Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:48:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please give us back the option to disable Sync on Power  (Read 6369 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 12:08:11 AM

I've never tried because I think it's worth to invest 1 MB of my 200 MB monthly mobile quota in being synched with the chain as much as possible. But since you're so convinced about the usecase - why don't you try?

I wish it was that light on data. At this moment, Android is showing Bitcoin has downloaded 5.65MB out of the 66MB so far this billing cycle. That's a little heavy for a limited data plan. It's really painful when I go roaming internationally.

Buy & Hold
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 07:43:35 AM

Any data at all is painful when roaming, that's why Android disables data access by default.

At the moment I'm showing about 4.5mb of data used so far in August, so that doesn't sound totally off the mark. It could probably be optimised further, it's just never been a focus. What kind of data plan do you have? I guess most people have between 500-1000mb per month these days, on contract, so about 5mb would be 0.5%-1% of total transfer usage. Again, it could be improved, but there are bigger problems with the app right now.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 05:08:53 PM

Any data at all is painful when roaming, that's why Android disables data access by default.

Ok, for this use case, restricting background data would do it. It doesn't eliminate wifi usage, but that isn't as important. I just have to remember to disable background data for bitcoin when I go roaming.

At the moment I'm showing about 4.5mb of data used so far in August, so that doesn't sound totally off the mark. It could probably be optimised further, it's just never been a focus. What kind of data plan do you have? I guess most people have between 500-1000mb per month these days, on contract, so about 5mb would be 0.5%-1% of total transfer usage. Again, it could be improved, but there are bigger problems with the app right now.

A basic AT&T data plan is 300 MB.

Buy & Hold
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 08:51:19 AM

OK, I can see that 5 of 300 is getting into the zone where one might care, although it's still a small amount. Android does let you restrict data on mobile only, at least the version I have does. On the app specific data usage screen there is a check box at the bottom which says "restrict background usage on mobile networks". Perhaps it's a jellybean feature though? Not sure.
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:19:24 AM

Quote from: Mike Hearn link=topic=260719.msg2997603#msg2997603 603#msg2997603 date=1377334279
OK, I can see that 5 of 300 is getting into the zone where one might care, although it's still a small amount. Android does let you restrict data on mobile only, at least the version I have does. On the app specific data usage screen there is a check box at the bottom which says "restrict background usage on mobile networks". Perhaps it's a jellybean feature though? Not sure.

I turned off mobile data today for the app and it used 53% of my battery.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 04:04:25 PM

Quote from: Mike Hearn link=topic=260719.msg2997603#msg2997603 603#msg2997603 date=1377334279

I turned off mobile data today for the app and it used 53% of my battery.

Would you like to send me your logs so I can look up exactly what consumed your battery? Use Options > Settings > Report issue. Please refer to this post in the description.
Krellan (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 08:18:44 AM

Would you like to send me your logs so I can look up exactly what consumed your battery? Use Options > Settings > Report issue. Please refer to this post in the description.

A few days ago, I found it taking a mere 64% of my battery!

Here's screenshots:

Unfortunately, didn't know about the "Report Issue" feature at the time this happened.

I've rebooted the phone several times since then, though, and it didn't happen again!

Josh

1JUZr4TZ5zuB4WdEv4mrhZMaM7yttpJvLG Smiley
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:29:38 AM

Well, the report feature can report up to 7 days worth of logs. So if you know the exact date it might be worth to report nevertheless.
Krellan (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:29:42 AM

Well, the report feature can report up to 7 days worth of logs. So if you know the exact date it might be worth to report nevertheless.

Thanks.  It happened on September 4, as per the timestamp on the screenshot photo.

Unfortunately, I can't find how to send a report.

In the phone's "Application manager", on the main "App info" screen that was in my earlier screenshot, the button that was previously labeled "Report" is now labeled "Uninstall"!  I tried to go to "Battery" but Bitcoin doesn't show up in the list (it is being very well-behaved now, because I'm on a fast Wi-Fi connection so it can complete its periodic sync quickly).  So, I can't send a report from the Battery screen, which I should have done from that screenshot!

I was able to send another kind of report by going to the "Active apps" tab of "Application manager", selecting Bitcoin, then the service "BlockchainServiceImpl" had a "Report" button.  I did this.  Don't know if it will help, though.

Is there a way to force Android to always enable the "Report" button, for apps of interest?

Josh

1JUZr4TZ5zuB4WdEv4mrhZMaM7yttpJvLG Smiley
twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:10:17 PM

Unfortunately, I can't find how to send a report.

Report Issue is a button on the In-App settings page.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
Orbixx

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 07:48:23 PM

Exactly what is so undesirable about including an option to turn off sync completely unless the Bitcoin app intent has onscreen focus?

This is clearly a sought-after feature for numerous reasons, including battery life. Just briefly outline the consequence of not having a frequently updated blockchain. I don't even mind if you refuse to provide support for people with sync turned off.

It's the only reason I do not have this app installed.
khepri66

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 11:26:32 AM

Sorry to dig up this thread but I just started up an older device and this app decided burn through 200mb. Nice one. It's not like that's 20% of my quota or anything.

Exactly what is so undesirable about including an option to turn off sync completely unless the Bitcoin app intent has onscreen focus?

This is clearly a sought-after feature for numerous reasons, including battery life. Just briefly outline the consequence of not having a frequently updated blockchain. I don't even mind if you refuse to provide support for people with sync turned off.

It's the only reason I do not have this app installed.

At least one altcoin fork has had this feature (plus a disconnect button!) from the beginning, and it works just fine. It's clear that there's no real reason why it can't exist other than developer arrogance.

I'm honestly undecided on my favorite part of the thread. Is it the developer autistically responding to the wording of a user's comment while completely missing the point, or the part where the app used 60% battery with background data disabled, or the simple fact that the developer literally cannot understand how a user might be willing to accept the tradeoff of no sync?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: