of accounts. Seems like an issue that matters to enough people that it ought to be addressed in some manner that won't require reading through 15 pages of posts.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 06:11:57 AM

How's that?

as the comedian says:

I love this post, nothing better than people getting all bent out of shape just because they're too dumb to read what they're responding too.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
fildza

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 06:15:33 AM

I agree with you. Long sentence to read

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 08:25:50 AM

I also think that some steps should be taken to identify those who sell accounts, i.e. a scammer tag, as they are encouraging/supporting immoral behavior.
Uh?

If it's allowed, it's... allowed?

"Yes you can do it but you'll get scammer-tagged" is WTF.

HenryRomp

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 09:44:09 AM

Uh?

In a word, no.

A scammer tag is not a ban. If somebody is tagged as a scammer, you are still free to engage in trade with them if you choose, and they are still free to post on the forum (as far as I know).

As far as I can see this forum doesn't really do much to stop scammers, aside from educating individuals to help them learn how to spot scammers themselves and how to follow good practices (like using escrow) to avoid getting scammed. As far as banning scammers it seems like a very small percentage of them get banned and for the most part the forum mods turn the other cheek. They pay a lot more attention to trolls than scammers.

zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:56:42 AM

I asked theymos about that and he said there is nothing he can do about it 

I replied saying its un true and the only reason he wold protect the scammers is if they were paying him off and I never got a reply from him

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:05:46 AM

Uh?

In a word, no.

A scammer tag is not a ban. If somebody is tagged as a scammer
You know what a scammer is, right?

Why on Earth should doing something legit lead you to get a scammer tag?
Why on Earth should I do it anyway if I was then labeled (incorrectly) as a scammer?
Why am I even having this conversation? It makes no sense at all, wtf.

ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1811
Merit: 2715

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 10:53:57 AM

I would assume there is another forum around the corner for bitcoiners... this forum, unjustly, leaves a bad taste in my mouth towards BTC, and I am sure the mouths of others when it comes to the 'bitcoin community', which extends beyond this forum.

I would have questioned ever setting up this forum account had I have known some of the things that were allowed here... I guess I never assumed that if something isn't explicitly condemned, it is completely allowed. I am pretty sure someone could murder someone on this forum, have tangible evidence of it, and the mods would leave the accounts intact because nowhere on this forum does it say you cannot murder someone!

The primary rule that should be established is that there are no morals here on this forum. Morals exist within different cultures and everyone sees their own morals as correct. It seems like the mods are trying to stick to the 'free/open market' by allowing everything. I have come to determine morals do not exist in the administration of this forum.

That's not to say theymos himself doesn't have morals, I can't say if he/she does or does not... I can't even say if theymos is the same person that theymos always has been... the account could have switched hands/sold/etc 10 times for all I know. It could be run/maintained by small group of people... who knows!

As a side note, I find it interesting that people always complain about people spreading 'FUD'... yet this forum seems to be designed to house & nurture FUD.  Huh

Why am I here then?  Where else could I go?   forums.butterflylabs.com???   - a little too 'moderated' for me... and seems to be more of a sales/support forum... there doesn't seem to be a middle ground or any competition to select from. Monopoly!  Grin

I feel like there is a large group of people that would easily migrate somewhere else if a popular forum started to emerge that had some sense of morals.

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 06:30:38 PM

Why am I here then?  Where else could I go?   forums.butterflylabs.com???   - a little too 'moderated' for me... and seems to be more of a sales/support forum... there doesn't seem to be a middle ground or any competition to select from. Monopoly!  Grin

Probably not a great idea to leave a forum that merely contains scammers to a forum actually run by scammers.
NoDisco

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:11:28 PM

I hoped to join and talk with people about bitcoin, but the entire newbies section is full of scams and people trying to exploit newbies.

It's like those people who hang around outside train stations in major cities, looking for innocent people getting off the trains from the stix to exploit.

Wish I'd known about this 3 years ago, when there was interesting people with a few ounces of morals on here.

Satoshi probably started to see this and that's why he moved on. Not nice when your baby turns into a whore.
RangerTwentyTwo

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:21:58 PM

I just think you need to take it as a fact, the admins allow it and that is all? Just my two cents!
bluefin (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 11:44:29 PM

I just think you need to take it as a fact, the admins allow it and that is all? Just my two cents!

We don't need to take it as fact, the admins are not the forum, we are, the users, without us this forum is nothing.

The admins allow it because we allow it, well I for one am not going to stand for it and neither should you.

Why should we stoop to the criminals and douche bags of this world, we don't have to, we can stand up and fight for this place to be better.

We all know that the criminals here are just bully's, stand up to them and they will sulk off to somewhere else.

We are making it easy for them to stay here, we don't have to allow this behavior, they should move, on not us.
cabinetmaker

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:10:49 AM

I know this is an old thread, but bluefin.....Hurray for you.

You bet your ass you're right.

I don't remember anything about signing up on this forum about letting anyone sell my information.
It isn't for sale Mr Moderator.

some one send me a list they sold and I'll take it to the courts and straighten their ass out.

I can always find the owner of the site and list all of their public and private information all over the internet, if they wish.
This would include names, addresses, children, prents, grand parents, cousins,  schools, work, etc, with work #'s, home #'s and we can all give them a call.
All you need is one to start with.

hear that Mr Moderator?

once a thief, always a thief.
What do you think they do on their mining sites if they pull that shit here?
The same god-damned shit.

"I just think you need to take it as a fact, the admins allow it and that is all? Just my two cents!"

and should we just understand that by joining this forum we  have given them the right to just walk into our houses and steal all of our shit, too?
How fucking stupid are you?

They can't IMPLY shit!!!!!!!!!!!!
It had better be in fucking writing with MY signature on it. Probably notorized, too.
I gave you NO rights to ANY of MY property, dickhead moderators.
If you think I did, PLEASE take me to court. I'll take every single motherfucking crytocoin you have and then some.

tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:27:26 PM

I know this is an old thread, but bluefin.....Hurray for you.

You bet your ass you're right.

I don't remember anything about signing up on this forum about letting anyone sell my information.
It isn't for sale Mr Moderator.

some one send me a list they sold and I'll take it to the courts and straighten their ass out.

I can always find the owner of the site and list all of their public and private information all over the internet, if they wish.
This would include names, addresses, children, prents, grand parents, cousins,  schools, work, etc, with work #'s, home #'s and we can all give them a call.
All you need is one to start with.

hear that Mr Moderator?

once a thief, always a thief.
What do you think they do on their mining sites if they pull that shit here?
The same god-damned shit.

"I just think you need to take it as a fact, the admins allow it and that is all? Just my two cents!"

and should we just understand that by joining this forum we  have given them the right to just walk into our houses and steal all of our shit, too?
How fucking stupid are you?

They can't IMPLY shit!!!!!!!!!!!!
It had better be in fucking writing with MY signature on it. Probably notorized, too.
I gave you NO rights to ANY of MY property, dickhead moderators.
If you think I did, PLEASE take me to court. I'll take every single motherfucking crytocoin you have and then some.

I think you misunderstood what's going on.  No one is going to take your account and sell it, YOU'RE allowed to sell your account if you want or buy a different one.
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:35:40 PM

Uh?

yes many spammers and hackers will enjoy this and this forum will be spammers and cheaters forum for bitcoins

habeel

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:17:04 PM

Wow to openly allow people to sell their accounts while the rest of the forums rely on that to form trust does sound a bit ridiculous. I think a scammer tag is too extreme but some other kind of tagging should help prevent people from using these accounts for scam.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:12:34 PM

Wow to openly allow people to sell their accounts while the rest of the forums rely on that to form trust does sound a bit ridiculous.
This doesn't work.

Trust can only be positive, not negative, since if you get a negative trust you may easily start from scratch with a new account.

Hence, the practice of selling accounts have almost no weigth on trust.

Sure, you could object that someone with positive trust could sell his account, but it would take just a single scam to drop it to zero, and most people wouldn't like to have their name associated with something like that.

So, again, your line of reasoning is wrong, sorry.

DodoB

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:29:25 PM

Why not? i dont see a valid reason to prevent it.
cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 01:57:02 PM

Cause its too hard to catch them. So might as well allow it Smiley Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: