Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:52:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Official] Message from the Montreal Bitcoin Embassy  (Read 9088 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 06:35:20 AM

Hi jedunnigan,

Thanks for your comment, I've made some research on that. I have a question for you (and others who are native anglophones). Is the term "embassy" is ever used in english in a context other than political?

It's because in french, "Ambassade" is mainly political, but can also be used in a way like Jake.Hobson said. In many dictionaries, they also confirm this second meaning in french. But I've been looking in english dictionaries, and I have a hard time finding that second meaning for "Embassy" in english. Maybe something has been "lost in translation" here?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about "Ambassadeur"/"Ambassador" here, they have the same meaning in both languages.

Thank you for your input.

I have seen it used a few times in contexts not politically motivated, but even then it is usually nation-state centric. Unfortunately that is not where the issue with the usage lies in my opinion--embassy implies an official representation of some thing, in this case Bitcoin, which it could not be for the reasons I mentioned earlier. This could be argued to be a matter of opinion, so we may not agree on this point. But I had to say my peace.

This is more like a community center, not an embassy--that should give you context for what types of names I feel are more appropriate.

jedunnigan is just jealous their isn't a Bitcoin Embassy in his area...  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:33:20 PM

Hi jedunnigan,

Thanks for your comment, I've made some research on that. I have a question for you (and others who are native anglophones). Is the term "embassy" is ever used in english in a context other than political?

It's because in french, "Ambassade" is mainly political, but can also be used in a way like Jake.Hobson said. In many dictionaries, they also confirm this second meaning in french. But I've been looking in english dictionaries, and I have a hard time finding that second meaning for "Embassy" in english. Maybe something has been "lost in translation" here?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about "Ambassadeur"/"Ambassador" here, they have the same meaning in both languages.

Thank you for your input.

I have seen it used a few times in contexts not politically motivated, but even then it is usually nation-state centric. Unfortunately that is not where the issue with the usage lies in my opinion--embassy implies an official representation of some thing, in this case Bitcoin, which it could not be for the reasons I mentioned earlier. This could be argued to be a matter of opinion, so we may not agree on this point. But I had to say my peace.

This is more like a community center, not an embassy--that should give you context for what types of names I feel are more appropriate.

jedunnigan is just jealous their isn't a Bitcoin Embassy in his area...  Cheesy

Haha no we have Bitcoin NYC, satoshi square etc.. Smiley Bitcoin Monday - Friday Wink We are working on getting an official space.

I'm just offering my perspective. If I thought it, just imagine how many others might too, many of whom will be unfamiliar with Bitcoin and could be confused. That's all I'm saying.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:20:47 PM

Any news. My work place is only 10 minutes walk to the embassy.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 02:55:28 AM

there will be a meetup on the 17th

Gyom
Donator

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 12:03:37 AM

For those who would like to follow the Embassy on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/bitcoinembassy
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 04:31:13 PM

there will be a meetup on the 17th

Count me in for the next meetup!
and of course, will get some copies of our catalog available for the embassy  Wink

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
Namworld

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:52:01 AM

I'd have to agree... I'd like the "Embassy" part dropped. I don't quite like it.
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 06:56:27 PM

Thanks to everyone who came for the meet-up. We hope you enjoyed it and that we will see you again.  Smiley

Also, we have a website available, it was a question I heard often during the meet-up. Here it is:
http://bitcoinembassy.ca/
Namworld

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:35:22 PM

Thanks to everyone who came for the meet-up. We hope you enjoyed it and that we will see you again.  Smiley

Also, we have a website available, it was a question I heard often during the meet-up. Here it is:
http://bitcoinembassy.ca/

Who are you at the Bitcoin Embassy?
Bungeebones

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:32:25 AM

Re: whether the word ambassador is political or not:
2 Corinthians 5:20
We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

The original quote is about two thousand years old but the translation into English  is just a few hundred
leckey

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:48:09 PM

Call me a cynic but having the word "Embassy" in the title makes it seem like this is being run by a bunch of egotistical morons with delusions of grandeur.

leckey

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:49:25 PM

Re: whether the word ambassador is political or not:
2 Corinthians 5:20
We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

The original quote is about two thousand years old but the translation into English  is just a few hundred

Oh my...  Roll Eyes

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:37:55 PM

Calm down poeple, this is just a name  
Get over it Roll Eyes

mangox

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 11:16:18 AM

Moje gratulacje stworzenia Ambasady Bitcoin napewno jest to niepodwarzalny aspekt umacniania Bitcoin .
Mam pytanie tzn. jeżeli jest stworzona Ambasada Bitcoin to czy mozna zlozyc podanie o paszport,z przyjemnoscia chcialbum byc posiadaczem paszportu Ambasady Bitcoin no i czy w razie przesladowan uzyskal bym azyl polityczny?.Jakie macie uprawnienia?

Pozdrawiam Serdecznie Smiley
Brunic

Activity: 632

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:19:12 PM

Moje gratulacje stworzenia Ambasady Bitcoin napewno jest to niepodwarzalny aspekt umacniania Bitcoin .
Mam pytanie tzn. jeżeli jest stworzona Ambasada Bitcoin to czy mozna zlozyc podanie o paszport,z przyjemnoscia chcialbum byc posiadaczem paszportu Ambasady Bitcoin no i czy w razie przesladowan uzyskal bym azyl polityczny?.Jakie macie uprawnienia?

Pozdrawiam Serdecznie Smiley

We don't offer any of these services. Thank you for your kind words.

I'd have to agree... I'd like the "Embassy" part dropped. I don't quite like it.

Call me a cynic but having the word "Embassy" in the title makes it seem like this is being run by a bunch of egotistical morons with delusions of grandeur.

The name was taught in french first, then translated into english. It's relatively common in french to qualify somebody as an ambassador when that person is a representative of a specific domain, like sports, music, arts, etc. It seems it's not necessarily the case in english. Your feedback is considered though.

Even if you don't like the name, we are working hard to promote Bitcoin. We share the same objectives, and we would appreciate if you could refrain from using personal attacks.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:53:27 PM

The name was taught in french first, then translated into english. It's relatively common in french to qualify somebody as an ambassador when that person is a representative of a specific domain, like sports, music, arts, etc. It seems it's not necessarily the case in english. Your feedback is considered though.

Even if you don't like the name, we are working hard to promote Bitcoin. We share the same objectives, and we would appreciate if you could refrain from using personal attacks.

Thanks and have a nice day.

In English it is fine to describe somebody as an ambassador of something, like you say, but it is always an informal description of the person, not an officially stated title. So a newspaper might describe a businessman as "an ambassador from such and such coalition" or whatever, but the man himself would never introduce himself "I am ambassador Jones", that would just sound pretentious. But the main point is that even though people may be described as ambassadors, nobody ever refers to their office as an "embassy". I am sure there is a different English word you could use. "Bitcoin Outreach Center", or something like that.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Namworld

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 10:29:18 PM

In English it is fine to describe somebody as an ambassador of something, like you say, but it is always an informal description of the person, not an officially stated title. So a newspaper might describe a businessman as "an ambassador from such and such coalition" or whatever, but the man himself would never introduce himself "I am ambassador Jones", that would just sound pretentious. But the main point is that even though people may be described as ambassadors, nobody ever refers to their office as an "embassy". I am sure there is a different English word you could use. "Bitcoin Outreach Center", or something like that.

Or even shorter and to the point "Bitcoin Center"
magiccoins

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 09:56:06 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2013, 10:17:22 PM by magiccoins

I'll tell you what I see.  I see a group of people that have dedicated an entire building, in a prime location, to Bitcoin.  I see a group of passionate and hardworking bitcoiners working around the clock to create a Bitcoin Shop, to create a welcoming permanent meet-up space where events, lectures and classes will also be given.  This bunch of "egotistical morons with delusions of grandeur" are not getting paid to do this.  In fact, they are investing their time, efforts, and resources into the project that also includes a bitcoin-only incubator along with the Non-Profit Organization with a clear mission to help the adoption of bicoin, engage dialogs with regulators and financial institutions.  The "bunch of morons" in question have been invloved in the bitcoin space for years and are all very active in the community.  

May I suggest that before expressing your feelings about a group of people over a simple name that you happen not to like, first take the time to look at what they are doing and trying to accomplish.  You might find that perhaps you should be encouraging them instead of insulting them.

Then again Leckey, it may be that your own contributions to the bitcoin community are so phenomenal that their puny efforts are meaningless to you.  Would you mind sharing all that you are currently doing for the community compared to those "egotistical morons with delusions of grandeur"?
jedunnigan

Activity: 279

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 12:03:18 AM

Alright guys, no need to make this personal.

I will say it again: no one is doubting the hard work that is being put into this establishment, nor [should] anyone be knocking the folks who are behind that hard work. That hard work however, does not shield them from constructive criticism nor does it make them perfect.

Supporters of the name continually link the words ambassador and embassy, a connection in that in English has very little (if any) usage outside stately context. It appears to me as though the French expression is more favorable with the founders. The point of this post is that it should not have to rest on the english or french expression winning out, but instead some common ground should be found so that a more reasonable, holistic name can be agreed upon.

I have made my arguments quite clear and was largely ignored. This entire page is littered with other complaints, as I hope the people behind this establishment have seen. Only more will come, and it will be a needless argument that will come up again and again. And for what? Because you wanted to be right and can't accept that a more agreeable name could be found? Blind attachment to anything is never good. 

Ultimately it is up to the founders and if they choose not to change the name then so be it. But they should be aware of the consequences of their actions, namely that the word embassy sends the wrong message about Bitcoin to newcomers. Plain and simple.
leckey

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:38:02 AM

Then again Leckey, it may be that your own contributions to the bitcoin community are so phenomenal that their puny efforts are meaningless to you.  Would you mind sharing all that you are currently doing for the community compared to those "egotistical morons with delusions of grandeur"?

Note where I say: "makes it seem like", not "these people are". Bottom line, the name makes them sound egotistical and stupid.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: