Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:18:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to run a wallet  (Read 129 times)
usmanov123 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

Chikuntv

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 03:28:39 PM

I've been reading notsofast's article  about security. He said the safest way to run an altcoin wallet is to compile an open source code. Any guides how to do it? Is it called to run a client from a command line?
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 03:42:10 PM

I've been reading notsofast's article  about security. He said the safest way to run an altcoin wallet is to compile an open source code. Any guides how to do it? Is it called to run a client from a command line?

You can compile a wallet in ubuntu/linux pretty easily. It gets a little bit more interesting in windows though.

Simply google something along the lines of "Compiling bitcoin core from source {operating system X}".

https://bitzuma.com/posts/compile-bitcoin-core-from-source-on-ubuntu/

If you're on windows you'll probably want to use something like MinGW

You're probably looking for something like this, https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/587/how-do-i-build-bitcoin-source-in-windows-7

bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 03:42:46 PM

I've been reading notsofast's article  about security. He said the safest way to run an altcoin wallet is to compile an open source code. Any guides how to do it? Is it called to run a client from a command line?
Not exactly. Compiling means turning the source code (the written commands) into machine readable code that a computer can run efficiently. It does involve typing a number of commands at your shell prompt, but you only compile a program once, after which you can run it any way you want. Compiling your own software is considered safer than running binaries compiled by others because the latter are more difficult to examine for back doors and other malicious features.

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:07:39 PM

He said the safest way to run an altcoin wallet is to compile an open source code. Any guides how to do it?

Even if you downloaded the source code, there's no guarantee that the code hasn't been tampered with. So, you would also have to verify the signature of the code. Especially given the countless altcoin wallets out there, you never know what to expect. Also pay special attention to the URL where you are downloading the wallet software from. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: