Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:55:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linuxcoin + Smartcoin  (Read 1769 times)
Jessi (OP)

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 09:11:00 AM

Hi there,
I am a noob in linux. Anyway I managed an persistand installation of linuxcoin 2.1a and got it working fine.

But now I´ve got some questions which maybe answered from some linux-experts.  Wink

I've seen that there is a new version of linuxcoin and smartcoin.
What I want to do now, is to make a persistant installation of the new linuxcoin. Then it should autostart AMDOverdriveCtrl and set my profiles.
After this it should start smartcoin which immediatly should begin to mining.
Also the remote desktop should be active from the beginning.

Because I don't have any idea how to manage such complex things by using linux, I need some little help.

I tried to open AMDOverdriveCtrl by using a script but this was working only 1 time. Because of 6 GPUs I need it 6 times...
How can I start now AMDOverdriveCtrl six times instead of only once?
Also it does not find the AMDOverdriveCtrl profile which I saved before. Should it placed in a special path?

I am missing for such things the "startup"-folder of my windows.  Grin
So how can I autostart this script and also remote desktop and after all is startet smartcoin?

The idea behind all the above is, that I don't have a display connected to my mining rig and also it should be placed somewehere where it does not disturb anyone. If it hangs, I would like to touch the reset button and it should restart immediatly. For special things I would use then remote desktop.

Are you guys able to help me out with a little script?  Kiss

www.Bitcoin-Tools.de - Price Alert & Calculator [OUTDATED!]
A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 03:44:49 PM

No one?  Cry

A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
rogerdv

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 03:56:39 PM

what linux distro are you using? You can start any script after the boot process is finishing by using /etc/rc.d/rc.local (in Centos, but it is pretty similar in Gentoo). You can execut thre same scrit 6 times, if needed and you program supports running several instances.
Check the app parameters, maybe you can supply the config file
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 04:02:01 PM

Thanks for your answer. About the distro: On the linuxcoin page the Author is writing: "LinuxCoin v0.2b is a small Debian Wheezy based OS created just for the bitcoin community."

pletoss

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 04:13:42 PM

Hi,

my guess is you just started all the AmdOverdriveCtrl processes one after the other, instead of in parallel, and they all await the other to finish. Could you please post your script for me to take a look?
KenJackson

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:23:01 PM

Also the remote desktop should be active from the beginning.
"Remote desktop" is a Windows thing.  Linux has a VNC server to do the approximate same thing.  On my Fedora Linux system, the package is named tigervnc-server.  It runs a "daemon" process named "vncserver" that listens for incoming requests just like equivalent Windows service.

But secure shell (SSH or OpenSSH) is even better than VNC in many ways.  The package is named "openssh" on Fedora and the daemon is "sshd".  It allows remote login to a shell, command-by-command execution, and even graphical application execution. 

So if I log into my remote host with the command "ssh host" (substituting the actual host name, of course) I can pop up a file manager window with "nautilus&" or "pcmanfm&", depending on what you have installed and prefer. (The optional ampersand "&" gives you back the command prompt while the window is displayed.)

Installation, package names and startup differ a little in each Linux distro and I've not used LinuxCoin.

I am missing for such things the "startup"-folder of my windows.  Grin
So how can I autostart this script and also remote desktop and after all is startet smartcoin?

Most software that runs on startup is a daemon that runs as root.  But from my brief look at smartcoin, I don't think it's setup to run as a daemon.  But you can use "cron", which will run a script for you anytime you want, whenever you want.  The best way to use it is to create a small text file like this, named crontab.txt
Code:
# Time fields:  minute, hour, day, month, day-of-week (0 or 7 is Sun)
57  *  * * *  $HOME/bin/check_start_startcoin

Then execute it with the command "crontab crontab.txt".  This example executes a script "check_start_smartcoin" (which you must create) every hour at 3 minutes till the hour.  Presumably it would check to see if smartcoin is running and start it if it's not.

Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 06:06:13 PM

Thanks for your replys.

There is some kind of VNC implemented in linuxcoin, but it does not run after restart. I have to start it manually, which does not work for me without a display...
I would prefer this, because I do not know how to use ssh.

This cronjobs... do they still work after a system-restart?

KenJackson

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 07:20:07 PM

I wondered why you didn't put a link to the Linuxcoin main project page, but apparently there isn't one.  That's scary.  DistroWatch is the generally acknowledged authority on keeping track of the literally hundreds of Linux distros.  But they haven't even heard of it.  The closest thing to a project page I could find was this bitforum post.

That thread says it is "Debian based", which is what Ubuntu is.  So if you see instructions for different distros of Linux, the ones for Debian, Ubuntu or Mint will probably be more correct for you than Fedora, OpenSUSE or Arch.  A great many things are identical in all Linux distros, but package installation differs perhaps most of all.

If VNC doesn't start up automatically, it may not be installed.  Try something like these commands as root:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install tightvncserver
apt-get-install vnc-server

As for cron, yes.  Cron is a daemon that the system starts on boot.  Once you've given it your cron table, it will execute the entries at their appointed times even after rebooting.
Nivco

Activity: 29

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 09:28:05 PM

LinuxCoin is a very light distro only designed for mining. I gave it a try, not much result tho' (kinda nothing actually, never got it to work)
Great concept, still need improvement imho.
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 10:25:15 PM

Linuxcoin-Project can be find here:http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7374.0

Anyway there is vino included which is running well, but it does not autostart and I'm just seeking a solution how to get it startet.
Maybe with cron job, too?

But how can I load AMDOverdriveCtrl by a script and how can I get the profiles in there? I've seen some scripts, but they are not working for me, because I do not know where to place the profiles first...

Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 10:26:45 PM

Linuxcoin-Project can be find here:http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7374.0

Anyway there is vino included which is running well, but it does not autostart and I'm just seeking a solution how to get it startet.
Maybe with cron job, too?

But how can I load AMDOverdriveCtrl by a script and how can I get the profiles in there? I've seen some scripts, but they are not working for me, because I do not know where to place the profiles first...
For me it's running really good. I do not know very much about linux and therefore I would like to know how to work with scripts like described in my posting...

pixilated8

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:35:16 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2011, 11:48:34 PM by pixilated8

First click Start -> Accessories -> Root Terminal

Now type "AMDOverDriveCtrl --help | grep active" (Hint, type Shift-A and then hit the tab key to autocomplete the rest of it).
A list of active adapter indexes will show up.  Replace "1stIndex" and "2ndIndex" below with these values.

Now create a script called "allOverdriveCtrl" (or whatever) by:
Code:
root@linuxcoin:/home/user# nano allOverdriveCtrl (starts a text editor, enter the following)
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/AMDOverdriveCtrl -i 1stIndex &
/usr/bin/AMDOverdriveCtrl -i 2ndIndex &

Ctrl-O [Enter] (to save)
Ctrl-X (to quit)

root@linuxcoin:/home/user# chmod 755 allOverdriveCtrl (this makes it an executable)
root@linuxcoin:/home/user# ./allOverdriveCtrl (this should open up two instances of AMDOverDriveCtrl, one for each index)
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 11:40:02 PM

Thank you!! That's what I am looking for... Smiley

How can I load a profile which I have saved before? I know that it is possible, but the pathes where the profile has to be put make me confous...

pixilated8

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:50:19 PM

Thank you!! That's what I am looking for... Smiley

How can I load a profile which I have saved before? I know that it is possible, but the pathes where the profile has to be put make me confous...

Please note, I made some changes to the script.  So if what you typed in doesn't work at first, please note that I made some changes.

As for profiles, I'm not sure yet.  I'm still working on it myself Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: